• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Quickshot RFID lock

I have not and have serious concerns using an electronic lock on a gun I would depend on to protect my home.

There are several mechanical keypad locks/lockboxes that are pretty darn fast to open and have no electronics to fail.

I have not and have serious concerns using an electronic lock on a gun I would depend on to protect my home.

There are several mechanical keypad locks/lockboxes that are pretty darn fast to open and have no electronics to fail.

Thanks. I've seen the other lock boxes but unfortunately none of them will accommodate a pistol grip and picatinny rail.

Dave

Thanks again Mike!

The long gun safe is definitely an option. The Shot Lock looks like a great product and would be my first choice but it will not work with pistol grip and rail.

Dave

David, I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. Good reading.
Philosophically, I pass, tho'.

Batteries and guns = eventual fail.

Simplify, don't complicate.

The most basic and destructive issue almost every non-stainless gun faces, even in the age of miracle plastics, is corrosion.
Ignore it too long, or leave it in the wrong environment and the gun quickly becomes ruined.

The same thing is true of electronics, and often to a much greater degree.

Why would would anyone expect the result to be reliable over the long term.

And speaking of long term, what is the guarantee on the electronics? Will replacements be available 20 years from now?
I have a gun built almost 70 years ago. The critical parts are easy to make and replace. Not so with integrated circuitry.

What's the chance that these modern plastic and electronic things will last?
Vibration and impact are major killers of electronics.
These electronic guns may well just kill themselves off in the end.

I don't know anything about how the technology works so entertain me for a moment.

Among the concerns to US national security is an EMP attack, yes? If and EMP were to be used and it can wipe out electronics making them useless, can it destroy this kind of technology too? If so, gun control. No legislation required beyond the mandate that firearms be equipped with rfid technology.

It wouldn't make a difference today, but give it a generation and it could. This country is only a generation away from doom as it is.

Yes, an EMP attack would probably fry these guns, but the circuitry could be hardened to mil grade.

I expect that the guns could easily be recircuited to bypass all the electronics, or defeated with a custom firing pin, by someone with half a brain and a file.

I have not used the model you listed, but I did make one from a police cruiser shot gun lock and an Arduino Uno card and RFID card kit. You can search how to make one on google. Mine cost about $50 to make, and has never failed me. To me, it's the most accessible way to keep loaded gun at the ready, but still deny access to the those who shouldn't have it (read kids here). The Arduinos are neat, and you can make other "safes" with RFID from them. I have another for my carry gun that I made, use it daily.

I have not used the model you listed, but I did make one from a police cruiser shot gun lock and an Arduino Uno card and RFID card kit. You can search how to make one on google.
Thanx a bunch, cutter. I googled a video w/ that project "DIY RFID Shotty Lock" and it had a pretty good description.
I had an Arduino since 2012 and just fooled around with it because I like to play with sensors, displays and code in C. A couple of months ago I sent the set to my grandson. I never really had enuff time or imagination to design my own useful applications.

arduino_uno_test.jpg

Back