• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Public Service Announcement

oli700

12g
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Ok what you’re about to read is embarrassing as hell. I decided to post this because I want people to see what happens with complacency.

A little background, I reload and have for years. My shooting partner, good friend, partner at work have been reloading together for the past 3 years or so. We have reloaded 1000’s and thousands of rounds together.
We have a system. Whenever something is changed, the other checks it, regardless of how simple. I measure he measures the same thing to confirm, powder changes, primer changes, any component, seating depth…..the works is always double checked.

The last cal was 223, we loaded 500 and were struggling a little with our digital scale. Sometimes they drift a little , some say from static.

So this week’s caliber was 10mm auto.

You all saw the pics I posted and I am sure you put together we were questioning the fullness of the cases and wondering why they weren’t considered a compressed load…… now I know.

This week we decided since we were loading just under the top end that we would break out the beam scale and not mess with the digital for these, haven’t used in a little while.

I set it to 10.5 grains and had my partner check it “yep, 10.5”.
I loaded in the first throw and man it looks full. I thought I don’t remember that but it’s been almost two years since I loaded Blue Dot so I thought it was so, we double checked the scale, it must be……..
Loaded up a bunch, as per my hand written data of a favorite load, 180 fmj, 10.5 grains of Blue Dot, Fed GM LP primer, 1.260” COAL……all is good, powder was throwing good, we measure every 5th round or so to make sure it keeps in the desired grains.

Today I went out and grabbed another friend to go with me to shoot some AR and 10mm……like I do a couple times a week at least.

I set up a target stand to 15 yards, pull out the 29 and pull off the first round, “wow” I thought, I don’t remember these being so stout, but it felt good I like a stout recoil and load in this caliber, just about got the bull. I was impressed. Shot 5 more and was taken by the load and the sonic boom they provided sounded like a 12 gauge 3” mag.

I handed it over to my bud for the last 4 shots. He doesn’t shoot the 29 much but he has shot it. He pulls on the first shot and about lost the gun. I was like, “you got to hold onto that baby” he said “I was holding it tight”

I went out and found a brass real quick and was shocked to find a smiley…..a badass one, like almost a blown case bad. I quickly found the rest and all 10 were jacked up. I was puzzled…..I thought “do I need an aftermarket barrel ?”……that is how sure I was I couldn’t have done anything to cause this. Then it hit me in the face like an overloaded 10mm……the barrel adjustment on the scale.

I instantly call my partner in crime and told him to go look at the scale to see if it is 10.5 and if so measure it against the digital, I am on my way over.

He ran out to the garage and said “oh shit dude”…..it is set for 15 grains.

I had moved the barrel adjuster to 5 instead of .5…..we were loading 15 grains of Blue Dot the entire time and we both checked the measurement…..commented on it, posted here and commented on it again , found damaged cases and still didn’t think I was wrong…..complacency at its best.

I posted this here for reloading community to just be a reminder to triple check and slow down a little……these were extremely close to blowing the ass end off the brass and who knows……for the record the highest published load I have is 11 grains of Blue Dot for 180 Gold Dots and TMJ’s.

At the end of the day I lost 10 cases, could be worse….and I have to take apart a couple hundred rounds, hours of work blown and all but all the components are still good so I will reload them ……properly

[/URL
]

[URL=http://s45.photobucket.com/user/oli700/media/2a/IMG_2027_zpsaf6cd601.jpg.html][/URL
]

[URL=http://s45.photobucket.com/user/oli700/media/2a/IMG_2022_zps5cba43c6.jpg.html][/URL
]

[URL=http://s45.photobucket.com/user/oli700/media/2a/IMG_2023_zps4fbc08ad.jpg.html]
[/URL][/URL][/URL]

Great info for everyone oli about triple checking. Also glad nobody got hurt.

boy I feel stupid
I would have loved to put them through a chrony and the were accurate.

Glad all you damaged was some brass. Thanks for the reminder for checking and complacency. I'm loading by myself so all checks are done by me. I do have 50 9mm to take apart that I caught myself on. I screwed up the other way...to little powder.

Thanks for that confession. It sure makes you want to slow down and check and re-check. It can certainly happen to anyone. Sounds like it was a real handfull. Thanks for sharing that with us.

I didn't want to tell anyone lol, but hey owning and sharing my mistakes has never been bad to me so, I'm sure the rest of my life if chalk full of more learning moments

I use Blue Dot for some hot 9 & 40 rounds. When you get close to the edge it can get spikey and irregular. I don't like it in compressed loads even though it is a flake powder. Unique is far more even tempered IMHO with similar and even better results with some bullet weights.

I've got some water expanded bullet tests that I will share - Magtech 180 jhps in hot 40 S&W are really impressive. I've been loading up on them. Some more good ones as well.

I'm planning some 30 caliber shots when I get a good day or two - hope that is soon! I've been putting together a wide selection of bullets - that should be fun and informative.

*fingers crossed*

Thanks for the write up oli I agree could have been worse but glad it was caught in time! I'm kinda nervous about reloading but I got more research to do and a couple more pieces of equipment to purchase!

Last edited:
I use Blue Dot for some hot 9 & 40 rounds. When you get close to the edge it can get spikey and irregular. I don't like it in compressed loads even though it is a flake powder. Unique is far more even tempered IMHO with similar and even better results with some bullet weights.
Blue Dot is my all around favorite powder.
Love it in 10mm, 12 gauge slugs but these loads were beyond hot.
The next caliber I can find that used 15 grains of Blue Dot was in 41 mag but they were in 170gr HP not 180 like I was loading...170 grain HP in 41 Mag with Blue Dot MAX load 15.3 at 1534fps 37,500 C.U.P.....

Man, that was close! Glad no damage was done, but seriously if that had been a faster powder overcharged like that you would have hand grenaded your pistol. When you showed the photo of cases almost full to the mouth I wasn't too concerned because you said two of you, both experienced, were filling them. Boy, goes to show one can never be too careful.

I've never had another reloading person in the room helping me so the lesson I've learned the most from oli's story is triple check EVERYTHING and still if it doesn't look right STOP!!!

Something else to comment on... there are lots of anecdotal stories and posts all over the many "other" gun boards by reloaders who said they didn't see any pressure signs on their primers so they assume their heavy load, while at MAX published data, must be safe. Well, there are no "pressure signs" on oli's primers so this is never a safe method to guage your safe limits.

Thanks for the info Oli, I reload and am always concerned that that could happen. I use the same powers and keep it on the conservative side. I have been using Winchester WST and CCI large pistol primers on .45s. Seems to be a comfortable load and cycles the gun well.

Joe

The next caliber I can find that used 15 grains of Blue Dot was in 41 mag but they were in 170gr HP not 180 like I was loading...170 grain HP in 41 Mag with Blue Dot MAX load 15.3 at 1534fps 37,500 C.U.P.....

And those were tested in a Smith and Wesson N-Frame or a Ruger Blackhawk, right? Much stronger guns with cylinders that completely surround the cartridge case with no feed ramp support weaknesses. It's really a wonder that your brass cases held the over-pressure. Starline makes some of the best brass around.

I didn't want to tell anyone lol, but hey owning and sharing my mistakes has never been bad to me so, I'm sure the rest of my life if chalk full of more learning moments

Sometimes the mind sees what it wants vs what the eyes see. You wanted 10.5 and your mind saw 10.5 vs 15. Funny how crap like that happens.

Then again, if you were older we could say you had a "senior moment"...;)

When it comes to reloading of thing there is no such thing as too much double checking.

One of the reasons I have always stuck with a single stage press, I feel it forces me to be that much more cautious.

Good reminder for everyone Oli.

Back