• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Project Police Gun Overhaul

blacksmith

.270 WIN
We have two new project guns. Both are 500ATP from the 1980s. We got the blued 20" beater for blowout price and intended to redo it. However a few days later we found the 18.5 gun.

The park'd 18.5 shotgun is from 1982. In very good shape for what it is and is a great platform to build on. This is a no-frills slicktop gun; I never liked the taps in the receiver. It has the odd dots in the receiver that we documented here.

Here is the idea for the gun. We've already started but these things are never final.

• Barrel & Magazine in KrylonKote® Tactical Flat Black until I get it done right. This is a good, cheap finish- the trick is acid etch the steel.
  • Guts were stripped and zinc phosphate applied. Smooth, light grey finish is unique and improves function.
  • Inside receiver coated with PTFE dry lube. This + new finished guts are very smooth.
  • Steel silver bead sight
  • Green S&J follower. Hand-fitted since they can't get it right.
  • Polished Bore & Magazine Tube from here
  • Checkered barrel nut from here
  • Improved elevator from here
  • Aluminum trigger assembly. Adjusted to remove slack and Spring Mod
  • Late model forend tube with Polymer Ring
  • Steel safety switch and allan bolt
  • Ejector screw allan bolt
  • Extended Grade 8 stock bolt. Hand fitted for maximum thread contact
  • Necessary hardware Primed & Locked
  • Refinish wood stocks

Some of the parts used in this gun are available from Mossberg First Aid. Contact me if anyone has questions. As usual we'll do all we can to help.

http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum...d-quick-replacement-parts-for-shotguns.13383/

I'll bet money that that 18.5" gun action is slick as snot.

What happened to the front sling swivel? Different barrel?

I enjoyed this thread very much. Thanks!!!

You have my attention....

I've considered finding a Model 500 receiver and putting together another shotgun from the extra stock sets and barrel I have gathered LOL.
Mark

This has proved to be the most frustrating Mossberg I've ever dealt with. I knew that 1911s could not be slapped together and I've spent my share of time hand fitting parts.

I've never had to do that with a Mossberg until now. But we're learning and some of this data will go into FYI Mossberg Date thread. Apparently late model triggers and early trigger blocks don't go together. Also I was getting the dreaded empty chamber and live shell bottom ejects problem. I've head of this problem but honestly never seen it. After much swearing I figured out the late model interrupter was the culprit. The hook on the interrupter was too long and actually pushing the shell into the shell stop.

The original rifle sight barrel was swapped out for a bead sight. Mossbergs barrels are a two-piece construction just like everything else: the barrel itself and a separate barrel extension. Come to find out the extractor cut-outs are machined into the barrel and extension before assembly. This leaves the possibly that the cut-outs will not line up. And thats exactly what happened. A quick file job fixed it up.

The aluminum trigger was with the rest of them, in the trigger bucket. Speaking of which I tuned that trigger until sneeze-and-it-goes-boom. Probably need to back off a hair.

This is taking much longer than I'd planned. It took two months to get a good donor gun and may take that again to get it sorted out. I guess that is why they call it a project. Still need to do the stocks and I've got a plan I think yall will like. Also have a 20" setup that will go on this shotgun. Don't know what will happen with the blued ATP as I no longer need it. Maybe fixer up and give it to a good home.

Back