• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question about dry firing training

Creekdog

Copper BB
I bought some A-Zoom snap caps for dry firing and loading drills. They work great, but my question is after using them how can you get the hammer back down without dry firing? I'd prefer storing the piece with the hammer down and chamber unloaded, plus I'd prefer not having to hit the slide release to chamber a round in a potentially stressful situation! Any tips?

Welcome to the forum from NY.

How about leaving the last snap cap in the gun after pulling the trigger? This would leave the chamber unloaded (dummy round) and the hammer down.....and have the tube loaded with live rounds.

Last edited:
IMHO the idea of dry firing a gun when there are live rounds in the magazine is asking for trouble. All it will take is one screw up leaving a live round ion the chamber rather than a snap-cap and BOOM.

FWIW I have dry fired my guns for years with no ill effects that I have noticed.

I don't do the actual dry firing with ANY live rounds loaded. I always clear the weapon and leave all live rounds in another room before doing any dry fire. I got 8 A Zoom rounds so I can load 3 in the tube and keep 5 in the ammo holder I have on the stock, which is how I how I store the piece, and then practice fire and reloads. That way if I'm ever reloading in the dark under real conditions, I'm not doing it for the first time!

Last edited:
I'm not sure but the manual seems to indicate leaving the action open and the Safety on for storage.
Manual pg 6-7.

UNLOADING
Move the safety button fully rearward (Fig. 2) to the “ON” (SAFE) position. During
unloading, never allow fingers or any object to contact the trigger. Keep the muzzle
pointed in a safe direction at all times.
Depress the action lock lever (Fig. 3) and pull the forearm rearward, slowly, until the live shotshell
is completely withdrawn and visible in the ejection port. Remove shotshell by hand.
Continue pulling the forearm rearward to release the next shotshell onto the elevator.
T
urn the shotgun so that the ejection port faces downward to allow the released shotshell to drop
out through the ejection port.
Push the forearm completely forward, closing the bolt without a shell being chambered.
T
urn the shotgun over so that the trigger guard is positioned upward and the gun
remains pointed in a safe direction.
Insert your right thumb into the opening in the bottom of the receiver and depress the cartridge
stop on the right side to release shotshells one at a time (Fig. 9). Repeat until all shotshells are
removed from the magazine tube.
Depress the action lock lever and pull the forearm completely rearward. Visually and
physically inspect chamber, elevator and magazine tube again to insure that no
shotshells remain in the shotgun.

Leave the action in the open, rearward position and the safety button fully rearward in the “ON”
(SAFE) position

Last edited:
Since I bought it for home defense purposes, I don't really want to store with the action open; that's just adding more time to load when time could be of the essence. For safety purposes, I'm against storing with a round chambered, even with the safety engaged.

Back