• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question about pinned forends on Mossberg 500?

Hello all, new guy here from the Buckeye state........Go Bucks!

First off, this isn't the usual which forend fits what thread.

I have enjoyed reading and learning about the Mossbergs and have recently acquired two, a Persuader 8 shot and a camo Turkey special with the ribbed/choked barrel. I really like the ergonomics of the mossys, finding them much easier for me to load.

My Turkey special in 12 ga (not the thug) was made around 2007. It is probably a cheaper built gun sporting a light weight stock and the pinned forend.

My question is this: Other than the cheesy feel and looks of the pinned forend, why do most want to change them out for the action tube version. What is it that usually breaks on them. My forend is the one with the longer rear section which partially covers the receiver when the pump is pulled back. It appears there is quite a lot of material which would not break out very easily. I saw some of the pinned versions have the holes close to the end of the plastic material. Do the forends in fact break the plastic, or is it just that the pins work loose and fall out? I have put some super glue in on top of the pins to help hold them in place.

I am a retired, worn out senior and will not be shooting the gun a lot. It will serve mainly as a HD shotgun with occasional trips to the range. I am basically a tight wad and do not wish to spend a lot just for cosmetics.

Thanks in advance for any insight on how the pinned forends generally hold up.

Tom

Welcome to the forum from Florida.

I can't figure out why either. They both work ok for me.

I believe the non-pinned is a stronger setup. You mentioned you don't shoot much, I wouldn't worry about it too much.:)

Welcome to the forum from Florida.

I can't figure out why either. They both work ok for me.

I believe the non-pinned is a stronger setup. You mentioned you don't shoot much, I wouldn't worry about it too much.:)

Thanks for the welcome and the information. The butt stock on the Turkey gun is pretty thin compared to the Persuader, but I thought the forend should hold as long as the pins don't work loose. I have also read of the metal tubes breaking welds.

Welcome to Mossberg Owners!

I have both types of forends also, 1 on a Persuader being the action tube, and the other on an 835 turkey model with the pinned forend.

For me it comes down to being able to customize the gun some of which is cosmetic where other things are functional. For example, I really like the Hogue Grips stock and forend set. I like the texture and feel as well as the look. I have the set on my Persuader with the action tube and would like a set for my 835 but I'd have to purchase the action tube for that too. As it is, I don't entirely dislike the pinned forend, I look at it more as Mossberg boxing themselves in by not giving users more options where there is sooooo much aftermarket support. It may be a turkey model but that doesn't mean we don't want to customize our guns. Yes the action tubes are available but it adds cost that doesn't exist with other models.

Welcome to Mossberg Owners!

I have both types of forends also, 1 on a Persuader being the action tube, and the other on an 835 turkey model with the pinned forend.

For me it comes down to being able to customize the gun some of which is cosmetic where other things are functional. For example, I really like the Hogue Grips stock and forend set. I like the texture and feel as well as the look. I have the set on my Persuader with the action tube and would like a set for my 835 but I'd have to purchase the action tube for that too. As it is, I don't entirely dislike the pinned forend, I look at it more as Mossberg boxing themselves in by not giving users more options where there is sooooo much aftermarket support. It may be a turkey model but that doesn't mean we don't want to customize our guns. Yes the action tubes are available but it adds cost that doesn't exist with other models.
Do you find the pinned fore arms hold up well? I guess that is my main concern.

Thank you for the welcome!

It has thus far and without foreseeable issues but its not a range gun. I don't dump hundreds of rounds through it. If I change anything I pattern it and if about dialed in for what I want I may only shoot two rounds. If I'm changing to a choke I've not used at all and I'm deciding on ammo I may shoot 10 to 15 rounds. Even so, I don't see any problems nor do I anticipate any in the future. I have no qualms with it other than I really want Hogue furniture on it because that's my preference.

Remind me to come back to this when I have more time and I'll post a couple pics that may be helpful. I'll be able to get back here about 6:00 this evening EST.

It has thus far and without foreseeable issues but its not a range gun. I don't dump hundreds of rounds through it. If I change anything I pattern it and if about dialed in for what I want I may only shoot two rounds. If I'm changing to a choke I've not used at all and I'm deciding on ammo I may shoot 10 to 15 rounds. Even so, I don't see any problems nor do I anticipate any in the future. I have no qualms with it other than I really want Hogue furniture on it because that's my preference.

Remind me to come back to this when I have more time and I'll post a couple pics that may be helpful. I'll be able to get back here about 6:00 this evening EST.
Thanks, I will try to post a couple pics of my Mossys.

I like those a lot!

Here are a couple things I wanted to show you and here's the link to the whole thread I posted in the 835 section;
http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum...oided-the-warranty-i-modded-the-forend.14546/

A couple pics of the sticky outy ear things on the end of the forend that overlap the receiver;

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I like the trimmed look way better.

I also want to show you the Hogue on my Persuader which is a 20" gun like yours. You can probably zoom in well enough to see the overmolded texture on the forend. Being able to do this stuff is what makes it worth having an action tube. And you can also see the surface rust and scratches.

image.jpg

I like those a lot!

Here are a couple things I wanted to show you and here's the link to the whole thread I posted in the 835 section;
http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum...oided-the-warranty-i-modded-the-forend.14546/

A couple pics of the sticky outy ear things on the end of the forend that overlap the receiver;

View attachment 11464 View attachment 11465 View attachment 11466

I like the trimmed look way better.

I also want to show you the Hogue on my Persuader which is a 20" gun like yours. You can probably zoom in well enough to see the overmolded texture on the forend. Being able to do this stuff is what makes it worth having an action tube. And you can also see the surface rust and scratches.

View attachment 11467
Looks good! I like the look of the Hogue stock and forend, also. Thanks for sharing the pics.

BTW, what shell holder is that on your Hogue stock?

My 500 came with the same sporting style pinned forend you have. I have not had any issues with it. I have seen two instances online of the pinned sporting style breaking. I question the circumstances that lead to the break. I actually like the way the sporting style pinned forend feels in my hand. It's not overly bulbous like the synthetic Mossberg sporting forend that goes on the 6-3/4" slide tube. A lot of people just like to switch out the pinned forend for tactical setups. Tactical 500s are extremely popular. I went through that phase with mine, but stopped before it got too out of hand. I ditched that stuff, and went back to the stock furniture my 500 came with, including the pinned forend. I still had the 6-3/4" slide tube I ordered. I wanted to know what the wood felt like on my 500, so I found a great deal on a wood stock (with interchangeable cheek risers) and forend set on eBay. They were brand new. My 500 wears the wood furniture right now with the 6-3/4" slide tube. However, I switch out the furniture every now and then. I have no problems with the pinned forend. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have changed a thing on my 500 if I could do it all over again.

You can see some pictures of my 500 here if you feel like it. I took some when I got the wood set for it.

http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum...action-photo-gallery.3368/page-60#post-192388

My 500 came with the same sporting style pinned forend you have. I have not had any issues with it. I have seen two instances online of the pinned sporting style breaking. I question the circumstances that lead to the break. I actually like the way the sporting style pinned forend feels in my hand. It's not overly bulbous like the synthetic Mossberg sporting forend that goes on the 6-3/4" slide tube. A lot of people just like to switch out the pinned forend for tactical setups. Tactical 500s are extremely popular. I went through that phase with mine, but stopped before it got too out of hand. I ditched that stuff, and went back to the stock furniture my 500 came with, including the pinned forend. I still had the 6-3/4" slide tube I ordered. I wanted to know what the wood felt like on my 500, so I found a great deal on a wood stock (with interchangeable cheek risers) and forend set on eBay. They were brand new. My 500 wears the wood furniture right now with the 6-3/4" slide tube. However, I switch out the furniture every now and then. I have no problems with the pinned forend. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have changed a thing on my 500 if I could do it all over again.

You can see some pictures of my 500 here if you feel like it. I took some when I got the wood set for it.

http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum...action-photo-gallery.3368/page-60#post-192388
That is one good looking Mossberg you have there JayC. I think the wood looks good with the flat finish of the metal. Thanks for sharing your pictures and your experience with the pinned forend.

@JayC looks great with the heat shield!

@Tomcat141 The stock pack is from Triad Tactical. I have a thread somewhere I'll find and link up. I have one on my 500 Persuader and one on my 835 too.

Triad makes some great stuff. Have one of their stock packs and a couple sand bags that are great quality and have worked out really well for me...

Thanks guys. I appreciate it!

Both those shell holders look really nice. I may have to pick one up sometime. I've got a cheapo Allen shell holder that has surprisingly held up pretty good.

I should have posted a link to one of the instances I spoke of, of the pinned forend breaking. It has some pictures of the break. I just have to question how they broke it. I think they would have to have had to be slam banging the crap out of it. My friend has the same 500 I do, and his pinned forend hasn't broke. He's not easy on his 500 either. He uses it for goose, duck, deer, and coyote hunting. So when these things break, I just have to question how.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=205609

Back