• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question with pics

5ereqybe.jpg

Alright boys. She is soaking in 1.5 gallons of distilled white vinegar. It took that much to fill the bottom of the cooler. I will check it in the morning and post a progress report.

If theres any heavy deposit left after soaking a hone wont do any good. Might have to find a sanding wheel and long arbor to take the corrosion out.
If there are still any heavy deposits I think I'm gonna try wrapping some steel wool around a cleaning brush and run it back and forth with my drill. We will see how it is looking in the morning.

chore-boy is a true copper scrub. many others are copper coated scrubs so read carefully. as to the hone, I did mention that it was just a finishing touch. for sure there will be pits in the barrel but for hd it should be ok. also if after the vinegar treatment you are not satisfied then you should look into removing the rust with a battery charger.

e9udatur.jpg

So this is 21 hours later. It looking good. There are some small patches of rust still holding on. And when I pulled it out to check the inside it looks a lot better. There are still some clumps in there but I'm thinking that the majority of that will either rinse out or come out when I run a brush through it.

I'm gonna give it until tomorrow and see where we are at.

chore-boy is a true copper scrub. many others are copper coated scrubs so read carefully. as to the hone, I did mention that it was just a finishing touch. for sure there will be pits in the barrel but for hd it should be ok. also if after the vinegar treatment you are not satisfied then you should look into removing the rust with a battery charger.
How in the world do you remove rust with a battery charger?!

Basically. I googled it and found some YouTube videos. You connect the metal object to the charger and submerge it in water.

e4ybedug.jpg

So this is what we have after 23 hours. I rinsed it off and ran a wire brush through it attached to my drill.

There is some pitting in the barrell that is a little concerning.

vyna5aza.jpg

hebedypu.jpg

And there is an area on the outside of the barrel that is a little concerning.

qynazupy.jpg

adevyjuh.jpg

I will probably wind up taking it to a gunsmith to get it checked out before I do anything else. I am worried that the pitting on the inside and the pitted place on the outside may be a little dangerous.

I wouldn't be worried. The barrel,is nothing more than a guide for the shot. The chamber is where the boom happens. A few rounds of number 8 will probably clean the spot on the inside.

So I'm guessing that the chamber is the area before the collar in this picture.

zyse3enu.jpg

I'm worried that the area at the bottom left may be a problem. Looks like some pretty serious pitting.

the boom is were the metal part of the shell is. if that's ok I would presume you are ok though there will be pressure behind the shot all the way through the barrel. if the deep rust is not in the same place then i would be ok with it. but yea its gettin close to being a canoe anchor. as to the rust, yea, look it up as there is so so much info out there. if I find my references I will post though I think I lost them.

Now that you can see what you are working with it probably wouldn't hurt to take it to a gunsmith and see what they think. A professional opinion couldn't hurt. Another thing to consider is yes it might be "good enough to use" but is it safe? Is saving some $$ worth being unsafe over? It may be "just a HD/shotgun barrel" but it's still a firearm. Pitting is the result of corrosion actually chemically attacking the base metal. Rust is actually a living organism and it literally eats metal. Pitting is a sign that material has been removed, and any time material is removed integrity is compromised.

Pitting defined: When metal corrodes, it undergoes oxidation. In this process, the material actually changes its composition. Electrons are lost, providing a more positively charged substance.This new material is weaker, and more brittle than the original metal. Small pieces of metal begin to flake off, leading to uneven, rough surfaces.

It sounds like you are taking precaution and are approaching this in the right way. Just keep the big picture in mind and don't put this project's cost over the safety of yourself and others. :)

Yeah that's my biggest thing. I would love for this to work out and I would have like 15 bucks in the whole thing. But if it is unsafe I'm not even gonna chance it. It is not worth myself or someone I love getting hurt.

There is a local gunsmith I have heard a lot of good things about so I'm probably gonna give him a call and get him to check it out.

Yeah I am definitely getting it checked out. I put it back in the vinegar last night after I took pictures because there was still some small areas of rust. I took it out this afternoon and after rinsing and cleaning there is a LLLOOOOOTTT of pitting inside the barrel. So I sprayed it down with WD-40 and wrapped it up in some shop rags till next week when I can take it to the gunsmith.

Because when I bought the shotgun and found out the barrel was cut I listened to a buddy of mine that told me that it was illegal to have a cut barrel. So I got rid of it. I have since found out my buddy is a freaking moron! And I was an even bigger moron for listening to him! :(

Back