• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question about the 590A1 - 9 Shot - U.S. Service Model with Tactical Scabbard #50676

I read in another thread that, aside from the engraving, serial numbers, and scabbard, the difference between the U.S. Service Model (#50676) and the slightly more expensive standard 590A1 - 9 Shot #51660 is the recoil pad.

I think there was some speculation about how a rep told someone that the U.S. Service Model was 1/4" longer than the standard model. The Mossberg website lists both of these shotguns with a 14.25" LOP.

Before I go on, let me preface this by saying I don't really care about milspec.

That said, the overall length of both shotguns is within milspec (39-42 for type II, and III, and 39-44" for type I), as are the barrels obviously (milspec is 20" +/- 1" ), but the MIL-S-3443G manual states that neither type I, II, or III shotguns can have a LOP of more than 14" (13 5/8"-14" is the spec).

That said, does anyone know for sure if there's a difference between these to recoil pads (other than what you can see in the pictures)?

Does one control recoil better than the other?

Assuming for a moment that the specs on the website are wrong, does the Service Model really have a 14.5" LOP if it is truly a 1/4" longer, or does the standard model really have a 14" LOP?

Since milspec is 14", I'm thinking the opposite is true and that the U.S. Service Model may be a 1/4" shorter to be milspec.

It's been awhile since I've owned shotguns, and they were for hunting. I suspect I'm going to want to replace whatever it is with something shorter eventually anyway, but if one is shorter or softer recoiling than the other, I might as well get that option unless the difference isn't worth the $30-$40.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum !!

According to the website...you are correct...both shotguns LOP are 14.25"

As far as your main question...

I do have both a Mossberg 500 with the standard recoil pad...and a Mossberg 590a1 ( #51663 ) with the recoil pad that has the air spacers ( for lack of a better term )... I myself prefer the 590a1 recoil pad over the standard recoil pad...if for no other reason than looks.

Big difference ?...not really...but some.

Worth the price difference ?...not really...your choice.

Hope that helps.

I've had both the 500 20" and 590A1 20" with heavy barrel. Both guns had identical recoil pads and both stocks measured 14-1/4". Which I've long felt was unnecessarily long. I changed both to Hogue stocks.

Back