• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rechargable batteries and different charging techniques

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Good evening guys.

I just wanted to share some different techniques for charging batteries.

Rechargeable batteries are one of the things that I think is pretty important to have around. I'm not going to get into all the different things batteries can power obviously, but there are several ways that you can recharge them to keep them going and that is one of the things that I want to touch on in this topic, and welcome more suggestions as well.

First off, there are regular 120v wall chargers and those are probably the most common because they're usually the most convenient.

It is ideal to periodically charge your batts just to make sure your emergency batteries are ready when you need them. I usually plug them up every 6-9 months to keep them at their peak.

rechargablebatts003_zpsfc647cae.jpg

But here are some alternatives for when the power is out.

A USB adapter/charger.

Many vehicle cell phone chargers and gps units have usb/cigarette lighter adapters for them, almost all newer computers have them, playstation 3's have usb ports, and even many newer DC to AC power invertors have usb ports.

I'm sure there are other things that have powered usb ports, but I am just giving a few examples.

rechargablebatts004_zpsedc3a84b.jpg

I think those were all the store bought chargers I have, but there are still other ways.

You can use a 4 AA cell holder that have the battery contacts wired in series to that it is 6v, and can use any larger 6v battery to transfer some of its' energy to the smaller AA batteries.

rechargablebatts005_zps71c68979.jpg

Of course, you can also use these same suggestions for rechargeable AAA, AA, C, D, and lantern batteries just to give you a nice rounded set of options.

Which reminds me that I need to pick up some C and D batteries and some holders for them.

But back to the subject, you can also use a 6v solar charger to the battery holder like I have on my trail camera instead of the lantern battery.

gorillagluecamotapeontrailcam001_zpsb32b1af3.jpg

No thanks necessary gentlemen. We may never need to know any of this, but then again none of us know what tomorrow brings.

Some of this useless stuff floating around my head may help someone one of these days. And as Mr. Smith always used to tell us...knowledge is pear (power).

Back