• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Reason for A1 barrel thickness on the Shockwave

Iagent

Just thinking about why the sturdy barrel. Do you think that it is more critical for safety, with the hand on the action close to the disaster area if something is in the barrel, or perhaps a dent in the barrel? Otherwise, why the robust barrel?

The navy wanted thicker barrels due to improper handling.

My question was directed more to why the Shockwave has the A1 barrel as opposed to the standard civilian 590. For some reason, they felt the need for the Navy heavy walled barrel. Maybe I think too much, but that's what we do on forums lol.

Last edited:
My question was directed more to why the Shockwave has the A1 barrel as opposed to the standard civilian 590. For some reason, they felt the need for the Navy heavy walled barrel. Maybe I think too much, but that's what we do on forums lol.

If I had to speculate, I’d guess that it has something to do with their supply of 14” heavy barrels when they decided to bring the gun to the retail market.

I know they manufactured 14” heavy barrels for their SBS kits. Parkerized and ready to go. Probably had a lot of extra inventory already on hand vs a thin-walled profile.

Same goes for the 590 receiver, instead of receivers stamped with 590A1. Just a hunch, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 590 spec is a thick walled barrel.

Nothing strange about using a thick walled barrel on a 590 shockwave.

I was actually surprised to find out they were going to use a thick wall barrel on the 20 gauge 590 shockwaves as well because there was no such thing as a 20 gauge 590 prior to its' release. They were all 12 gauge up to that point.

So the Shockwave is a Board and Destroy gun, with a barrel heavy enough to beat people over the head and smash heavy glass?

How thick is that Barrel compared to the one on my Cruiser? I take it the difference must be quite visible to the naked eye.

It's thicker. I don't have one in front of me to measure with calipers, but it is thicker.

If they wanted to use standard thickness barrels, they would be 500 shockwaves.

Not available here, so I've never seen one on the shelves. I will have a look at a 590 though.

I'm thinking the weight is not a consideration. Maybe they just want less possible barrel failure at a point where your hand is. Just thinking lol. Still open for discussion. not offend by other ideas. I like my Shockwave and might buy another in marinekote. I may actually just buy an A1 to compliment my collection of the great Mossberg artwork.

If you go back and read the original specifications you'll find that yes the Navy was the service that required heavier barrel thickness. Mainly due to close quarters small passageways onboard ships which were all constructed of steel. The heavier barrels were mainly required to prevent denting and damage by sailors.

Regards

Back