• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Pistol Purchase permit Question. Please help if you can.

I have been unsuccesful in finding a reliable backgrond check on myself to find out if I even got convicted for this but here is what happened.

A few years ago my brother and I got into a fight. I won and he bitched out and called the cops. I was booked and released...I dont remember what the "charge" was for sure but I already know if they classed it as domestic that I wont be able to get a permit. IF they even put it on my record. It was in a tiny city called Colby in KS. There have been a few people I know from there that their records havent been updated. Thats besides the fact. My question is..if I was only charged with a misdemeanor assault and batery will I still be able to get a permit for NC where I have lived for awhile now.

Please dont just tell me to call a lawyer or the police. I dont want to go that route. If you KNOW anything about the actual law of have gone thru something similar please input your advice. Thanks

HonorablePain said:
Please dont just tell me to call a lawyer or the police. I dont want to go that route. If you KNOW anything about the actual law of have gone thru something similar please input your advice. Thanks

I'm not sure being charged is relevent, I think it's a conviction that will affect you.

Honestly you would be better off discussing this with a lawyer.

Sorry, not trying to sound like a jerk, just looking out for your best interests.

Only way to find out what's on your record would be to involve the police and do a voluntary background check on yourself.

I know you said you didn't want to involve the police, but the only way I can think of to find out is to go through them.

Colby County Courthouse may have the records as well, but again, you'll have to contact them to get that information.

Or if colby kansas doesn't have a courthouse, wherever the main courthouse in that area would have the info you need.

I believe you should probably know if you went to court and were convicted of this or not though. That's not too easy to forget something like that.

Of course you could do that, but all those companies do is a generic google search for public records with your name on them, and they don't usually work too good. You would be just as successful doing that yourself and save the $$

Either call colby kansas police dept and ask for a background check printout for yourself, or that local court house records, etc.

And doing a background check through the police is pretty simple and standard. Many employers require that before hiring for certain positions.

The only thing you'd really have to worry about is having an open bench warrant or something. And if that's the case, could likely cause red flags on the gun permit anyway, so it's not like that's something you can run and hide from.

You can submit a freedom of information act request for your public records. But that still requires you to go through the police dept and will take some time.

Your best bet here is to seek legal counsil, esp if the case is still open.

If the case is indeed still open you should NOT discuss it here in a public forum.

Oh yeah as far as I know Im good to go on that, no known warrants at least. Im not the law breaking type. My only concern now is that I am currently living in NC and no longer in KS so can they give that info over the phone?

you need to get in touch with the court where you were arrested and request a CERTIFICATE of DISPOSITION. there usually is a small charge. once you have this in hand you can apply in NC.

First off, I am not a lawyer.

Did you go in front of a Judge regarding any charges? If not, there is a very good chance that you were arrested, charged and the States Attorney chose not to pursue the charges and they were dropped. One would think you would remember it if you were convicted.

As long as there was no formal conviction made you should have no problem getting a permit......they have to go on convictions, not charges that didn't result in anything.

As far as looking up the info, here in Illinois we have a system called Judici which allows people to search Court records for each County by the persons name, for free. If they have a similar system in Kansas all you would have to do is plug your name in and see if anything comes up.

Back