• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Your cartridge stop is the only thing other than your mag spring exerting force on the shell as it's loaded... I would start there ( or a bent follower?)... Are the shells feding ok as you pump the action?

Yea they seem to feed fine . But its like yhe cartridge stop is protruding out to far when loading . Idk but this is getting very annoying..... ive dis and reassemble 3 times to see if anything was wrong and no gravy yet

Sr1911 said:
Wtf did i do. I went to range today and the 590a1 was flawless . I had received new interuptor and cartridge stop since it was not working right . I took it apart and cleaned it tonight put it together and now its very hard to get a shell in the mag tube . Seems to have to be pushed through the cartridge stop to enter the tube. Please help as this is my hd shotgun and idk if my 1911 and berreta +ar15 is enough to make it through the night .

,,,,,take another look.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26

Ive got the reassembly down . I even put in the old cartridge stop and it loads easiet without much force but the shells dropping out is still an issue with that cartridge stop. When you all load one in the tube does it take a biy off force to load one in past the cartridge stop? It just seems harder than it was yesterday at the range . It functions properly but its harder to push a shell in past the cartridge stop . FML

Sr1911 said:
Ive got the reassembly down . I even put in the old cartridge stop and it loads easiet without much force but the shells dropping out is still an issue with that cartridge stop. When you all load one in the tube does it take a biy off force to load one in past the cartridge stop? It just seems harder than it was yesterday at the range . It functions properly but its harder to push a shell in past the cartridge stop . FML

There's a very happy medium that the cartridge stop likes to work in... Bend it too far in and the shells will drop out our you'll get double feeds... bend it too far out and you won't get any shells to feed at all.

Have you tried seeing what the spring tension is like without any shells in? Unloadd the tube completely and depress the follower... you shouldn't feel a whole lot of tension. But I really think it's your Cartridge stop.... If it's feeding and cycling proberly now, I would honestly just leave it alone, the tension on the stop will reduce over time with shells passing over, and it should get easier to load.

Yea perhaps I put some pressure on it when I was dissasembling and bent it a bit towards the inner receiver . The old one I have has a shorter angled piece which allows the shells to fall out prematurely
I just received my new barrel with properly alligned front sight today and no blemishes or anything on it .
I will just use as is . It functions fine so I'll just be happy with that lol
The odds of having to reload are slim to none in a HD situation as I have other guns ready to go if one goes empty . How much is a new cartridge stop if wanted to buy a couple extras . I'm working on making a mount to put a 1911 or other types of pistols on the forend . If someone makes one let me know because I want to see the competition on such a product

I can see the difference in the 2 I have at the end that holds the shell . I'm probably going to buy a couple spares , any other parts that may need replaced at some point?

I recently purchased the 590 A1 I can't feed more than seven 2 3/4 rounds in the tube. The end piece on the tube is very tight and I'm cautious to not damage inserted cap. And suggestions?

Well, I would....

Wrap The mag tube end nut with a rag or towel and use a pair of pliers to loosen it.

Mine was hand tight.

I apologize if this has been posted before, but I didn't see it anywhere in this thread. I have a Mossberg 590A1 Tactical Tri-Rail, and, after the first few times I fired it, I noticed a distinct "hang" with the pump action when trying to eject the spent shell. I took it into my gun shop and had it fully cleaned, and the action is somewhat smoother, but it still requires more effort to work the pump than I would expect.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or is this normal for this particular model?

What are you shooting? Bird shot, buck, slugs? I'll from time to time (rarely) get a slight hang up with low brass birdshot. Never had a problem with high brass however.

Sr1911 said:
I'm working on making a mount to put a 1911 or other types of pistols on the forend . If someone makes one let me know because I want to see the competition on such a product

I just happened to notice this browsing the thread, and thus it may be a moot point . . .

I wouldn't do that unless you have already filed the proper ATF paperwork - attaching a handgun to a long-arm will re-classify it as a Short Barrel Rifle, which is an NFA item.

WCMTWS said:
What are you shooting? Bird shot, buck, slugs? I'll from time to time (rarely) get a slight hang up with low brass birdshot. Never had a problem with high brass however.

Since I'm currently limited to an indoor range, I'm using the Winchester (White Box) light target loads. 7 - 7 1/2 inch shot.

EDIT: I went back to the range this weekend, and tried the (black box) Winchester AA heavy target loads. It was the ammunition I started out with when I first purchased the weapon. No surprise, the action worked perfectly. Thanks for the help.

Good morning and thanks for the help you guys provide here. I want to run a problem by you guys that I didn't find using a search. Brand new 590A1 9 shot with GR sights and SpdFd stock. Cleaned and lubed out of box, took it to the range with birdshot and buckshot, started having fail to fires immediately. About 1 out of 9 rounds will load, does not fire, and ejects normally. Looking at the rounds that FTF there are no primer strikes. Reload the ejected rounds that didn't fire by themselves and they shoot fine. I'm not doing any rapid fire and I made sure I was cycling the action fully from stop to stop but I can't figure out how the trigger can drop without any signs of contact with the primer(?) This is a pretty ugly failure rate as I can recreate it at least once with every fully loaded magazine tube. Any thoughts?

Hi there,

I'm from germany so excuse me for my bad english in advance. I own a 590 Mariner 9 Shoot Model and I got some trouble with it. Sometimes wenn I fired a shot and want to slide the action to load another shell, it is only possible by putting the forearm a bit forward and than back. Also I noticed that when I move the bar that holds the shell in the Magtube the shell only comes out a little bit and gets blocked by the elevator. When I pull the forearm back and pull the trigger the forearm releasebutton only comes out, when I release the trigger. I also own a Mossberg 500 where all the 3 problems I mentioned didn't occur. I hope you could understand my problem, it's difficult for me to explain it in english. If anyone has an idea which could help me, that would be great.

Greetings from germany

Martin

I fired a shot and want to slide the action to load another shell, it is only possible by putting the forearm a bit forward and than back. Also I noticed that when I move the bar that holds the shell in the Magtube the shell only comes out a little bit and gets blocked by the elevator. When I pull the forearm back and pull the trigger the forearm releasebutton only comes out, when I release the trigger.

Click Here to fix the elevator problem.

I am not sure on the other problems. You should only have to pull back on forearm to load another shell.

The release button sounds normal. The button will come out when the trigger is pulled.

Back