• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Red dot sight

Oudekerk

Copper BB
I am looking to put a red dot sight on my 500 20ga rifled barrel. What is the best way to go about doing this? My brother has the 500 in 12ga, the rifled barrel came with a cantilever mount and was simple to install the sight. Any help would he appreciated

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I like the cantilever option very much. I would look into that first and foremost. Great question!

Welcome to the forum.

Cantilever is the way to go if you wish to use your gun for other things and do not wish to remove the scope and sight rail each time. I had to receiver mounted rail and scope on my 835. It was great for Deer and turley but prevent use for any other type of hunting, wing shooting, etc.

There is a lot of flex that goes on with a cantilever mount. Some people drill and tap the rear of the mount then use a screw (you can use a plastic screw to reduce marring on the receiver) turned down to the receiver to prevent it from flexing downward towards the receiver. I can't seem to find the video I saw a while back but there is a crazy amount of flex that takes place when you shoot.

I picked one up last spring but stripped my scope mount when setting it up and just never got back to it.

Back