• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month...(November 2015)

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Howdy,
This is a monthly series of questions topic for everyone to join in on the discussion. Some of the questions may have a poll, and some will not. Don't be shy now, go ahead and post an answer.

Who is your favorite or most inspirational gun personality, writer, inventor etc. and why?

Favorite...Hickock45. He gets to play with all the cool toys...
Oh yeah, Hickok45 is a good one.

Mine is John Moses Browning, the worlds greatest gun inventor and designer...endless Winchester lever guns including the 1894, M1911 automatic, Hi-Power, Colt Woodsman and Browning Auto5 semi shotgun to name a few. He was also the father of the functional, full auto military machine guns including M1895 air cooled, M1917 water cooled, M1919 plus of course the classic M1918 BAR and M2, .50 caliber "Ma Deuce". WW1 and WW2 wouldn't have been the same without him.

Just one of those Americans that made America great. That generation that had real simple and effective answers for over complex questions.
Ahead of his time in the firearms and tactics innovation and development

Personality, I agree, Hickok45. Have watched countless hours of his videos. I find him calming, love his honesty, and love to watch a true enthusiast give his opinions is such a honest way. And Hickok is one hell of a shot.
Inventor, hands down, Browning was the most influential gun designer ever, brilliant, ahead of his time. And in everything I have ever read about him, not one single utter of anything negative.
How many firearm patents did Browning hold by the time he passed ?

LES, Yosemite Sam link gave me a virus warning when I clicked on it...FYI (and others)! :eek:

Lots of good choices so far but I'm liking Charlton Heston! :)

heston.JPG

As a life member of the NRA, I take the time to vote every year for the board of directors. I like to especially vote for celebrities and sports icons as they are the "face" of the NRA. Sadly, some don't see it that way and Willie Robertson didn't make it (Duck Dynasty) a couple years ago and John Milius (Dirty Harry writer, etc., etc.) got bumped this year... :(

Travis Haley!

But my inspiration around guns, handling and tactics are complete by a mixture of Travis Haley, Ron Avery, Pat McNamara, Rob Ski and "Wild Bill Hickock" ;-)

IE with McAfee gives me a warning, Chrome with ads/scripting turned off allows it fine.

Annie Oakley.
A poor kid, born in a log cabin, and became the most famous shooter of her day, save maybe Buffalo Bill himself.
If that's not an American Success Story, then I'm the Ayatollah of Baghdad. :cool:

(Also she shot a cigarette out of the mouth of the Kaiser. Doesn't get cooler than that. )

Last edited:
My father for introducing me to guns and shooting.
literally, my father, can't shoot. He got me into shooting… but he can't shoot. I literally put a silhouette out to 5 yards and have him shoot a single action handgun… and there's misses. Either off paper or on paper off the target.

I'd like him to take a course…. But his gun handling skills aren't safe either, even after me correcting him… on numerous occasions. And him muzzle sweeping me with a loaded gun at an indoor range like 3 weeks ago.

Hey dad, point it that way, you'll kill me if you keep doing that. Thanks, love you.

literally, my father, can't shoot. He got me into shooting… but he can't shoot. I literally put a silhouette out to 5 yards and have him shoot a single action handgun… and there's misses. Either off paper or on paper off the target.

I'd like him to take a course…. But his gun handling skills aren't safe either, even after me correcting him… on numerous occasions. And him muzzle sweeping me with a loaded gun at an indoor range like 3 weeks ago.

Hey dad, point it that way, you'll kill me if you keep doing that. Thanks, love you.

I never spent much time on the gun range with my dad, most of my education was in the field. The man could hit a bird and I never saw him miss a deer with a gun (and very few with a bow) We did spend a lot of time on the archery range, that was his passion.

Ironically he just missed an 8 point over the weekend with one of my crossbows. I'm not going to knock him, given his current health issues I'm amazed he still has the will to get out there and do it.

My dad was certainly influential. He taught me to shoot, but he never went shooting with me and he never taught me to hunt. I think after 30 years in the military, he was burned out on guns.

He hunted in the Appalachians as a kid, and one of my earliest childhood memories was of my dad cutting patches to clean his Winchester at the kitchen table, when I was 4 or 5.

A few years later he went to Vietnam, & when he returned he taught me to shoot. I was 10. I think Dad figured there was a good chance I'd go to war too some day. But once he taught me the basics, he just turned me loose in the desert to shoot whatever moved.

After that time, I don't believe my dad ever shot a gun, except he sometimes had to re-qualify at the range while in the USAF, and he shot a few ground squirrels on his property outside town with the Mossberg .22 I own now.

Howdy,
This is a monthly series of questions topic for everyone to join in on the discussion. Some of the questions may have a poll, and some will not. Don't be shy now, go ahead and post an answer.

Who is your favorite or most inspirational gun personality, writer, inventor etc. and why?
Favorite gun ? Tough question. Lucas McCain and Matt Dillon so my favorites are lever guns and ruger vaueros , blackhawks and such. Hard to beat the versatile 30-30 mossberg 464 and some leverevolution

Not gun, buddy. Gun "personality", or yer favorite shooter.

As for McCain, I remember so vividly from childhood that awesome lever-action repeater.
(Hell, my wife Judy-poo still watches the re-runs LOL)

McCain's character was a definite influence; and you'd know if you saw me as a kid in 1964, whipping my Sheridan Bluestreak around from my Schwinn Tornado like a saddlegun . . .or just last month blasting 20-yard zombie-outlaw targets at the range with a .30-30 carbine . . . shooting from the hip. :rolleyes:

HoLeeChit what fun!

The other characters I remember well were Rooster Cogburn yelling, "Fill yer hand!" as he charged right into the muzzles like a drunken fool, and The Man With No Name as he squinted those snake eyes and then proceeded to "shoot the shoot the wings off a horsefly."

Not just influential on my mind, but on my gun purchases as well.

holysmoker2.JPG

I don't own the Holy Smoker yet, but it's at the top of the short list.
This Mossberg 464 lever action .30-30 carbine is my current favorite shooting iron.

464 stockpic.JPG

Back