• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Red Dot Options

shinobimossy500

Copper BB
How many of you are running a RD on your shotgun? I plan on getting PA micro and just wanted to know if a RD has helped you out in clay or skeet shooting.

if you don't have some sort od cheek riser the cheek weld suck with tall sights or optic. I had a reflex on mine once and I did smoke on clay with it, had a cheek riser. I don't know if it helper over a straight bead but it worked real well. Burris has the speed bead, basically a reflex mounted between the stock and receiver and that allows the sight to sit real low at receiver level. I hear they work awesome for clays and wing hunting but I haven't tried one.

I have an Aimpoint M2 on my Mariner 18.5" . It was on something else prior and I love it. The Mariner is more a display gun, so no experience with it on a short barrel shotgun. I think the M2 may be indestructible. Won't shoot this gun unless in an emergency, but it looks cool as hell.

Optics and clays can be a challenge. I've settled on William's Fire Sights on my 24" 930 as a solid do all sight system. The gun sees a good bit of 3 Gun. I can aim long slug shots and still pick up moving/flying targets with ease.

Some people do well with optics and clays. Try the options and find what works for you!

I have an Aimpoint M2 on my Mariner 18.5" . It was on something else prior and I love it. The Mariner is more a display gun, so no experience with it on a short barrel shotgun. I think the M2 may be indestructible. Won't shoot this gun unless in an emergency, but it looks cool as hell.

Dude, if you did LRRP you are 10-4 in my world, soldier!

Dude, if you did LRRP you are 10-4 in my world, soldier!
Yep I did for a few different groups over a 2 plus year period. Last 1.6 as a civilian working for another government agency doing the exact same job. Only way I could get out of extra duty like KP and shit burning. When they moved me to civilian, pay more than doubled...go figure. Would do it again if this old beat up body could take it!

I had a red dot on my turkey gun last spring. It worked great for that, I just had a hard time getting used to not getting down on the barrel, it seemed awkward to and it never lined up quickly for me.

835_complete_005.jpg

835_complete_002.jpg

I have a PA micro Dot on an AR and I like it a lot. It's probably one of the best values out there for that price range.

I've shot a lot of skeet in my lifetime and a small amount of trap. I rally can't imagine doing that type of shooting with a dot sight. Maybe it's because I've been doing it a long time but I really am not even consciously aware of the barrel when I shoot skeet, I just make sure I have a good hold and focus entirely on the bird.

I've shot a lot of skeet in my lifetime and a small amount of trap. I really can't imagine doing that type of shooting with a dot sight. Maybe it's because I've been doing it a long time but I really am not even consciously aware of the barrel when I shoot skeet, I just make sure I have a good hold and focus entirely on the bird.

^^^^ This. No other answer necessary.

I
I rally can't imagine doing that type of shooting with a dot sight. Maybe it's because I've been doing it a long time but I really am not even consciously aware of the barrel when I shoot skeet, I just make sure I have a good hold and focus entirely on the bird.

neither could I. I happened to have that shotgun with me when some friends wanted to shoot clay. For giggles I brought it out and beat everyone . It was cool because you still don't pay attention to the barrel, there is just a dot floating out in front of he clay.....I was surprised how well it worked.....for the record I have won some decent stuff at trap shoots with conventional shotguns

When I initially purchased my M500, I bought a cheap $40 red dot reflex sight... HATED IT haha
I found that the red dot always was too high of a sight plain for me and I couldn't comfortably get a good cheek-weld and see the dot at the same time.
But some of the other users here love them and different models offer different heights and what not! I think the Bushnell TR-25 is a popular model for use on shotguns and so it the PA Micro. I think @DHonovich has one mounted... could be wrong.

Back