• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month. (March 2020) (Virus Thread)

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Howdy,
This is a monthly series of questions topic for everyone to join in on the discussion. Some of the questions may have a poll, and some will not. Don't be shy now, go ahead and post an answer and vote in the polls...

Do you expect the Corona Virus to becoma a pandemic and have you done any extra prep for it?

With modern means of global travel I could see Corona virus becoming epidemic in places such as third world countries, but probably not pandemic by definition.

The US has an excellent research system, and excellent health care facilities. I think if folks don't panic things will be fine here.

That being said though, our manufacturing system is already showing the strain of too much dependence on China for parts to keep things moving.

Remember four years ago candidate Trump was pushing for American manufacturers to bring plants back home. He was ridiculed by the left, and of course the media as well. Those chickens are coming home to roost.

Fortunately, we are fairly well prepared at my home. Of course one will find things that need to be tweaked. All in all I feel confident that I am prepared, and that I can defend my home.

Unfortunately this virus seems to be mutating with two known strains today. The other weird aspect is the very limited impact on children. Really makes you wonder if this was engineered to focus on a specific class (age group) of adults. Wonder if we will ever know the truth about its origins. Like other viruses it takes time to develop a vaccine but sooner or later it will be available. Then the question will be if all these "anti" folks will get it. Many won't even get an annual flu shot despite thousands of folks dying each year in the U.S. alone.

Are we prepared? We are fortunate to be retired and living in a rural setting. We typically maintain provisions and other necessary supplies (medical and repair parts) to sustain us for a couple of months if not longer. Seldom do we "need" to go to town. Many specific items can be ordered online and delivered by UPS.

Hopefully there will be some lessons learned from this world wide panic. IMO, we should never rely on one country or even one region of the world for the majority of certain classes of products. Really need at least two, if not more, manufacturing sources of these goods. Ideally, one would be domestic but many businesses unfortunately have focused on the cheapest manufacturing (labor) costs to make the cheapest "throwaway" items. And consumers have bought in to this. Friend of mine just replaced a water pump on his boiler that was installed in the late 1940s. No parts available. The new pump's typical "install life" is 8 to 12 years and there are no repair parts offered.

Stay healthy everyone.

Regards

I was alarmed to go to Lowe's to pickup some 3M 8210plus N95 dust masks and they were totally out! :eek: I buy the 20-pack for around $20. Lady in the paint dept. said the gov't had commandeered the supply. :mad: I use these on a regular basis and am fortunately not out of them but feared there may be a run on them and I was correct... :(

The way I see it, the panic-mongers and media have succeeded in decreasing safety for potentially millions of hard-working tradespersons in need of dust-protection. Yes, people with compromised health are going to die from CV and have been. But for the vast majority of us, we may never even feel the effects.

This is a perfect opportunity for the US (and other countries) to bring manufacturing back home. Prices WILL go up and should. For too long we have relied heavily on cheap imports from China and it has to stop in the interest of national security...

8210plus.JPG

It’s getting sporty by me right now in NY.

the virus got into NYC (no surprise) and is spreading to Long Island.

local colleges are shutting down, some schools too. If it continues I’m thinking the island will be on a quarantine for 2-3 weeks.

they already quarantined New Rochelle and the National Guard went in there.

I have decent provisions to ride this out for 3 weeks probably 4. I’m a hiker so I know how to stretch things out. Water would be the issue but I have a plan in place if it gets extended.

talks of working remotely but if schools and government offices close that’s like 90% of my work this time of year.

I’m not buying the hype but the media blitz has caused a panic obviously. BJs and Costco are cleaned out of water and toilet paper by me. Chlorox wipes, alcohol sanitizers are scarce. No face masks anywhere and bleach was cleaned out at supermarkets.

I have a healthy stock of cask strength bourbon in excess of 60% ABV. I’ll disinfect from the inside.

don’t cross the streams

water monkey

I may have my tin foil hat on too tightly, but I do believe that this was an escaped manmade bio weapon. It's very uncommon for a virus to be able to jump species so readily in the first place.

On top of that, I think one of the reasons why it is so contagious to humans, is because there is no natural immunity to it. I've seen so many things I don't know what to believe and what not, but one thing that I saw early on was that it had at least 4 common traits with HIV too, which, if true, will cause the survivors to have life long issues.

Toilet paper is beginning to jump off the shelves. But I remember growing up that we often used a sears catalog for toilet paper anyway. The trick is to wad it up and then unroll it and then wad it up again to break the waxy film up so it doesn't smear. And even without a sears catalog, I get enough junk mail that I could probably use it as a fall back just in case we run out. My wife is a couponer and she bought 4 of the 48 packs for about $12 three weeks ago, so toilet paper is not one of my major concerns. Even if rubbing alcohol, germ-x, and other things were unobtanium, gasoline has more than enough alcohol to kill germs too. Not to count that washing your hands for about 30 seconds will wash off and/or kill most viruses anyway.

Don't touch your face/eyes either.

If you've been in the public, try not to touch any more than you absolutely have to. Wash afterwards. And you should probably wipe everything you buy and bring into the house at the door so if someone sneezed on it, it stays outside of your home.

From what I have been told, Hygiene and cleanliness goes a long way.

Also, take off your shoes at the door. You can Lysol the out sole, but be like Mr. Rogers and have some "inside shoes" if you feel you must wear them in the house.

A little prevention can go a long way. Be smart about it.

We have 6 or 7 cases in Indiana currently. As far as I know the worst that happens is the kids stay home from school, wife works from home, and I just stay home without pay. 2 weeks or so wont really hurt us. Were all of pretty good health, so I dont foresee any death if we actually do catch it.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

The WHO , World Health Organization, not the band, made the Coronavirus an official pandemic today. Personally, my biggest concern is the news media turning this into a full blown panic leading to a shtf event.

Covid-19 was a pandemic already. Now it's official.

I too fear the panic of the idiots most.
There's no actual outbreak known hereabouts, but "known" don't mean much.

They closed two schools 40 miles from here because a student had been out of the country.

No more news than that.

I have more ammo, powder, etc on hand than any other supplies, but I do keep some chow and water.
We don't have chronic need of medicines.
I ALWAYS travel with Lysol and paper towels.

I have luckily avoided most public events my entire life. I'm not a recluse, but it's that panic-&-stampede crowd mentality (a bit) and mainly just the inconvenience of such things.

That being said, I had to brave the DMV last week, and there were lots of foreign folks with passports, trying to get a US license.
(Fortunately, not my line.)

Do you expect the Corona Virus to become a pandemic and have you done any extra prep for it?

WHO has declared it a pandemic since the question was asked. I'll defer to them. Of course, I predicted that perfectly.

I do a lot of the cleansing and avoiding practices anyhoo.
Since I'm in the middle of my 8th decade of life I've been thru a lot of exposure to things that are at least as dangerous as COVID-19. :oldman:
So I'm not increasing my hoard of food, alcohol [cleanser], or meds [nil].

@ripjack13 has my phone number. If I don't post for about 4 weeks in a row, have him give me a call. If I don't answer right away, I'm probably at the range.

Things in this area are picking up speed. The most planning that I did was with my brother and sister regarding our parents. Both are over 80 now and my bachelor brother lives with the. They are pretty well stocked up for food and other supplies...an old habit of mom's. Ou r concern was geting them to stay locked down of needed and where my brother will go if he is exposed to it. Given one of his jobs is at a hotel that seems likely. My work (global maker of automatic doors and hardware) just banned travel. I'm thinking we will get a 2-3 week ban for those that can do work from home. Montgomery county (philly suburb) was just put on lockdown for 2 weeks. They are requesting non essential people and businesses to close and stay home.

In 2009 H1N1 affected millions in this country and 17,000 deaths. I remember hearing about it but nothing like the main stream media are making this out to be. Of course the democrats are all over it.

Also, the flu typically affects 30 to 40 million in this country every flu season and in the past 10 years 29,000 deaths was the lowest and 69,000 was the highest. Maybe if we cancelled all events, closed all schools, and everyone stayed home we could eradicate the flu.

Now the "experts" are worried about the anxiety of folks worrying about the virus. Next it will be a mental health crisis.

On a side note, 20,000 babies will be aborted this week.

I did go to Costco today to buy Chex mix. They had none.

Schools and businesses shutting down in central Indiana. 1 confirmed case reported in Greenfield, which is in our County. Wife and I decided to meet at Kroger to get a few more things. Line for the registers was about 30 min. Toilet paper sold out, water going quick. Most everything else was in fairly good supply.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Keeping my Mom in and settled is going to be the hardest part for me. She has continued treatment and her immune system is constantly virtually non-existent to the point she has to take nuepegen (sp?) shots regularly so, myself, my sister and even my uncle has told her that we'd get whatever she wanted or needed from the store for the time being.

I worry about later when/if the hospital starts filling up with sick people because there is no where else for her to take her infusions and lab work several times a week and she'll be in physical contact with everything at ground zero so I'm not going to lie, worries me extremely.

The typical symptoms are a slight fever and dry cough.
Since we have cats and I have allergies, this is my typical morning. :idk:
Well plus the arthritic wrist and hand, swollen prostate, bad knee, and crappy ankle.
Actually Covid sounds easier than old age.
Nonetheless I am :sofa: until the all clear.

People suck. Around here they are morons, just look at who they voted in for govnas. The fox61 news channel has a new slogan, Facts, not Fear. lol....far from it if you ask me. All they report on is the virus, everything closing, and what the shortage of products are.
Honestly, I only watch fox news. only for the weather. because she's ridiculously cute. (at least to me) I've been following her for years.

I have plenty of the daily essentials. I have slowly cut out paper products out of daily needed things. Napkins? nope, we use the blue shop rags. Blue matches the kitchen, and they get used up, I take em in the shop to use. We have plenty of em.

I'm with cadd too....arthritis in all my joints. knees are shot, hands really hurt. all the surgeries didn't help either.
Bring me the corona... I have lemons.

All schools on PA are now closed for 2 weeks minimum. People are buying out the grocery stores. Toilet paper and hand sanitizer were the first to go but now meat, dairy, bread are quickly disappearing. Two women were fighting over 8 rolls of toilet paper. They are getting crazier than $hithouse rats. I asked my boss if we were planning to close. He said we would only close if the governor closed the roads to non essentail workers or if the needed to clean and sanitize a department. Also, my county still doesn't have a confirmed case. Time to go put some ribs into the smoker.

Back