• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ran my first shotgun match today!

Kodiak

.270 WIN
I had a great time, everyone was friendly and the staff was helpful. I WILL do this again.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OU7OxWZnf8[/youtube]

Kodiak, that was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

You met the challenge, shot quite well, and completed the course. I am seriously impressed with your first shotgun competition performance. Also, you showed mad skillz at keeping your 590 topped off.

Good video posting as well, big guy! I am so glad to see you doing this for fun and also for keeping skills sharp.

nitesite said:
Kodiak, that was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!...
Thank you very much. It sure was a rush. It was darn right FUN! BTW, something I didn't mention in the video. I'm right handed and right eye dominate. About a year and a half ago I lost enough sight in my right eye that I can't see the sights clearly. I shot that whole course left handed and using my left eye :lol: . While I shoot with left and right hands, I've never shot solely left handed. When you said I met the challenge, you don't know how right you are and I feel really good about it.

Nice job! Keep having fun! It looks great!

Kodiak, that looked like some fine shooting. Looked like you took your time and shot center mass. Shooting left handed going left to right it is difficult to hold up and down range.
Makes me want to find a shotgun shoot around my place. 3D archery shoots made me a much better bowhunter and a shotgun shoot would do the same I am sure!

tcecil88 said:
Kodiak, that looked like some fine shooting. Looked like you took your time and shot center mass. Shooting left handed going left to right it is difficult to hold up and down range.
Makes me want to find a shotgun shoot around my place. 3D archery shoots made me a much better bowhunter and a shotgun shoot would do the same I am sure!
I used to shoot 3D too! Yes it does help. That's why I like the saying "Train like you fight, fight like you train". That range also has a low light, shoot house matches. I plan on trying that too.

Nice job, shooting training/matches/competition is a lot of fun that everyone should do. If you don't mind I had two questions....

1. Looks like no eye protection?
2. I was wondering on the right to left relay why did you shot farthest target first and the closest target to you last? I would be shooting closest threat to farthest threat in that order. Take care of the biggest threat first.

megawatt said:
Nice job, shooting training/matches/competition is a lot of fun that everyone should do. If you don't mind I had two questions....

1. Looks like no eye protection?
2. I was wondering on the right to left relay why did you shot farthest target first and the closest target to you last? I would be shooting closest threat to farthest threat in that order. Take care of the biggest threat first.
Forgot to put them on and the RO didn't notice either. You are correct for shooting closest first, at the time I figured I'd shoot right to left (farthest to closest) because I was moving/swinging right to left. Good questions and thank you for them.

I was shooting Federal Multi-Purpose 1 1/8 oz, 7 1/2 shot. They would have liked me to shoot buck due to the rest of the shooters were rifle and pistol. The shot was tearing up the targets :D . They plan on using steel targets next time (I hope). One guy asked me about my shotgun and when I was running the second half of the match, he said "With that shotgun he doesn't need to call 911!".

Kodiak said:
Forgot to put them on and the RO didn't notice either. You are correct for shooting closest first, at the time I figured I'd shoot right to left (farthest to closest) because I was moving/swinging right to left. Good questions and thank you for them.

Kool, that is the great thing about shooting in matches like you did. You get to learn things about equipment and shooting. Every match I have been to everyone helps out with the skills and rules. Shooting and talking about guns is a great way to spend the day. :D

megawatt said:
Kodiak said:

Kool, that is the great thing about shooting in matches like you did. You get to learn things about equipment and shooting. Every match I have been to everyone helps out with the skills and rules. Shooting and talking about guns is a great way to spend the day. :D
I agree, I look forward to the comradery when I go.

Very good shooting Kodiak!!! seeing your vid is giving me real bad trigger itch to get out and mag dump on some range targets myself, but alas!!! :( :( being buried under 5 foot of snow and more on the way. I am vicariously resigned in watching all the fun you're having.
Might I suggest looking into a 4x4 shotshell caddy from AP custom, they are kind of spendy @69.95 each but makes a world of difference in reload time.
AP204x420Caddy.jpg

Also maybe some 12ga snap caps to practice that one hand four at a time reload watch the end of this vid this guys insanely fast at reloading.
http://youtu.be/IZs8PE2DJJw

Come on!! Navy if the Army can do it so can you??? A vid explaining a little bit more on the weak hand reload.
http://youtu.be/Ew8p2blUYf0

I'll be practicing this all winter so I will be ready for next seasons shotgun match...........you bet!! :p :p :p

Keep on shooting

Back