• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Pistol Mags and Mag Components

Botatch Mag Sale - last day

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com ... 8KGX6-U%3D

Link to the sale page - I have no connection to Botatch with the exception of being a customer. They are a TOP factory new Glock mag supplier with prices typically at $22 ea - no ship or tax. NOW they are at $19.95 - S&W too.

If you need mags this is about as good as it gets beyond buying used! I blew some cash on hold for other items.

Heads up!! :D

Re: Botatch Mag Sale - last day

Apparently this continues through today - fresh e-mail in my IN box. I have a good source for used Glock and Sig mags as well - usually LEO turn ins, feel free to PM me.

I now have two of the Kimber KimPro TacMags for the Ultra Carry II with officer length grip. They are 7 round flat floor plate magazines and come with a spare floor plate and two extended bumpers, medium and longer, with screws for mounting.

I purchased these out of a few different needs. The Ultra Carry II is an aluminum frame and the factory magazines follower would tilt forward on the last round extending beyond the lead edge of the magazine itself and could possibly strike the feed ramp. It may never be a severe issue but it was enough I began looking for skirted followers. Secondly, my standard factory magazine wouldn't feed standard hollow point ammunition without downloading by one round and even then it was sketchy. Finally, this will be my carry gun and I wanted a couple extra magazines.

I'm almost positive they are wad cutter feed lips and I'm 100% positive they're cycling hollow point ammo. I'll run them a little this weekend and get some pics to go along.

whats the word ? Are they reliable ? Fit right ? Good ? Bad ? What's the scoop ?

When these first came out after Shot Show, they had a number of failures to feed. Last April Magpul recalled them and fixed the problem. Any mag with a date on it later than 5/15 is good to go.

And now some pics. Some of these are a lower resolution, I had to resize them with no sort of middle ground to choose from.

Firstly, this is the difference in the followers, the left is the newer skirted style Kimber KimPro TacMag while the right is the standard 1911. The follower on the TacMag is Teflon coated stainless.

image.jpg

This is what comes packaged with each magazine. A solid flat removable floor plate is installed but a second is included with two thicknesses of bumper pads and screws for mounting. Once the bumpers are installed, a punch of some sort is required to remove the plate from the magazine.

image.jpg image.jpg

And a couple pics of the standard flat floor plate installed (my preference) and also the lower profile bumper.

image.jpg image.jpg

The bumpers are a hard molded plastic and are said to be "non cracking". So far, one magazine feeds hollow points without fail, the other is noticeably tighter to load and somewhat feeds but with the sort "ka-chunk" sound NiteSite described previously.

As best I can tell, the feed lips are entirely parallel which would make these wad cutter style I believe. Also, I'm not sure what the construction of the magazines is, if they're extruded stainless or what, but there is no weld seam like what is visible on the standard Colt style. The back of the stainless looks the kind of "grain" you see on stainless but its possible its a sanded finish similar to what we sometimes do at work which would remove the appearance of a weld seam if there was one.

***EDIT***
Just managed to look inside. The latter I described above about the sanded seam is the case.

I have piles if the factory mags, and have never had any problems either, but the Magpuls 27 round mags are $21.95 MSRP. I could get 2 of those for just a little more than 1 OEM 33 rounder. Definitely worth looking at.

I picked up one for my Glock 19. I ran 185 round through it a couple weeks ago, saved the last 15 rounds to leave the mag loaded. So far it works as it should but, you know, 185 rounds through one mag is hardly conclusive. However Magpul makes good stuff so if it doesn't work they'll take care of it.

I want to update on the Kimber KimPro TacMags I've been using for a year now.

Absolutely no failure to feed. No hang ups just reliable feeding. I still don't use hollow points, but rather the Corbon Powrball and FMJ ball ammo.

I have on occasion loaded the factory magazine and a couple 8 round magazines just to go out and target shoot. Neither the 8 round magazines nor the factory cycle completely reliably even with ball ammo.

I think next time I see one of these KimPro magazines on sale again I'll get another.

I want to update again with some more info since I replaced the mainspring housing including the magwell extension.

With the photos I posted earlier of the Kimber magazines, I showed also the removable floor plates and included bumpers or extensions. I figured at that time I had no use for them nor would I and I put everything away. But with the magwell extension I realize their usefulness and have switched the floor plates out. So I want to show what that looks like.

IMG_0936.JPG

For the price of these magazines, you're getting stainless with the skirted and teflon coated follower, two removable floor plates, and two bumper extensions. They're usually right around $30.

Back