• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month. (July 2018) (Bug Out Handgun)

I don't currently own a .50 or even a .46 ( ;) ) so my .45 or any good 1911 type.

Glock might be better tech, but I shoot the .45 better. My 9mm is a great gun, but Lugers are WEAK.

I would carry lugers in a belly gun only I wouldn't be taking a belly gun.

Full GI combat model 1911-A1.

Ima let someone else take that bait, to many scars from that battle; having fought it from both sides over the years. I will ad one tidbit if I were in a capacity restricted location and only fmj was allowed .45 would be back in rotation.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to tell anybody which one is the better gun DJ. Of the guns which I own, that is what I would take.

Now, of Guns I don't own? Who knows? Any gun that I practiced with is better for me than one I've never seen before.

Regarding ammunition: if availability of luger ammo is wider, then the availability of Luger pistols etc will be as well. I would pick one up if the opportunity arose, but they wouldn't be my first choice.

All that being said, I would give a lot to own a really nice pre-World World War II Luger, and it might still happen.

. . . if I were in a capacity restricted location and only fmj was allowed .45 would be back in rotation.

If you're in a bug out situation, what "is allowed" wouldn't necessarily be a consideraton; nor would I consider leaving home without a shotgun.

Hmmmmm...I have never shot a long snout 9mm pistol. Just the compact & sub-compact. The Navy Luger with long barrel would be a real treat.

This thread has made me think more about the 9mm Para & now I want to go try the 9mm long Baretta.

Depends where I am... if the Apocalypse happened while i was in the US, it would be a Glock 21... 13 rnds of .45 goodness.. :)

If i was here in the Uk, whatever I could find... or i could take a hacksaw to my Taurus 66 .357 and get rid of the rear rod, and over half the barrel...

I’m with WaterMonkey. Haven’t had one not fail.

If it’s one I own, I’m with Meanstreak on the ammo. I’m thinking about what I can find. It’s gonna be my 1911. Yes it’s failed, but I’ve also wrung the heck out of it finding it’s faults and I’m happy to report that it’s at least been a long time since I’ve had a failure. Def gonna do like WaterMonkey and take a bottle of oil with me. Maybe a quart.

If it’s something I don’t already have, I want a 300 blackout pistol. Ammo isn’t plenty so that’s a bit of bummer. So then that leaves a 9 maybe.

I know that my reply is drifting somewhat off topic, and while I have no immediate plans of bugging out, I have considered the slight possibility it could happen with an NBC or other catastrophic event where I would be in the red zone, or depending on the jet stream at any given time, the fallout zone.

With that said, I have two small 30 caliber ammo cans that I have EVAC painted on which have a few handfuls or boxes of ammunition for every caliber of firearm that I own in case I did not have the luxury of having the extra time to dig through my box to find some. This will allow me to grab the box and whatever gun I could get my hands on first and go. The other 30 cal ammo can has some cash (which no one seems to accept when the power or internet is down) so that will be largely useless, and some first aid and necessary medicines that my wife has to take.

Hopefully I won't need full cases of ammo to survive. If it's that bad, the situation is going to be a lot worse than I can probably handle in the first place and I'll end up a statistic.

I still vote for the shotgun.
Any shotgun. Hacked off at the last minute would be just fine.

If for some reason I have to point a gun at another human being, I want him to be damn sure of his situation.

If it's a big game animal I don't want to be holding a pistol.

If there's a riot I want to be the one with a riot gun.

It's questions like this that make us think about our situation and therefore hopefully be as prepared as we can be. Everyone has different situations to consider. The main thing is we are thinking of situations and scenarios and making a plan.

I still vote for the shotgun.
Any shotgun. Hacked off at the last minute would be just fine.

If for some reason I have to point a gun at another human being, I want him to be damn sure of his situation.

If it's a big game animal I don't want to be holding a pistol.

If there's a riot I want to be the one with a riot gun.

Agreed! A shotgun is my weapon of choice!

Back