• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month. (June 2017)

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Howdy,
This is a monthly series of questions topic for everyone to join in on the discussion. Some of the later questions may have a poll, and some will not. Don't be shy now, go ahead and post an answer and vote in the polls...

Do you know how to defend yourself, without a firearm?

With these radical shitbags attacking innocent people in London, this brings up a great question....

**Rules**
There is no minimum post requirement. :D

No. Not adequately, I confess.

In College [mid 60's] I studied and taught Karate. I still know some moves, strikes, kicks, defense, etc. But I have not practiced it enuff in recent years to claim any residual skill at a useful level. I am embarrassed as I write this.

[I do have a sidearm on me right now.]

I would say no. Not if the attacker is at all trained. Which it seems, many of these jihadis are traveling to places in the Middle East where they may be receiving some rudimentary training.

In the London scenario, my options and choices would probably be much like those of the few who stood to fight. Throw stuff and create obstacles to buy time.

Bring it bitches....

I still train. My buddy in the video (big guy) got his black belt in another system and bought out the place last year. I left my dojo for personal reasons and have been assisting in his karate program while he focuses on Krav Maga.

oh... and I've done full contact karate fighting from 1997 - 2009. After that the injuries piled up and I can no longer compete 100% but I can still train. No weight classes kinda puts a hurting on a short guy like myself.

Raul

edit:

found another vid that shows some classical Okinawan Kara-te stuff and Bogu Kumite (fighting) training.

I'm a Nidan (second degree) black belt under Hanshi Albert Geraldi. He's the senior student of the late Taika Seiyu Oyata who formed Ryukyu Kempo (aka Ryu Te). I've been teaching and promoting this system the past 20 years.

Last edited:
A: Yes (unarmed). More so with some kind of tool or edged weapon.

I think about being fire-armed in such a scenario: car/truck rampaging through a crowd. I like to think I would be firing at the driver through the windshield. "But what if it is some old or drunk person driving?" (as happened in NYC a month or two ago) If some old or drunk person is driving through a crowd I see no difference in the ultimate solution for protecting pedestrians and that would be taking the driver out to stop further death and destruction.

Crazies with "bomb" vests jump out of the vehicle? I would be shooting for the head or neck. Bomb, if present and not a hoax, will be going off regardless and I think the closer to the vehicle the better. I would be throwing things at them like bottles and so on if I did not have a gun.

Self defense is a question that's frequently on my mind nowadays. You guys could probably tell considering the number of guns I posted last year.

Could I do it without firearms? Well I do own other weapons , but I haven't done any karate, judo or wrestling since I was a kid. Any boxing I did was strictly limited to schoolyard fights.

The one thing I have going for me is age and rage, and maybe a pocket knife, plus at my age there are few compunctions about honor or mercy in these matters, and none at all if I have to defend someone else.

I'm going to be realistic here... I dont think any of us have a chance against a suicide bomber. The element of surprise and speed at which they detonate.. just hope you're not in the immediate blast vicinity.

Car.... GTF out of the way. And it's gotta be fast reflexes... Car going 30+ mph down a road then unexpectedly veers off into a crowded sidewalk, outside restaurant? Yeah... even jackie chan can't get out of the way fast enough especially with people obstructing your pathway of escape.

If I'm lucky to survive both scenarios and an attacker is walking about with an edged weapon... I'll give him a go to save others. I'll accept I'm going to get cut and probably critically.... nobody gets away from a knife attack uncut unless you have a significant tactical advantage (weapon or element of surprise or both).

I've done enough reality based self defense training to know... I'm human and this isn't crouching tiger hidden dragon.

Well none of us are more than human, and in a London type terrorist situation the immediate choice that we will have is whether to go down like a warrior or go down like a gay waiter.

A: "But what if it is some old or drunk person driving?" (as happened in NYC a month or two ago)

If thats the same one I'm thinking of, it wasn't some old drunk person...
Id have to find the video to be sure we're talking he same guy...

Well none of us are more than human, and in a London type terrorist situation the immediate choice that we will have is whether to go down like a warrior or go down like a gay waiter.

You'd be surprised what adrenal dump will do and how people react who have never been exposed to violence. I've seen some big dudes fall apart under pressure.

like I was saying... tell me how fast your reflexes are walking down the street. Most only saw the car in their peripheral vision which is way too late for that kind of speed.

You also have to take into consideration people's assumed safety and overall decrease in situational awareness because of it. You're programmed to let your guard down from oncoming traffic while on the side walk. You're not paying attention to traffic patterns unless you're trying to cross the street.

If that car was on my six I'd probably get hit unless the screams alerted me prior. If I was in the first group hit I wouldn't have escaped it. Way too fast to process rationally.

You'd be surprised what adrenal dump will do and how people react who have never been exposed to violence. I've seen some big dudes fall apart under pressure.

Well unfortunately I never had any real hand-to-hand military training.

But as an Air Force brat I moved around from school to school to school like 14 times. At each new school there was a fight. I learned to deal with it.

But that crap hasn't happened to me since 1972. I graduated from high school started engineering school and I started carrying a serious jackknife, wore kick ass boots with a Square link chain on the right one from an ag conveyor machine, which would separate to become a serious double set of 4 iron knuckles.

But after high school I never got into another physical fight with anyone.

The only time I came close was in 1981, pushing my daughter down the sidewalk in a stroller at some small town art show, and a violent drunk bolted out of a doorway & started berating me loudly about how ugly he thought my hat was.

Before I figured out what to do his friends drug him back inside.

It has been 36 years since I had to confront anything like that.

Always been pretty confident. Trained since very young. That said ive givin some ass whoopins and worn a few too. But reality is age and wear and tear of a long hard career have taken toll on the body. I throw down with the sons in laws and son all of whom can hold their own and i dont have the stamina. Swift violence of action would be a must with a hefty helping of good luck. I believe the grey matter between the ears is number one weapon be aware of surroundings and be prepared. Neighboring town just had a 63yr old beat to death by a 20 yr old young buck. I carry for a reason i will put lead in your chest and let lawyer earn his pay if need be. When i cant carry (rare) im aware of were I go and my old friend an XL Cold Steel Voyager is on deck.

Always subscribed to the your either a wolf or a sheep theory. We were definitely raised as wolves. I like to think i have evolved though morphing into a porcupine. I bother no one going about my business jump on if ya want to.

I suggest either automobiles be banned except to trained, qualified, and licensed persons- OR -ballards are installed at two foot intervals along every path of foot traffic in every city in every state.

Back