• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month. (December 2019) (Gun Sanctuaries)

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Howdy,
This is a monthly series of questions topic for everyone to join in on the discussion. Some of the questions may have a poll, and some will not. Don't be shy now, go ahead and post an answer and vote in the polls...

Will Second Amendment Sanctuary Counties make a difference or are they just a symbolic statement.

(Second Amendment Sanctuaries are counties that refuse to use local police officers to enforce state or federal gun laws that they view as unConstitutional.)

I would like to think sanctuary counties would make a difference, but I don't hold my breath. If I worked 200 miles from a sanctuary county it would be difficult to move there. However, if I were to enter the country illegally I would head straight for a sanctuary city.

Last edited:
I think 2A Sanctuary Counties will work if the trend continues. Strength in numbers. But there may be "moles" brainwashed in the academy that need to be coaxed into towing the line...

yet to be seen .......I believe SAPO started in Oregon and spread to other states . Because other states are in the boat now. So far its just a statement and we have many counties in it at this point.
You guys back East are starting to see , like I said here years ago........no state is immune I about crapped when I heard the about Kentucky and Virginia becoming blue states

The notion that you can have a locality void a state law by declaring yourself a sanctuary is probably not going to hold up in court. But laws, at the end of the day, need somebody to enforce them. Cops and local sheriffs who make laws they don't like their lowest priority aren't doing anything illegal, but their decision effectively nullifies the laws in question.
Second Amendment sanctuaries might be an effective way to resist gun control legislation and aren't going anywhere anytime soon. I hope it sends a message to the authoritarian control freaks.

It's like the story about throwing a starfish back into the water: "It mattered to that one."

Here in our county it matters.

Our sheriff supports the 2A, and a CCW is generally available, but in many others lack of the CCW issues is the least of offences. If I lived closer to the coast, ammo or gun stores would be generally unavailable in many towns. Cities simply don't approve the stores for a license, citing some vague and general public sentiment.

Virginia democrats are starting to make threats against the sanctuary counties.

Democratic lawmakers on Capitol Hill say local police who do not enforce gun control measures likely to pass in Virginia should face prosecution and even threats of the National Guard.

After November's Virginia Legislature elections that led to Democrats taking control of both chambers, the gun control legislation proposed by some Democrats moved forward, including universal background checks, an “assault weapons” ban, and a red flag law.

Legal firearm owners in the state, however, joined with their sheriffs to form Second Amendment sanctuary counties, which declare the authorities in these municipalities uphold the Second Amendment in the face of any gun control measure passed by Richmond.

Over 75 counties in Virginia have so far adopted such Second Amendment sanctuary resolutions in the commonwealth, the latest being Spotsylvania County. The board of supervisors voted unanimously to approve a resolution declaring that county police will not enforce state-level gun laws that violate Second Amendment rights.

Virginia Democratic officials, however, already say local law enforcement supporting these resolutions will face consequences if they do not carry out any law the state Legislature passes.

“I would hope they either resign in good conscience, because they cannot uphold the law which they are sworn to uphold, or they're prosecuted for failure to fulfill their oath,” Democratic Virginia Rep. Gerry Connolly told the Washington Examiner of local county police who may refuse to enforce future gun control measures. “The law is the law. If that becomes the law, you don't have a choice, not if you're a sworn officer of the law.”

Democratic Virginia Rep. Donald McEachin suggested cutting off state funds to counties that do not comply with any gun control measures that pass in Richmond.

“They certainly risk funding, because if the sheriff's department is not going to enforce the law, they're going to lose money. The counties' attorneys offices are not going to have the money to prosecute because their prosecutions are going to go down,” he said.

McEachin also noted that Democratic Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam could call the National Guard, if necessary.

“And ultimately, I'm not the governor, but the governor may have to nationalize the National Guard to enforce the law,” he said. “That's his call, because I don't know how serious these counties are and how severe the violations of law will be. But that's obviously an option he has.”

Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring blamed the numerous Second Amendment resolutions in the state on the “gun lobby” as a tactic to frighten state residents.

“The resolutions that are being passed are being ginned up by the gun lobby to try to scare people. What we’re talking about here are laws that will make our communities and our streets safer,” Herring told CBS 6.

“So, when Virginia passes these gun safety laws that they will be followed, they will be enforced,” he added.

When today's Democrats have control the constitution no longer matters. They want to rule with an iron hand. Only the laws that fit their agenda matter to them.

Will Second Amendment Sanctuary Counties make a difference or are they just a symbolic statement?

About 2 weeks ago I started doing research on sanctuary counties... and cities and towns. But the raw data was sort of meaningless. Face it -- a SanCo in CA is perhaps more significant than one in a conservative state like here in TN. But it is still CA, and nothing is permanent in politics. I expect sanctuary status in many CA counties will be ephemeral.

All of our last 3 sheriffs have declared this county a de facto Sanctuary County by stating that they would not allow such things as seizure or confiscation. They have supported gun owners by declaring they would deputize armed citizens if need be to preserve peace and back the 2nd Amendment.

So actual declaration of sanctuary status may not mean much to me. I would hate to have to have a perpetual threat of seizure and confiscation over my head, so I will not live in certain states like IL, NY, CA. Wouldn't go to those state even into a SanCo. Things can change real fast.

For now they are a statement. The difference would come if a big-head governor or mayor wants to force his/her hand and pit law enforcer against national guard/state police. I think what would happen before that is the governor would relieve the sheriff of his/her duties and install a political pawn in place that would remove the 2a sanctuary...

Bobster, I think you are spot on. These governors, mayors, and city managers et al. know how the local law enforcement heads lean. They would try to remove them before actually proceeding with enforcement.

I actually think sanctuary counties are having an effect in Virginia. It's close to 80% of the counties now. In Texas, there are a few sanctuary counties. Those, for the time being, are mostly symbolic.

I actually think sanctuary counties are having an effect in Virginia. It's close to 80% of the counties now. In Texas, there are a few sanctuary counties. Those, for the time being, are mostly symbolic.

I'd like to know if you are right [I sure hope so] in light of this headline.

Virginia Governor Northam Increases Corrections Budget In Anticipation Of Jailing Gun Owners

As if Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam’s wholesale attack on law-abiding gun owners wasn’t enough, the disgraced public official and his Michael Bloomberg-bought allies in the General Assembly now want the state’s hard-working taxpayers to foot the bill for their unconstitutional schemes. The budget bill (HB30) includes an appropriation of a quarter million dollars to carry out a host of gun control measures that Northam and his anti-gun allies hope to enact.

The $250,000 is appropriated to the Corrections Special Reserve Fund in order to provide for the “increase in the operating cost of adult correctional facilities resulting from the enactment” of Northam’s gun control measures. Among the enumerated laws that this allocation is meant to fund is a ban on commonly-owned semi-automatic firearms, the criminalization of private firearms transfers, and gun confiscation orders issued without due process.

Back