• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Poor man's shooting rest.

old mossy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I was looking for a front shooting rest on the interweb and it was either this or a old dungeree leg filled with rice and sown up.
Some old wood scraps and a old door hinge and i'm good to go.

rest 1.JPG

rest 2.JPG

I use an old automotive screw type scissor jack,like one would find in an import car for changing a tire. knock or cut the top knuckle off and replace with your choice of stock supporting device. I used a piece of angle iron with the "V" facing up. I lined the inside of the upward "V" with some foam rubber I had laying around the garage. mount the jack to my base/table via c-clamps. elevation is easily adjusted just by turning the screw like you would to raise the car off the ground. junk yard special around $10

That's pretty impressive.
I built a portable shooting bench because they're just too expensive at the local sporting good stores.. I took a walker and bolted a small sheet of plywood to the top, using 8 spare nuts and bolts, and a little bit of pipe hanging strap. I took a bathing chair and use it as my seat. The whole set cost me around $20 from a thrift store

Have you considered putting in some small stop blocks running across the base plate so you can easily set up different heights for the top board.
It looks as if the blocking board you're using for the wedge might slip a little as you're shooting, and that would change the heights.
Putting in some steps would make it very repeatable.

index.php

I am "Mr. Modification" around my house so I love re-purposing old crap I got laying around into something useful again.
I dont do much bench shooting these days but I may just build one for my daughter and set it aside for a few years till she is ready to start shooting :)

Have you considered putting in some small stop blocks running across the base plate so you can easily set up different heights for the top board.
It looks as if the blocking board you're using for the wedge might slip a little as you're shooting, and that would change the heights.
Putting in some steps would make it very repeatable.

index.php

Great idea GEARCHECKER.

Back