• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

portable target stands

I am thinking about making a few of these this weekend. I am becoming a member at the local target range on Monday and I think I need to have my own if I remember the conversation correctly.

I saw a couple videos for some inexpensive portable ideas. Lets see what you put together if you have. Maybe I can incorperate several ideas/models for use.

I'll post pictures as I go.

I've been thinkin bout making my own to put out where Allison and I shoot. I have access to steel and everything to fab what I want, but I dont know how portable it would be. I imagine some smaller gong type stands wouldnt be too bad with legs and some chain on the gong?

What materials and how big were you gonna go?

Well I was going to start with a paper target stand, but I keep falling back to a gong as well. The thing that keeps me from investing in a gong style is riccoshet. Can you have a flat plate, or would you want to angle it somehow?

I would want to make one for slugging at the range and plinking with the pistols.

could you make a gong style that holds clays on it? i'd have to think about how it hold em on, but i just wanted to throw that idea out here in case someone has that kind.

(i was watchin brads video (nice video brad) and saw that he had duct taped them to a rope(?) or line and was using them that way)

i'll look at a few online and see what i can come up with.....

well this is what i was thinking of.....

xwQpf.jpg

http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-qg-tg-40932.html

also found this self sealing kind....
http://www.amazon.com/Do-All-Outdoors-I ... =ztest2-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00162JMH8/ref ... B00162JMH8

oh snap!!
here's one!
iQM54.jpg

http://allamericantargets.com/Photos.html

ripjack13 said:
could you make a gong style that holds clays on it? i'd have to think about how it hold em on, but i just wanted to throw that idea out here in case someone has that kind.

(i was watchin brads video (nice video brad) and saw that he had duct taped them to a rope(?) or line and was using them that way)

Ripjack, Thanks! The duct tape was my idea to take, but I wasnt sure how we would use it. Ally was the one who figured out how to implement it! ;)

I like the star thing you pictured cuz it moves once you start shooting, and the other is cool too, but when i see stuff like that, I cant imagine moving it over and over, though if the legs were shorter on the second one, that may work?

If you make gongs or other steel plate targets, be sure you use Brinell 500 steel. Mild steel will deform quickly and potentially cause ricochets that could injure you or those around you.

I made some portable stands for paper targets out of 1.75" PVC pipe.

Double (or triple if you want to put a friendly in the middle and a foe on either side)
DSCN1228.jpg

Single
DSCN1227.jpg

I use furring strips for the uprights. They're cheap and easily replaced.
DSCN1225.jpg

They work pretty slick. I had them out today and was doing three-target transitions. I had a hostage-scenario target on one of them like the one below and was consistently putting a 1" hole in the hostage-taker's head at seven and ten yards. :mrgreen: I don't know of any other 00 Buck that would have allowed me to do that.

le-10.jpg

Rossignol said:
ripjack13 said:

Ripjack, Thanks! The duct tape was my idea to take, but I wasnt sure how we would use it. Ally was the one who figured out how to implement it! ;)

I like the star thing you pictured cuz it moves once you start shooting, and the other is cool too, but when i see stuff like that, I cant imagine moving it over and over, though if the legs were shorter on the second one, that may work?

i think the long legs on the second one is so you can stick it into the ground.

you could also use toby's idea of pvc as a base for the same kind of holder... i know you're in the construction field ,so you should be able to figure out how to go about it the same way. that way it'll be much lighter and portable. i think i like that way a lot better too, now that i think about it...so i'm going to make one. i'll post up the drawings i come up with, and we all can suggest stuff to change or add, subtract off of it. then i'll make it. and all of us can make it after i work out the kinks of the building process....i also like the pinwheel one, so i need to figure out how to do one out of pvc as well. i like the idea of it being safer to shoot at than steel. it also will be fairly easy to fix and/or make again in case it gets way to shot up to fix.

Good deal Man!!! It will be cool to see what you come up with!

This thread has got me thinking about a setup for my shooting area!

DHonovich said:
This thread has got me thinking about a setup for my shooting area!

I know, for real!!! The pvc set up is sweet, and thats gonna be way easier than the wood stands Ally and I have been makin!

I gotta figure out a way to do the pin wheel and clays!

A couple tips on the PVC stands:
1. I don't cement them together. It makes them easy to break down for transport and easy to replace parts (see #2).
2. Carry some spare PVC parts with you to the range. I've had a couple people shoot holes in the PVC.
3. I toss and old tire or sand bag on them if it's windy. With a 24X36 cardboard backer stapled to them, they like to flop over.

yea i wasn't going to glue them. sand bags fer sure.

i need to get a hold/buy some clays, then i can start to figure out how to hold em in place...then i can go from there. holding em is the tricky part.....

Back