• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

portable target stands

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Widget-Shop- ... 4340.l2563

Super nice guy. I called to talk to him about shipping and ordering multiple gongs. I ended up buying over the phone and he shoved a bunch of gongs in a $12 shipping box so I got a 12” @$55,2x 10” @$35ea and 2x 6”@$23ea shipped for 12 bucks. Been shooting them for about a year with everything from 22lr to 300 win mag. and they have years left in them

Decide to rebuild a couple target stands yesterday, seem to last about a year with all the shrapnel from the gongs tearing up the wood. I have some thin sheet metal I will cut with the sheers at work and fix them to the wood adjacent to the gongs, which should help. this is the biggest one yet, 6'5" tall and a little over 4' wide.
IMG_1107.jpg

This one is done, no more cobbling can save this one.
IMG_1106.jpg

Dude, I have never seen such an organized work area in my life. :lol:

that is the first time anyone has ever said that about me.....must be the camera angle :lol:

I have been thinking of using 2x4 and some bolts with eyelets to make a folding one for easy storage and transport. There are a lot of good ideas on here! I never would have thought about the PVC pipe, that is clever!

My idea is leaning more towards paper targets or Insulation Foam, stuff used when water proofing the outside walls of your basement. The back side doesn't explode out like regular Foam boards. I'll see if I can draw up an idea and render it in AutoDESK for some visual ideas

Furnature foam might be better? Less mess to clean up after....

I am going to have to figure out what kind of foam my Step Father used for the Basement Insulation. When shot, just little bulbs popped out from where the projectile displaced the material. The back of the board did not burst out in a big chunk like some other foams would have. It was Pink and about 1.5" thick

Here is the second stand, a spot for paper. I added some simple aluminum sheet around all the gongs because the shrapnel from the splat is ultimately what led to the failure of the previous stand……I should have burned the wood and collected all the lead back lol
IMG_1155.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg

Wow! That is awesome!
I am glad you mentioned the Aluminum sheets because my plan is too use wood lol
I am still working my magic in the 3D programmer.. it's kicking my butt :p

I am trying to use AutoDESK Inventor to make my own portable stand. That is what I went to our Vo-tech for and I thought I was pretty good at it... the 2 years out of school has done it's toll lol

yeah, you dont use it you lose it , they say. I've probably forgot more crap than I know.....anyway just throw down some boards and start screwing chit together

haha ROGER! I would probably have better luck!
I used schematics in vo-tech to make a functioning MP5K on the desk top!
Teacher wouldn't let me 3D rapid prototype it :D haha Now I see people making stinking AR Lowers with the same programs!

Hands on approach works better, cuz in space no one can hear you scream about how it wont go together right. ;)

Finished up a couple targets.

One of my gongs had an ear break off so I made a stand and turned it into a static target

I found a piece of plate in the woods that was cut all weird but I instantly could see cutting it up and welding it back together to make paddles for a dueling tree.
I went to the scrap pile and found some pipe , piece of angle, some square tube and ended up with this.
Turned out decent for found stuff thrown together, should be fun

Back