• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Range upkeep

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
As do most other guys I know, you have to maintain your range every once in a while. I've built my target stand a few times already and usually have to every year or so. It doesn't take long for the spall/fragments to chew pressure treated wood in two. What's even funnier, my youngest son got that the old stand collapsing on camera while I was shooting it. After he cut the camera off, he busted out laughing and said "I think you got it." All I could do was turn around and look at him like "WTH?"

I decided that this year, I'm going to put a little color and fun into it. Mostly for the kids, but there's no reason not to be happy and smile and joke around while you're shooting with friends and family either.

So, let me introduce you to "piggy". (my onwy wimfire target) (sorry--I couldn't resist)

pgs manticore mag testing 011.JPG

And a newer addition to the range. "Jack".

An 8 inch 3/8 AR500 gong.

pgs manticore mag testing 008.JPG

And a dueling tree that my buddy Mike made me. I've just been calling them "flippers".

pgs manticore mag testing 007.JPG

I'm not even going to bother painting the 2/3 gong again. It can't keep it from being shot long enough to get rusty.

Which probably isn't a bad name for it. I think I'm going to start calling it "rusty".

pgs manticore mag testing 010.JPG

Some of the old dueling trees are on their last legs and are bent, lost, and have broken hinges. I don't expect they'll probably last the rest of the year and there's not much I can do other than to just finish them off and put them out of their misery.

pgs manticore mag testing 018.JPG

And just an overall view of everything. They're a little bunched together, but they get the job done. And makes shooting multiples and timed drills pretty fun.

Oh, and the red square hinged target above the gong makes for a pretty good hostage target when doing handgun drills. I've worked my way up and have been shooting handguns about 25 yards lately.

pgs manticore mag testing 019.JPG

JA> What's even funnier, my youngest son got that the old stand collapsing on camera while I was shooting it. After he cut the camera off...

@John A. , when I click on the play button I get the message, "This video is private."

Edit: The problem has been fixed. Thanx John.

Last edited:
I've got a shilloutte also, it's actually my buddies. We call him Dale. I don't remember how we came up with the name. And a 2/3 silhouette we call Jesus (hey-seuss). Again, No idea why we named it that.

Well done, looks good!!

Thanks nitesite. We enjoy it a lot.

My most favorite times up there, are when I'm shooting with my family. Sons. Mom. Uncle, friends. Life don't get no better than that.

Color me several shades of green!

If I want to shoot anything besides the normal shooting range routines I have to go up on the BLM land.

It's not that much farther, but there will be problems going there soon, because they're going to Outlaw lead shot on federally managed lands (unless the Donald comes up with a quick executive order that circumvents the whole thing.)

Got a real nice range going there! I aspire to develope mine a little better.

Good looking bunch of characters John...

Hope they learn to duck...

Back