• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Plug removed ?

I pulled the plug out of my 500 I don't hunt just for the gun range. Can I get in trouble for pulling as long as I'm not hunting with it. I think it holds 7 or 8 shells now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only time the plug is required is while hunting certain animals far as I know. I can think of no federal law that requires it.

Here in Connecticut, it's for turkey hunting. They only allow 3 shells in the gun at anytime. 2 in the tube and one in the chamber.

Last edited:
Just like the tags they put on pillows and matresses... " Do NOT remove under penalty of law." ( Give me a break )

Go right ahead and remove that damn thing...(keep it if you plan to hunt with it...) but, hell...why limit your capacity.

I'm NOT a lawyer...and I don't play one on TV.

Again the only reason the gun came with a plug is to limit capacity while hunting.
Cannot say that I have ever heard of any state that regulates capacity of a shotgun for any reason but that

Here in the UK, a shotgun can be max 2 in the mag, 1 in the chamber. Anything over that and it becomes a section 1 firearm, seperately and specifically licenced.

Don't worry, LTB45, our Governor and his band of leotard-wearing merry men (Murphy, Good Ol' Dick Blumenthal, Liz Esty, etc) will get around to it. Soon you'll have the option of the pre-ban H&R single shot or the H&R single shot. Then there's the H&R single shot. Pre-ban, of course. Shotgun loads will be changed to candy shots and biodegradable pinto beans for waterfowl. LIFESAVER rolls for buck slugs. Can't happen here, right?

You'll be fine as long as you don't go hunting without the plug. Mine didn't even come with one. Heck, I bet 99% don't come with a plug. Mossberg 500s anyway.

You only need it for certain game i.e. waterfowl. Each state may have some restrictions as well, as mentioned above for turkey. Otherwise you are fine to keep it out of the gun.

I rarely hunt ducks any more and I could not even tell you where the plugs are for my guns they have been out for so long.

Just a quick tip.
If you loose the plug and find you need it for hunting....
Use a chopstick. Free at almost all Chinese restaurants.

Back