• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Questions from a Potential Mossberg 500 Owner

SG8

.22LR
Looking to buy a Mossberg 500 for home defense. However, trying to figure out the different types is pretty difficult, although somewhat fun to research. I'm looking to get a Mossberg 500 with an 18.5 inch barrel with a "conventional" stock, ie no pistol grip, and to spend as little as possible. I'd like to get it from my local gunshop, although he only sells whatever he has on hand on consignment or, he can order practically any Mossberg in his catalog. However, since I will be ordering a shotgun sight unseen, I want to make sure I do my research before getting there and know exactly what I want to order.

So that begs the question, which exact model # should I order? From my research, it looks like I should get any of the following models:

It seems like the only difference is in forends or finishes (matte versus "gloss"). And some might include an extra barrel or pistol grip, neither of which I am willing to pay extra for.

My research says any of the above should go for about $350 at a local gunshop. Is that right? Are any of those cheaper or more expensive? If so, why?

I also noticed that some Mossberg 500s have an "odd" for-end (forend?) that doesn't have the ribbing like a "conventional" Mossberg. Is that a cosmetic difference, or are they actually different forends, requiring different tools to take apart or maintain?

Thanks ahead for any help or advice.

Welcome to the forum from NY.

Sounds like you are looking to save a buck or two.(can't blame ya)

If all you are looking for is a good HD 18 1/2" standard 12ga, I'd check out the Maverick 88. You can pick one up for about $220.

Same shotgun except for the cross bolt safety.;)

Thanks for the advice; I'll certainly take a look at the Maverick. Just to confirm, if I wanted to add a shorter LOP stock, such as a 12" Hogue, it would be a "drop in" modification, no different than if I had a Mossberg 500?

I know you have your heart set on a 18.5" barreled Mossy OP but... I picked this one up a couple weeks ago on consignment for $350... It came with the ATI Speed Feed Stock and side saddle already installed. I've since added an Uncle Mikes sling swivel set and a Black Hawk sling that works very well. Its a (7+1) 500A model.

Mossberg%20500A-1_zpsl4dpa0u1.jpg

Mossberg%20500A-1%20side%20view_zpsnfhouzlw.jpg

Last edited:
Update:

I was going to get a Maverick 88, but after checking with my local gunshops, it's $290 while the 500 is $420. However, the Maverick 88 only has a 1 year warranty. I believe the 500 has a 10 year warranty. Is this standard for all new Mossberg 500s? The Mossberg website doesn't post warranty information for some 500 models.

I also considered a Savage 320 for $235, but I am uneasy with a shotgun of inferior quality as my first shotgun, even if it is cheaper. If I knew shotguns like the back of my hand and could moonlight as a gunsmith, that would be one thing, but since I'm a rookie, I will pay more for quality.

In my experience, if you have your heart set on something, save up and get that.

Also in my experience, don't get in a hurry. Take time to look at the options, just as you're doing. If the OFM continues to stand out, go that route.

I have a confession. I nearly broke down and bought a Remington 887 nitro-mag simply because it was less expensive. But it wasn't really what I wanted.

So a word on those forends. There is a difference. I think (not certain) the ribbed forend still uses the action slide tube. The other style is what's called "pinned". It doesn't use a separate part which is the tube. The action slide tube has the action bars on it and the forend simply comes off to be replaced or swapped. On the pinned model, to change to an aftermarket forend like the Hogue for example, you would also need to purchase the action slide tube as well.

I don't know if that's even a concern to you, or even a consideration.

Otherwise, prices vary but deals can be found. There are a couple or few online places where you can potentially find very good pricing and then have it transferred to someplace locally. Buds Gun Shop makes the process very simple. You may find the 500 of your dreams on there and at a very reasonable price ($300?), it's better than a dating site. No one judges you for making a decision on looks alone.

What does OFM stand for?

I'm trying to buy from the local gunshop. He's nice and I'd rather give him my business. I do realize I'll be paying more, but I believe in supporting local businesses, as long as they treat me right (and he has so far).

As for the fore ends, if they're the same price, I'd prefer one that offers more flexibility for customization. However, if I had the money in the future to upgrade the 500, I'd probably just get a 590A1.

In my experience, if you have your heart set on something, save up and get that.

Also in my experience, don't get in a hurry. Take time to look at the options, just as you're doing. If the OFM continues to stand out, go that route.

I have a confession. I nearly broke down and bought a Remington 887 nitro-mag simply because it was less expensive. But it wasn't really what I wanted.

^^^^best advice right there!

Just as a note...Rossi, I almost did the same thing with the 887...sure glad I did my homework. That would have been a mistake. No matter how cool it looks!

Your last question...O.F. Mossberg & Sons

Last edited:
Looking to buy a Mossberg 500 for home defense. However, trying to figure out the different types is pretty difficult, although somewhat fun to research. I'm looking to get a Mossberg 500 with an 18.5 inch barrel with a "conventional" stock, ie no pistol grip

Just a quick thing to consider for home defense, with a no-stock pistol grip, it's less cumbersome moving around, and it's a quick pivot to go from ready position to firing position.

Check out your local Wal-Mart, I got my 88 there for $215 plus you can at least compare them

Norm

Back