• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question of the Month. December 2014

Would you buy a firearm that was used in a suicide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Howdy,
This is a monthly series of questions topic for everyone to join in on the discussion. Some of the later questions may have a poll, and some will not. Don't be shy now, go ahead and post an answer and vote in the polls...

The holidays are coming and with this joyful time comes depression. Recently a friend of my friend committed suicide, and this got me thinking about it....so...here's this months QotM...What are your thoughts?

Would you buy a firearm that was used in a suicide?

**Rules**
There is no minimum post requirement. :D

Guns are tools. I would buy only if I didn't know the person the tool was used on... Same with a homicide piece... I don't know what I would do if I DID know the person--maybe offer to destroy it for the seller... :oops: Tough question but unfortunately timely as this is the "season"... :(

Many military arms have killed, like it or not. Other civilian arms may have been fatally used unbeknownst to the purchaser.

IDK. It would depend on whether I knew the person, how close we were, family, etc.
Something of historical value would be interesting, a collectors item if you will. I would imagine that most times the weapon is destroyed or confiscated by the authorities as suicide is still a considered a crime.
I don't think it would be as eerie as buying a house that was owned by Jeffrey Dahlmer or Ted Bundy, though...:eek:

Dude. Bad juju.

That's how I feel about parts from any wrecked bike that I work on. We keep all the stuff that is replaced and a lot of it has small nicks or scratches. Some of it is not noticeable. But I won't put them on my bike even if my manager lets me keep them...

Hell yes, as long as sale is legal and it's not still wanted by the police as part of the investigation.

I am finding it interesting that people are saying no. How many times in our gun debates do we all say the person is responsible for their actions, not the gun? Now in this case it's the gun? It's just a tool, people are responsible for their actions. I'll buy them alll Buwahahahahahahaha......

Don't call me when your kid is sucked into the tv cause of all that bad juju you gots creeping in your house lol

No, I couldn't. I know where MikeD is coming from and having a battle rifle with notches in the stock would not bother me. A suicide gun would bother me though. Bad mojo like WM said.

This one hit close to home. My father in law killed himself with a no name .22 single shot rifle 10 months after we got married. Several weeks later when the investigation had concluded I was tasked by my MIL to call the state trooper to insure the rifle would be destroyed. He said it would but then called me back the next day and said it might not be. He told me I'd have to take possession of it if I wanted to be assured it was destroyed. He said it would be a shame to destroy it and made me an offer that was more than the gun was worth. He got pushy about it in a creepy way and I had to turn him down 3 times. It made me wonder if a market existed for suicide guns. I met him the next day at the barracks, took possession of it and torched it to pieces. That was my MIL's wishes and it was fine with me.

@carbinemike in a case like this where the event was close to home I might think otherwise. I would not want to be reminded of the event every time i saw/used the gun.

Many of my guns were bought used. I have no way of knowing what they may or may not have been used for prior to my owning them. I guess I never think about it much.

Past firearms that I have bought or traded for have been from a local dealer, never put any thought into the previous owner or what they were used for!! Not a comforting thought !!

@carbinemike .

Many of my guns were bought used. I have no way of knowing what they may or may not have been used for prior to my owning them. I guess I never think about it much.
Being that 10-12K people end their lives with a gun each year (of which 2M people die annually) chances are significantly low that any gun purchased by you was involved in a suicide.

Being that 10-12K people end their lives with a gun each year (of which 2M people die annually) chances are significantly low that any gun purchased by you was involved in a suicide.
It's actually real close to 20,000/year for suicide by gun. In the scheme of things that still makes it unlikely to buy one. The reason I know it's close to 20,000 is because I have looked it up and used the number against anti gunners. They add those 20,000 to the 9,000-10,000 murders and claim "30,000 per year die from gun violence".

If I bought a used gun I don't think it would cross my mind what it had been used for in the past. Does that mean bad mojo is just in our heads?

It's actually real close to 20,000/year for suicide by gun. In the scheme of things that still makes it unlikely to buy one. The reason I know it's close to 20,000 is because I have looked it up and used the number against anti gunners. They add those 20,000 to the 9,000-10,000 murders and claim "30,000 per year die from gun violence".

If I bought a used gun I don't think it would cross my mind what it had been used for in the past. Does that mean bad mojo is just in our heads?
Never did believe in luck or anything eles like that man but to own a gun that someone offed there self with is just alittle F--- up!!

Most likely yes. Unless it was being sold as part of the estate of close friend or family that took their life with it. Dunno if i could deal with that. But on the other hand, if it was something of pride to the original owner, and their family couldn't stand having it around I would buy it to keep it from going to someone that may not appreciate it. Largely circumstantial, guess I would have to cross that bridge if I get there.

Back