• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question: Coloring stainless steel blades

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
Does anyone know of a simple method of coloring 440C stainless, other than paint? Something like hot blueing that can be done by the avg person at home. I've googled it but no joy. I've got several knife kits I'm doing and would like to darken the steel to black, dark gray or similar. Looking for something permanent or semi permanent/durable.

Lemme check with my knife gurus.... hold please.

Stainless I'm unsure, but my knife guru used Ferric Chloride on the blade for my father

a9e80ac25c03afa913f6441ca4d2a346.jpg

However this is a carbon steel.
I just wanted to show off this sweet blade ;)

This is from one of the guys....

Winchester's stainless gun barrels came out in the 30's. They couldn't figure out how to blue them so they "Japanned" them, whatever that is. Some sort of paint I suppose. It didn't last and came off quick. People got mad. Winchester abandoned the stainless thing because of this. They sold all remaining stainless barrels in stock for scrap. Fast forward to now...stainless guns everywhere. All bare metal. There is no way to "blue" (as in the traditional sense) stainless that I know of. Gary

This is from one of the guys....

Winchester's stainless gun barrels came out in the 30's. They couldn't figure out how to blue them so they "Japanned" them, whatever that is. Some sort of paint I suppose. It didn't last and came off quick. People got mad. Winchester abandoned the stainless thing because of this. They sold all remaining stainless barrels in stock for scrap. Fast forward to now...stainless guns everywhere. All bare metal. There is no way to "blue" (as in the traditional sense) stainless that I know of. Gary

Japanning is what was used on pre-war cast iron hand planes. It's basically a thick black lacquer. I have a few of those, and it's definitely not suitable for knives or much of anything else.

brownells #84 is what they suggest for preparing stain less applications. Then you follow it up with a standard hot blue bath. Not sure if that helps. Problem with stainless is that its made by default to not stain easy thus the name. Good luck. Some of the other methods involve seriously dangerous chemicals. I would avoid those routes entirely unless your experienced in that type of stuff.

Thanks, y'all. I looked up the brownells, and wow is that stuff expensive!:eek: I reckon I'll just be content with shiny blades.

Only way I know of is heat but stainless warps so bad when heated would be a crazy heating rapid cooling process to keep it straight

The only stainless blades/barrels I have seem that were colored were painted and it didn't seem to hold up to well.

This is another reply....(Robert Flynt) his knives are flipping awesome Gunny....

Check Brownell's web site they have several types of finish you can apply. Some has to be heated after application, some not. I'm sure they will have something that will work for your friend. I don't think regular hot blue will color stainless the color he wants it. I know there is a company that does it but I can't think of the name.

Sorry I don't have much info for ya man.

Back