• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Recoil Pad- Which works, and will it still cycle

Hi,
I'm trying to find a recoil pad for the SA-20. If I may ask, please don't tell me the SA-20 is "soft-shooting" or "doesn't need one" as I've read in other forums. After a couple dozen rounds, my chest was sore the next day, so an aftermarket pad seems needed to me.

I've tried Limbsaver's Slip-on (both Small and Small/Med) and they are too large. I'm thinking of getting the grind-to-fit model, and having someone install it. I called Mossberg, and they said there would be no issue with proper cycling of the rounds with a recoil pad, so that's good.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Have you checked out Limbsaver's website? You can download/print sizing templates to find the proper fit...

Limbsaver Recoil Pad Templates

There may be one of the precision fit pads that will work. As far as the cycling issue, I don't see that being a problem. As long as you're still tucking the weapon into your shoulder it should cycle normally. Good luck and keep us posted...

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I checked out Limbsaver's "grind to fit", but I'm going with Pachmayer instead. I'm having a master gunsmith put it on (it's the smallest pad, too), and he told me that Limbsaver's turn to sticky mush after several months, and that he refuses to install them anymore. I'll let the forum know how the Pachmayer works out as soon as I get it back and try the gun out.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I checked out Limbsaver's "grind to fit", but I'm going with Pachmayer instead. I'm having a master gunsmith put it on (it's the smallest pad, too), and he told me that Limbsaver's turn to sticky mush after several months, and that he refuses to install them anymore. I'll let the forum know how the Pachmayer works out as soon as I get it back and try the gun out.
I have had several Limbsaver slip on's and have not had any mush problem , however , I do not shoot very much at all . I have the small size ones and just assumed they would fit on my SA-20 Turkey Thug . I was thinking though from what I read that the semi-auto kick is tame enough to go without x-tra padding .

Should we discuss proper stance/hold? Or just let it go and blame his difficulty on the lack of a recoil pad? :)

I've been thinking about this "too soft to cycle" business. If a recoil pad being too soft can cause a semi auto shotgun to fail to cycle, what happens if the shooter fires from the hip? Surely, one's wrist wouldn't offer enough resistance, if a really soft recoil pad, held against one's shoulder, didn't. Take care. Tom Worthington

sounds like a pad is need here, you can find them in aisle 10 ;)

Well done. ;) In this household, the...um..."pad" wearer is extremely recoil sensitive. I'm still hoping I can find a way to get her comfortable with a 20 gauge. Not interested in .410 because I'm just not convinced it can stop some threats (and the fact that I already have plenty of 20 gauge shells).

Looks as though there is no free lunch, though. She's pretty handy with her .40 M&P, so maybe I'll just have to leave it at that. We have a Hi Point .40 carbine, but I just don't want think I trust her/my life to their magazines. Take care. Tom Worthington

We have a Hi Point .40 carbine, but I just don't want think I trust her/my life to their magazines. Take care. Tom Worthington

wise man. my FIL has one I really tried to like but could not deal with the little things about it like the mags and a couple other things. With just a touch of refinement at the factory it would be great but until then I wouldn't want to have to rely on it in a serious moment.......now the M&P is about as good as it gets, more handy in the house too IMO

Back