• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Recoil Reduction for youth 20ga 500

MT2

Bought this for the wife and 2 3/4" light loads rock her back. As I mentioned in my introduction she's less than 5' tall and under 100lbs. She doesnt complain about the recoil, but I cant help but to notice alot of movement when she fires the gun. Id like to try and help her get this gun a little more under controll especially before we switch over to the 3" turkey loads or even high brass loads for some hunting situations.

First thing I thought was buy a limbsaver recoil pad and install that. Ive also heard of people filling the butt stock full of lead or a metal bar to help reduce recoil.

Any and all suggestion would greatly help as Im sure to a degree it would be a trial and error situation to get that gun to fit her perfectly. In all honestly I kinda wish Id of just bought her a regular 20ga 500 and cut the stock to fit her. After all its not every day that your wife wants to go hunting and most of us know the quickest way out of the field is fear of recoil.

The limbsaver is a good pad and can help reduce recoil a lot.

You can also reduce recoil to the shoulder by via technique:

I usually recommend a push pull method as shown here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq74aiXn1b4[/youtube]

You can also buy stocks with recoil reducing springs installed.

My local gun shop installs a mercury filled cylender in the stock that will help reduce felt recoil. I'm not sure it it really works well or not.

Limbsaver, Limbsaver, Limbsaver, Limbsaver!

...or you could try a Limbsaver. :D

I run them on two of my 12ga and when they advertize up to 70% reduction in recoil, I think they're being modest...

Check her length of pull. If it is to long she will not get the stock properly mounted which can result in more felt recoil.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Good thread. I bought my first Moss today, the 500 Super Bantam 20ga, but there wasn't a recoil pad at the store. Can someone provide a link for one that is KNOWN to do a good job?

Back