• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Recoil Pad options for 590?

stigmata said:
Ok. So I got to try out the limb saver today on the 590 and all i got to say that s WOW what a difference it makes in shooting the gun.
Went thru 50 rounds today and didn't even feel like I was shooting a shotgun, felt like I was shooting a .22
LES was right, it does feel like getting hit with a pillow.... :lol:
Now I did get me on video firing different size shells and the Magnum shells, and it did kick but it sure didn't feel like the recoil was even a factor.
Limb saver claims they absorb 70% of the recoil, well, I personally think its an understatement and its more. Hell my wife hates shooting the 590 because of the recoil, and today with the limb saver on she just kept on shooting and shooting, I was just glad I was able to get a turn to shoot too.
By far the best accessory you can buy for any shotgun. :mrgreen:

This was exactly the review I was looking for. I have the tactical/adjustable stock on my 590A1, and I was wondering about recoil pad options. I will definitely be adding this to my growing wish list. Thanks! :D

MWright936 said:
stigmata said:
Ok. So I got to try out the limb saver today on the 590 and all i got to say that s WOW what a difference it makes in shooting the gun.
Went thru 50 rounds today and didn't even feel like I was shooting a shotgun, felt like I was shooting a .22
LES was right, it does feel like getting hit with a pillow.... :lol:
Now I did get me on video firing different size shells and the Magnum shells, and it did kick but it sure didn't feel like the recoil was even a factor.
Limb saver claims they absorb 70% of the recoil, well, I personally think its an understatement and its more. Hell my wife hates shooting the 590 because of the recoil, and today with the limb saver on she just kept on shooting and shooting, I was just glad I was able to get a turn to shoot too.
By far the best accessory you can buy for any shotgun. :mrgreen:

This was exactly the review I was looking for. I have the tactical/adjustable stock on my 590A1, and I was wondering about recoil pad options. I will definitely be adding this to my growing wish list. Thanks! :D

Definitely worth it.... I got the adj 6 position stock too, and the slip on limb saver works like u would not believe.
You can see my pics of it installed on the butt stock a few posts up ^^ to see how it fits.

Rossignol said:
Dang, both my 500 and my 590 use the same stock. The LOP is 14 3/8 on each, I'm 5' 10" and its just too danged much...
Im the same height as you, and I was thinking the same thing. The thing is I don't want to get one that's to short, but I haven't had the chance to try different ones out so I don't know what lop to get.

We'll see! But it'll shorten LOP a smidge, not hang on my clothes like rubber pads, and let me use the butt to strike when the ammo's out in the veeeeeery unlikely scenario I ever need my HD gun for HD. But if the pain is too much, I'll be nine bucks and a few hours work in the hole. No biggie.

Traced the buttpad onto quarter inch steel, had a student cut it out in my school's metal shop, Now I gotta file it to final dimensions and drill a few holes. Easy breezy...I hope. Maybe I'll get fancy and checker it or something.

All this talk of a steel butt plate got me thinking about making one out of a piece of 7mm thick (just over a ¼ inch) carbon fiber scrap I have laying around.

20130418_195200_zpsbbd49f05.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

Comarade said:
I use a Hogue 12" LOP with the Small Limbsaver Slip-On Recoil Pad #10546 over it, bringing the overall LOP to 13".

My only issue with this set-up is that when I pull the buttstock back into my shoulder, it has a tendency to wiggle just a little bit. After a few shots I usually have to re-adjust the slip-on pad too, it begins to move out of position. I'm looking for a solution to help hold the pad in place firmly and securely, but that also dosen't involve me gluing the pad to the stock since that would make removal of the stock a huge PITA if I never needed to for some reason.

As far as the recoil.. the Hogue stock has a pretty decent recoil pad as it is. With the Limbsaver it is pretty much overkill, but then again who's to say there is any such thing as overkill when we're talking about reducing felt recoil on a pump action shotgun :)

I followed the suggestions here and put some hi-bond double sided tape between the stock and the limbsaver slip-on pad.

It definetly helped, but after a couple of dozen shots it had begin to slip again, so it's still not 100% solid.

So I went and puchased the blackhawk buttstock shellholder:

http://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-Butt-St ... ell+holder

I slipped it on and scooted it as far back as I could, it is very tightly wrapped around the limbsaver slip-on pad and comes within about 1/4" of the back of the recoil pad. Having 5 extra shells onboard is a nice bonus. The slip-on feels really solid now, but I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.... hopefully the combination of the double-sided high-bond tape and the grip on the slip-on by the buttstock shell holder will be the final solution. Will post a picture of the set-up soon, but it feels pretty good! Another bonus of having the buttstock holder set up in this way is that when I mount the gun, the tacky rubber of the limbsaver no longer catches on my clothes... it's just the stretchy nylon now that makes contact with my clothes, so it's smoother to mount.

Update: photos! 12" LOP Hogue Stock with Small Limbsaver slip-on recoil pad (13" LLOP overall) + Blackhawk nylon buttstock shell holder over the slip-on recoil pad.

Attachments

• 20130430_223908-1.jpg
    20130430_223908-1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 720
  • 20130430_223917-1.jpg
    20130430_223917-1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 718
Does anybody know if this exists for the Mossberg 590? If so, can you point me in the right direction to where I can get it?

Thanks!

Attachments

• ButtStock590a.png
    ButtStock590a.png
    224.6 KB · Views: 220
The A2 Trapdoor Buttstock will not fit a 590.

The Trapdoor assembly could be fitted onto a Mossberg stock but this will involve a lot of fabrication.

I'll throw into the mix.

I see that there is a lot of tactical or synthetic stocks with fresh new recoil butt pads. Like everyone else, I agree, no matter what you do or don't do to your shotgun, the single most Greatest upgrade for the money, Hands Down, is the recoil pad!!!!

I got the traditional wood furniture on both the 590A1 and 835, both are installed with Limbsaver 10121. Wasn't easy but sooooo worth the effort.

I had to cut down both stocks to get the 4 7/8 measurement of the 10121. That worked out for me as the LOP and drop in comb never felt right. I'm 5' 10" with a decent lean build, and I couldn't get the butt square in my shoulder pocket, and always had a sore peck muscle. I also had a hard time keeping the barrel down as the shotgun wanted to tilt on my shoulder when fired. So I added a degree or two on the miter saw and kept cutting till I got the magic number. That alone was a big improvement even with the old hard Mossberg pad.

2014-03-02_12-53-17_274.jpg
After shooting the 590A1 with the 18" smooth and the 835 with the 24" choked, and various loads outback today, man oh man. With a Limbsaver, you almost forget how much ammo your going through, like a kid again. I will have to try shooting some slugs with the rifled barrel next.

2014-03-03_18-02-04_954.jpg2014-03-03_18-05-17_40.jpg

As mentioned before, I guess you can say it feels like your in a pillow fight, or getting hit with a bag of marshmallows. If you want my review, I think it feels more like motor boating a pair of D's..........

HEAVEN!!!!!!

MOE

Forgot to mention. Mounting the recoil pad was a challenge as the screws didn't line up exactly. I ended up using a dremil tool on the plastic of the Limbsaver to elongate the slotted hole. I then went to the local auto parts store and picked up some interior fastening screws. They have a washer attached to the screw and as a bonus, they are black. #6 or #8 and I think you can get stainless too. I had to squirt the pad, screw and screw driver to get it to pass the small hole on the pad. I used Ballistol and it worked great without marring the rubber pad.

Last edited:
Back