• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

RANGE REPORT: Long Guns

Re: Some 50 Cal therapy!!

Rossignol said:
I'm inclined to agree. I wouldnt want to own one, I'd take a 30.06 any day! I always enjoy seeing them though!

Kinda regret trading off my Remington 700 in 30.06 but I'm using the 308 as my main round. I've got the Saiga 308, Socom 16 308, PTR91 308 and the Savage sniper rifle is also in 308 so I'm about to buy a bulk load of 308 ammo I just have a bit more testing to do. The Saage sniper will more than likely get it's own specialized round but I'll have to find out as I've yet to shoot it..

Re: Some 50 Cal therapy!!

I actually tend to overlook the .308 for some reason. Dont know why, it just isnt in the foreground of my mind when I start looking at stuff. The 30.06 goes back to growin up and rifles I shot as a kid, so its what I think of. I've never fired a .308...

Probably should someday! :D

RIFLE Range Results

Alright fellas,

Been to the rifle range lately? Have a target grouping you're proud of? Well let's see it. Let us know what rifle and ammo you used and at what distance you were shooting. Let's see what you've got...

Re: RIFLE Range Results

Went to the range this morning and this afternoon. Brought my LMT with eoTECH, Yugo SKS, Saiga 308 and Saige 12ga.

The LMT and eoTECH gave me nothing but trouble, couldn't the group down and to the right. Pulled the eoTECH off and popped up the Troy battle sights and things got better quick!!! The eoTech will be getting sold tomorrow and I'll bank the money for another Trijicon or similar.

My Yugo SKS was very impressive at 100 yards open sight, absolute joy to shoot. The Saiga 12GA at 50 yards with slugs was awesome too making that black splatter target disappear with the 5 round mag!!

Good times and next time I'll save some targets..

Pic from the range last weekend...

Here's the best 100 yd group out of the 500 rounds I sent down range. Was shooting 55 grain Federal value packs from Wal-Mart...

Thank you Sir,

It's not pretty yet, but I'll take it for the first time out with a new rifle. Besides, the SCAR is a battle rifle and intended to shoot "minute of man". If I want sub MOA groups I'm gonna reach for one of my bolt guns.

My Son and I went today and finalize sighting in the LMT and some SOCOM fun. I traded off one of my eoTECH's and used some of the money for a NCstar Acog style scope and it has made a huge difference in my eyes and this LMT.

Here are some pics.

The LMT with NCstar Acog.

Me holding the ACR and LMT.

My Son shooting the SOCOM16.

Some results. All shots where taken at 200 yards today with LMT. My first round.

And some adjustment and final shots and not slow fire, 30 rounds in about 20-30 seconds.

All in all another great day at the range. Seems I may be trading a couple guns tomorrow and picking up ab AR10. :cool:

oli700 said:
dont get rid of that Springfield

I'm dumping my PTR91 and S&W M&P15 which will leave me some extra $$$$..

The SOCOM will never, ever get sold that's for sure..

Thanks Brad and LAZY, that LMT is one helluva gun and the ACOG's are becoming very popular with me. I still have 3 eoTECH's which I can use on my Colt M4 maybe the Colt HBAR and they say they work good on the SOCOM but I don't like the idea of the sight so far up on the gun.

Thanks again felas!! It's taken some work to get here and most my rifles are sighted in now.

Got out this morning with my Busmaster and SCAR...

Here's my best 100yd results with the Bushy...

I added a Sightmark magnifier behind the Eotech on my SCAR and it really improved my groupings. Here's a 100yd, 90 round rapid fire group...

Still at 100yds, I slowed it down a bit and tried to place ten deliberate shots on each bull...

:D It was a good day! :D

Dang, looks like a good day! Nice shootin homes!

It sure did!

The biggest advantage was that it intensified and cleaned up the reticle. The dot became true 1MOA instead of minute of big red blob. It gave me an actual aiming point instead of covering up half the target. With the magnification I could also see the bullet strike and adjust accordingly while firing insted of checking the target and adjusting for the next relay. The Sightmarks are inexpensive compared to the Eotech brand that retails for over $500. Picked mine up for $100. The FTS mount is sold separately though.

Got out with the .308 Remy 700 AAC-SD this afternoon...

Was a still day with almost no wind at all...

At 100yds, put 23 rounds of 168gr Federal Premium Gold Medal Match into the target below with groups ranging from .35MOA (top left) to .65 MOA (bottom right). The four shot group in the bottom left measured in at a hair under .5 MOA. Got down to the last round and I couldn't resist pluggin the barcode...

My shoulder is a little worse for wear, but it was a good day! :D

Probably read the bar code with that scope at 100. You need to get that thing out past iron sight range

Yup, this was my first range trip with the rifle. Just a few rounds to confirm sight-in plus the target I posted. Next time out I'll take her out to 200yds which is sadly the longest distance available at the range. I have to drive over an hour into KY for the nearest "open" firing range with shooting positions at 300yd, 500yd, and beyond. It's worth the drive every so often, but not just for a sight-in...

Back