• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Poor man's Garand

dieselmudder

.30-06
Elite Member
"Philanthropist"
The venerable SKS.

I picked one up a few weeks ago. Chinese, numbers matching, pretty clean overall. Only mods are an optic mount top cover, cheese grater upper hand guard, and 30 round duckbill mag.

Got the original 10 round box with it, so put that back in. Took the scope mount off, an ordered 200 rounds of mil surp ammo (just for the stripper clips).

Shot it the first time this evening, took the corrosive primer ammo off of 4 strippers, ( he he he, that sounds dirty) and put Wolf soft point on.

All loaded fine, although 1 clip failed to pick up first round, I simply racked the charging handle again and all was good. Cycled an shot fine. Bolt held open properly. Much more tame than the AK's.

Wasn't shooting for accuracy, just function check. Hit a full size steel silhouette, about 30 yards center mass no problem. Very happy with my purchase at $300.00. It will be my dedicated "barn gun" I will get down and do some better accuracy testing when time allows.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

It would be uncivilized to not own at least one Norinco SKS.

To be perfectly honest, I prefer my SKS over my AK's most of the time.

I actually had my SKS out last night cleaning it.

They're simple, they're basic, they're reliable, they're well built.

I never understood why people called them "cheap guns".

They may have been "cheap" surplus guns at one time or another, but they're not cheap made.

I wouldn't think twice about grabbing one of my SKS' in the heat of the moment.

Oh, maybe these pics will load.

PS. There are 2 Norinco sks in this picture

9b0556fb-3b4b-4df2-aba7-dc84be1a5b01_zps7e9861d5.jpg

I'll get pictures. I'm workin on a tight schedule. I would like to help the sights out a little. Keep them open, but somethin easier on the eyes.

I foolishly let my unissued all matching number Yugo SKS get away.

Great gun. Heavy brute though. I think a Grand would have been lighter. :)

I never did pick up an SKS. Wish I had bought a truckload when they couldn't give them away at gun shows.

I do have a WASR which is also a lot of fun. :-D

My Yugo...AK47

sAlM1Hv.jpg

53UMaGD.jpg

I think there are some people here politely pointing out that we still don't have pictures of your SKS yet ;)

yoo-hoo

200_s.gif

And you know the hijacks are only going to get worse until you do :laugh:

That's more like it.

I can stop picking at you now LOL

I've never really handles an SKS till this one, but for an old milsurp type weapon, it seems pretty clean. What little I've searched, you can't get much history from the S/N. Perhaps I've just not looked in the right place.

No, you won't get much information.

Rumor has it that the Chinese won't release information because they don't want outsiders to know what their capabilities are, meaning how many they can make, how many they have made, or for how long they have made them. That's actually why I don't think they've ever officially ended up on the C&R list because atf doesn't have an official answer as to the year they stopped production.

Oh, and there are more than a dozen different factory marks too.

factorycode41-1.jpg

Depending on the importer was, if it was keng's, you can email Chloe and get the month and year it was imported, but that's about all you'll officially find.

Those are the best pics you have?

Just kidding, nice, thanks for posting them up!

John, want to brainstorm some ideas with me about adapting the chevron style AR front sight post to this? Seems there's ready made adapters to put them in AK'S but it gets mixed reviews. The AR used 8-36 thread pitch, the AK uses M6x.75.

Back