• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Accessories

Wow, I have about $1500 dollars spent in my head already! So there are def many more aftermarket mods available for Remington, maybe just cuz there are so many more out there. I dont necessarily believe that means its better! :)

I dont like the idea of an AR stock adapter on a Mossy. It seriously hinders being able to access the safety in a ready position, you have to move your hand from the trigger. However, I am mounting a Bushnell Trophy 1 x 32 MP red dot which also has a back up standard 3 dot set up. I am considering an AR Low Tube adapter from Mesa Tactical in conjunction with maybe a MOE, CTR or UBR stock from Magpul so I can use the cheek riser and maintain a proper cheek weld while using the sight. I am mounting the sight on a rail from CDM Gear, the rail is actually manufactured by EGW (Evolution Gun Work). It is a standard mil spec 1913 picatinny, drilled and counter sunk to be receiver mounted. EGW makes these in 2 styles for Mossberg, one for models up to '96, and another for models '96 and later. I will be adding also a Marbles Big Dot Tritium front bead, a Surefire M70 tri rail forend, only so I can use a Magpul AFG.

Something I would like to do would be to have the complete VCS performed, send the bbl out... I'd also like the Vang Comp stainless shell follower and oversized safety.

After all that, I think I'm finished with this one. I have a pretty good reason for any of these I'm wanting to add, not anything as simple as "tacticool"ness. Each piece has to function, not on its own but with all the others too. I hunt, certainly not traditionally, but the gun has to function every single time, and easily pull double duty for HD with few parts to remove. And its what I like! ;)

While not an accessory, I am considering the Vang Comp treatment or a similar treatment by Aimpro (Porting and Forcing Cone Lenghting and Barrel Honing & Polishing) for my 18" 590a1.

On the 590 series, I like the following-
Vang safety, or the ETA safety. The Vang is well done, and offers a little more purchase than the stock unit. The ETA is wider, and has a great profile that seems to mesh with my thumb perfectly.
Short LOP stock or Speedfeed magazine stock. The Speedfeed has been improved over the early models that would push the recoil pad out away from the stock if the tubes were loaded. It offers a way (but not a convenient way) of carrying extra ammo on the shotgun, especially if you don't have a sidesaddle. The short LOP stocks are usually a better fit, particularly to those that want to shoot more squared up.
Sidesaddle of some sort. The TacStar has never given me a problem since I started using them back in the early 90s. The Mesas are good units, but it is important to load the rounds in brass up if you don't want to leave a trail of shells behind you during movement and firing. If you leave the rounds in the carriers this will happen regardless of which one you use at some point. If you stow your shotgun in a vehicle it will happen quicker. If you take them out after a shift or whatever then it will slow down and possibly eliminate this. The elastic units like 3 Gun Gear and Vang seem to work well regardless of the direction you put rounds in.
A sling of some sort. Yes, even on an HD gun. On pump guns I like a simple GI two point or similar. I'm trying out an OSOE bungee sling right now to see how I like it. The adjustable two points are good slings as well. I don't care for the three points, and a single point is more comfortable and capable on an SBS usually depending on how you have it mounted.
Lights are essential, especially if it is for HD and you live with someone. Target ID is a good thing, and if you think that I'm saying to run around with the light on all the time and that it is a beacon back to me please go get some low light training. The Surefire weaponlights are ideal, but not everybody wants to lay out that kind of money. No problem with that, there are a variety of ways to mount a light. Just don't go with a MiniMag, and cheap lights tend to be that way for a reason. That said, there are some very good lights for not a lot of money.
For sights, I like the Mossberg GRS kit if you want something like that, and an XS Big Dot tritium bead if you want a bead.
The hi-vis followers like those offered by Vang and S&J Hardware are good. Couple it with a Wolff spring and your feeding will probably not have a problem.

I had a chance to install my new forend before I left town...

UTG Tri-Rail Forend

My wife called last night and my other add-ons showed up at the house. I'm lookin forward to getn em installed and takin some pics when I get back home.

Tapco Intrafuse Short Vertical Foregrip

Blackhawk! 15 round Shotshell Sling

Still kickin around whether or not I need/want a heat shield and I'm gonna pick up a tac light at some point.

Thats pretty cool! I'm wantin a railed forend too, to mount an AFG. Just somethin I'd like to try. The way it feels when I'm shooting with my sling, I think the AFG would turn my hand just enough for a better hold. Hopefully that will help with the arthritis! lol!

Yeah, I threw the foregrip on there to help me hold on to the sucker. I've got the cruiser model and I figured with no stock a foregrip might help keep my cheekbone in one piece.

lol! I sometimes shoot one of mine with a pistol grip, really just for fun! I cant hit a darn thing from the hip! :lol:

Real nice! I think I'm gonna want to try the tri-rail and AFG soon... Cant decide on the Surefire forend or the Ergo. I prefer the look of the Surefire, its also indexed, which isnt needed, but the fit and finish looks better at a glance to me than the Ergo. AIMPRO uses Ergo, so theres no lack in confidence in the product.

I like the look and feel of the Surefire front ends, but I can't wrap my head around paying as much for the forend as I did for the whole gun. They are nice though.

The only real accessory that I'm looking to get at the moment is a good sling. I run a LaRue padded (VTAC) sling on my AR and I absolutely love it, so chances are I'll be picking up another.

That and I'm still looking for a Speedfeed I stock.

My VTAC sling arrived today and once I pulled it out of the box I realized that I didn't order the buttstock attachment...so now I get to wait a few more days until that arrives.

Also, would anyone know if I was to get a GG&G side sling mount that goes behind the mag tube cap, if that would work out pretty good? On the AR, my VTAC is attached in the rear of my Daniel Defense rail in a QD swivel socket. I'm just thinking that it might be a bit awkward with each end of the sling at the very end of each end of the 590A1.

Alright, received my Mesa Tactical Shell Holder from Brownell's today. Installation was pretty straight forward. The hard part was removing the Tac-Star one that was already on it! Fit and finish is excellent! The holder has a rubber piece that runs the length on the inside and holds the shells in place. All the fasteners are allen head and all supplied hardware and tools are included. I also like the fact that this holder doesn't cover up the Serial # like the other one. I have always wanted one of these, they are expensive... But, I am quite happy with it.

Shell.jpg

Shell_a.jpg

Shell_d.jpg

Shell_c.jpg

Shell_b.jpg

3 Gun Gear sidesaddles

Mark at 3GG said he is about to add a 5 and 6 round shell holder as option to his carrier lineup. He said that he expects to have this on the website sometime in the next 24 hours.
Just a heads up for anybody interested in them.

http://www.3gungear.com/

Re: 3 Gun Gear sidesaddles

That is exciting to hear, looks like a great setup to run.

590a1, 18.5", 5+1. Light mounting options.

Title pretty much says it all. I have spent a frustrating amount of time looking online. So many places pop up on google, but when you click them they don't have it but you can ask them to order it? Ummm... Why do they show up above places that do have it? :evil:

I'm having a hard time finding specs to figure out if one will fit on the magtube, or if I'll have to go another route. Some are so cheap looking it's scary. I have between a 1/2 and 5/8 of space in front of the forend.

Re: 590a1, 18.5", 5+1. Light mounting options.

There are few options for the 590A1. A possiblity would be the MT clamp from CDM Gear. Its what I have on my 590A1. I think it only requires 1" to fit.
http://www.cdmgear.com/mtclamp.html

and

http://www.cdmgear.com/mossberg.html

Other options would be forends with rail sections on them, which I havent had opportunity to use or a picatinny railed forend like what I have on my 590A1 currently, from Ergo. Its also the same forend AIMPRO uses on their "custom" guns.
http://www.ergogrips.net/item-detail.cfm?ID=4865-SHORT&storeid=1&image=moss500rail.gif

Here are a couple pics of what I am using. In this first pic, you can see the CDM Gear MT clamp and the rail section. In the next pic you will see the QD pushbutton 1 1/4" sling swivel.
39554_1457622315619_1085205913_31080803_8014155_n.jpg

164753_1610908707683_1085205913_31351598_1234646_n.jpg

Here is a pic showing the Ergo railed forend.
198486_1714645381035_1085205913_31502522_4181502_n.jpg

Hope this is able to help you some!

Re: 590a1, 18.5", 5+1. Light mounting options.

Thanks. Yeah, I don't have an inch :lol: . If I go for a mag extension, I won't have any problems, but I'm kind of wanting to make this "my gun". I like it so much I've got a hunting barrel on the way, so I don't want to make it too tacticool. I want to be able to swap barrels, and take it to the range for trap, or at most throw in a plug to make it hunt legal for birds (3 shot capacity where I am). There's a few much more modest forends than the AR style one out there I'm looking at which would be much more in line with that philosophy. like this one. Much like the plain factory with a single rail.

Moss-590LightMount.jpg

We'll see! It's a great gun. It may end up being my mild gun, and I might end up going with an 8+1 zombie sweeper down the road before they make them illegal :evil:

Back