• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Reloading Primers

Ernst

.30-06
"Philanthropist"
Decided to try something new today. Have a bunch of 12 ga hulls and decided to try reloading spent primers.

Had read an article on back and recently watched a video detailing the process. Turned out to be fairly easy by using the ground up heads of kitchen matches as the accelerant. Once you get the primers apart you tap out the firing pin dimple with a punch and refill the case with the ground up powder. Reinsert the anvil and reseat the primer in the hull.

While I have an assortment of new primers this is a good DIY trick to learn just in case!

Regards

I have read similar articles and it seems like they would light off powders that are fast but not powders that would need a magnum primer. But the process seems simple enough. Just be sure to use "strike anywhere" wooden matches and use only the white tips.

Nitesite, the process is simple but a little time consuming. But, IMO, a good process to know just in case. And goes along with our other preps. Hopefully, folks will stock up on primers when they become available again at a reasonable price.

Regarding matches, I actually used the brand that has red heads and removed all the "powder" from three match sticks and ground it up into a fine powder which could be packed in the primer pocket. Once well packed the powder doesn't fall out as you reassemble the primer.

Haven't done anything except 12 ga primers so not sure how this powder would work on rifle primers. I suspect there are other accelerants that could be used. Not sure what the original manufacture uses. But good question for us to research. Maybe someone else on the forum has information?

But bottomline, power from matches works for 12 ga shotshells.

Regards

I have heard that you can use the strike anywhere tips, as well as children cap gun caps.

I have seen what those look like inside between the layers or paper, and also the round ones. The ones with the red paper layers would have much more material in them. And I can assure you, they will burn flesh. I've done it. I had a scar on my trigger finger for years following an incident with a cap gun revolver. It burned deep.

I have always wondered exactly how you can reprime a primer though, and what you could use to keep the primer powder (lack of better description) in place or contained or kept inside the primer where it needs to be without spilling out all inside of the powder.

I want to reload 22lr, but this is a major thing stopping me.

Ernst, if you can PM me your email address, I have two really nice pdf books that I would like to send to you. It goes further into making primers from the various different chemicals used and also the quantities needed.

Done a little more research into alternate accelerants and found you can use the powder from ordinary toy pistol shot caps. Here's a link to a product example:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/par...94256a7cd97a1cc316100a3ead520b1e&gclsrc=3p.ds

Appears it would require powder from about three to four of these shot caps to fill a shotshell primer cup. I have not tried this yet so just a guess on quantity at this point. But certainly quicker than grinding up match heads.

Regarding question on keeping power in place. Sorry I didn't address this earlier. After packing in primer cup with a wooden stick simply take a small round piece of tissue paper (Kleenex) and cover the powder betore pressing in the anvil with a C-clamp or equivalent.

The process is both cheap and simple but a little time consuming. Not something I'd do everyday but if you ever find yourself in a dire situation without factory primers good to know.

Caution - be careful handling any powder and always wear safety glasses.

Regards

Many moons ago I had a Dixie Guns Works catalog , at the time they had the Tap-O-Can tool used to make percussion caps for BP guns using soda cans and the caps for cap guns. They did work well.

Back