• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Stock Options

Flex 590 - Remove Stock

Hello all I am new to this forum and recently picked up my first shotgun...the Mossberg Flex 590 Tactical. What I am having troubles figuring it is how to remove the stock completely leaving just the pistol grip? It looks as if it just screws off but I can't get it to budge and I didn't want to break it on the first day I had it! :oops: any help would be appreciated as there is very little info out there for this gun.

Re: Flex 590 - Remove Stock

Welcome jay and congrats on the flex 590; I got the same one too.
Mossberg does sell just the pistol grip with the TLS too, just never looked into it.
The flex TLS comes off complete as a whole unit, since it is all together. (Grip and stock)
Now you can remove the buffer tube by unscrewing the castle nut in front of the adjustible buttstock to take it off and leave just the grip, but u will have a bit of a tail on the back end if you are OK with that.
You will need a AR wrench to remove it. I got a pic of it in my thread below.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6031

Got if from amazon, but its available anywhere they sell AR accessories. Mine is made by Tapco.
If u need more assistance just let me know....

welcome from NY and congrats on your new mossy. :)

Thanks all. Some things I know I'm doing to it will be a side saddle, heat shield, recoil pad and a tact light. I could really use some suggestions for a tact light and for a sight upgrade too.

Really liking this site so far.

I've bought my stuff off amazon mostly. Do a 500 accessories or a 590 accessories search and all kinds if items will come up. Depending on your budget, there are good deals and there are top end items too.

Jayhawkfan18 said:
Anybody have any experience with the TacStar 6 round side saddle on the Flex?
Alost all 500/590 parts work on the flex.... Minus the buttstock and forend; so all other parts will work.
As far as experience with the side saddle, I haven't had any, but I know a few guys here have one, so one might chime in soon. Also seen a thread in the forum about it too. See below link....

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=929

Got my Limb Saver delivered yesterday. Any trick to getting it on?? It's a lot tougher than I thought!

I have model # 10019

Jayhawkfan18 said:
Got my Limb Saver delivered yesterday. Any trick to getting it on?? It's a lot tougher than I thought!

I have model # 10019

If its the same slip on I got, its a tight fit and takes persistence..... I had to use the tip of a screwdriver to get it on, but it finally went on. Hope this helps. If not let me know and see if I can help out more.

Looks to be, from the description, also looks like the one I have too.....
Im pretty sure it will fit....

And don't b scared to use the screwdriver to install it, its a tough gun....

Alright I got the 4 shot side saddle installed and the Limb Saver.... I didn't know that the stock pad came off! Lol that was my problem there. Now I also got a MagPul AFG... I noticed Stig that you originally had some issues getting yours on and making it look "clean".... What did you end up doing to make it look right? Hopefully that will be my last question. :) for the time being anyway!

Thanks again for all of your help!!

Jayhawkfan18 said:
Alright I got the 4 shot side saddle installed and the Limb Saver.... I didn't know that the stock pad came off! Lol that was my problem there. Now I also got a MagPul AFG... I noticed Stig that you originally had some issues getting yours on and making it look "clean".... What did you end up doing to make it look right? Hopefully that will be my last question. :) for the time being anyway!

Thanks again for all of your help!!

Glad the butt pad work out for you.....

As for the AFG, I initially tried to look for a new rail, but never found one that fit or lined up with the stock holes. So I flipped the bottom rail to where the angled part was facing forward, but again didn't fit properly and stuck out too much for my taste, but on the flip side the AFG was at a better position, but I wasn't really liking the tip overhanging off the forend.
Finally I took a dremil to the end angle and shaved off the sides to allow the AFG to slide through all the way, and it did the trick. I thought I had pics of it in my thread but if not I'll take some and post here tomorrow for you to see what I'm taking about.
Now ultimately I ended up taking it off completely because the recoil would cause the AFG to hit my fingers after firing multiple shots and would start to hurt a bit, guess I could of just gripped it tighter too.... But I since then installed it on my AR and put rubber rail covers on my flex instead.
Hope it gives u an idea and I'll post pics for you tomorrow. :cool:

Thank you for your reply! That's disappointing to hear about the AFG. Really liked the looks of it but I don't have a dremil at the moment and I'm sure if it hurts your fingers after a bit I would experience the same thing. I may try to figure something out or I may just send it back to Amazon. At least now I know what I have to do to make it work. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.

Jayhawkfan

Here is the AFG installed normally.... Wayyyyy too far out.

Rail flipped around and the angled end still overhanging, but AFG is now in a better position.

Bottom forend rail b4 modified

Modified with dremil. You can see the outline as too how much I removed.

Installed AFG properly....

Rubber rails installed now....

I really appreciate your replies. As much as I want it to work I think I'll have to send the AFG back... I don't think I'd end up liking the looks of it either and just end up taking it off like you did. Leave it like this for now.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368244982.930953.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368244982.930953.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 666

Jayhawk
Looking good man..... Looks just like mine in the early stages... :lol:

If I were you, I would hold on to the AFG just in case.
As much as I love the look of it on the FLEX, I ultimately ended up using in on another gun (my AR), so you never know. From time to time I put it back on just for kicks and to show it off at the range.
As last resort you can always sell it here on the forum, I know someone may need one, hell, I may even get it off you if you decide to get rid of it. Never know if and when I may need another one for another gun.
I keep all my spare parts and whatnot just in case and always buying some sort of accessory...

Back