• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Pistol grip shotgun, 20 or 12ga?

Only a throwback to the days when shotgun shells were made of paper...not plastic like today.

The High Brass kept the larger volume of black powder from "burning through" the paper cartridge hull...

This according to the book "Cartridges of the World"...

Brass or aluminum is expensive compared to plastic. But metal is needed at the base of the shell to contain the pressure generated when fired. Low brass is for low pressure loads, i.e. lower velocity rounds and/or light shot loads. Higher pressure loads require "high brass", more metal at the base of the shell to contain the higher pressures generated during firing. More pressure, all other things being equal, results in more perceived recoil. Thus a high brass load recoils more than a low brass load. What's inside determines how much metal is needed. Cosmetics have nothing to do with it.

gummybear, I have another acquaintance that lives on one of the islands, and he said they were pretty anti-gun there so it doesn't surprise me that you couldn't get a permit signed. They even wanted to ban certain guns and magazine sizes. I'm not sure how that ever went, but I remember it being discussed several years ago.

As for brass size you mentioned, I used to think that as well, but is 100% WRONG.

While the ammunition industry has maintained a high brass base for higher power charges/loads, it doesn't have to be that way.

The main reason for high brass was way back in the beginning when everyone used a paper hull, so the extractor could still pull the hull out reliably because the powder would burn the paper hull weakening it, and thus often causing extraction failures, so they used a high brass rim.

But a high brass rim is no longer needed with the modern materials now at all.

With newer shells materials, the powder doesn't burn the plastic hull like it does paper hulls and it is entirely possible to load a low brass shell to "high brass" velocities. I do it all the time.

Even many "low brass" load recipes, the powder fills the hull up far above the low brass rim. I have a bunch of 1500 fps+ shells loaded in low brass Remington game club hulls right now. You can reload them a bunch of times.

OK, now I'm totally confused.
Is shotgun barrel length/overall length a federal regulation or state?
I'm about to start looking for a coach gun for home defense: a pistol grip side by side, and I was considering a 12 Ga.
I thought 18" was the shortest allowed, with a 26" overall length.
But I also thought this was just a California thing.
Also a 12 Ga is the only gage shotgun I've ever shot. I wasn't considering a smaller one, but should I and why?
(I take it that it's illegal to cut the stock off to make a pistol grip?)

Good questions.

Minimum weapon size is a Federal law. Though state laws can be more stringent, but look up the 1934 National Firearms Act for specific details concerning barrel length and overall length.

The general rule of thumb (thanks to Thompson Center and the Supreme Court), if the gun is made and registered as a pistol/handgun, it may be a handgun or converted to a rifle.

If however the gun is registered as a long gun, it must forever stay a long gun. While you may put a pistol grip on a long gun, the 26"+ overall length and minimum 18" barrel length requirements are still required.

That you John for being so on the ball. Without you, this place would be much less relevant and interesting.

And I might be a felon for cutting up shotguns. :confused:

Sadly, we're inundated with gun laws.

Read my signature line.

Also, sorry shooter13, I hadn't seen the 2nd page when I replied. You beat me to the punchline and I didn't see it, otherwise, there would've been no need for me to echo what you had already written.

Back