• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Side Saddles and Shell Holders

Alright, received my Mesa Tactical Shell Holder from Brownell's today. Installation was pretty straight forward. The hard part was removing the Tac-Star one that was already on it! Fit and finish is excellent! The holder has a rubber piece that runs the length on the inside and holds the shells in place. All the fasteners are allen head and all supplied hardware and tools are included. I also like the fact that this holder doesn't cover up the Serial # like the other one. I have always wanted one of these, they are expensive... But, I am quite happy with it.

Shell.jpg

Shell_a.jpg

Shell_d.jpg

Shell_c.jpg

Shell_b.jpg

Re: Mesa Tactical Shell Holder

Congratulations on your new Mesa Tactical Shell Holder! They are a very nice piece of engineering. Be sure to post up some pictures when you get a chance.

Nice man! That looks great and especially like the engineering in the design with the rubber piece. I didnt know about that before now. I especially like that its loaded with Federal Tac LE HydraShok slugs!!!

I aim to please! Also, it comes with a stick on pad the protects the finish on your receiver!

That looks real nice!! I've still got to explore my options and determine which kind of side saddle I want. Thanks for posting the pics.

I replaced a Tac Star plastic model that the guy I bought it from installed. I really like this metal model better! It is also A LOT more expensive, but it is worth it in my opinion.

Do our 590A1's have an aluminum receiver? I've read a couple of places that state either the TacStar or Mesa Tactical (I forget which one) can cause problems with aluminum receivers. I'm trying to figure which one of these will be my next purchase.

Thoughts?

The Mesa came with a piece of cushioning material to protect the receiver. The TacStar rubbed a little, but I really like the Mesa.

The 590A1 does have an aluminum alloy receiver. I have zero clue about side saddles causing issues.

I believe that issue has to do with the bolt that replaces the trigger pin can squeeze the receiver and cause reloading problems. I also believe it is related to 870's and not 590's.

Thanks for the insight Kodiak! I still havent personally heard of anything in regard to this.

Kodiak said:
I believe that issue has to do with the bolt that replaces the trigger pin can squeeze the receiver and cause reloading problems. I also believe it is related to 870's and not 590's.

In pump shot guns, This was an issue very early on in Mesa history, Mesa has since changed hard wear in mounting. They use chicago screws which make it impossible to over tighten. This is a none issue now. I have also read on the internet from other people saying that mesa saddles cause wear to alloy receivers. This is also incorrect. There saddles are top of the line. Nothing to worry about. Now, Semi auto's are a completely different beast.

my mesa side saddle and shameless picture plug...... :mrgreen:
IMAG0040-1.jpg

Hey, I'm Bourbon drinker too! Thanks for the updated info. Think I'll be getting a 6 round one too.

Kodiak said:
Hey, I'm Burbon drinker too! Thanks for the updated info. Think I'll be getting a 6 round one too.

Bourbon Drinkers Unit! :mrgreen: You will love the mesa saddle, I keep them on all my pump guns.

Reciever pinch is more of an issue with semi guns than pumps. You would really have to crank down on a pump gun to get it to stop working.
The 870 has a steel reciever, not aluminum so it is more resilient to receiver pinch than the 500/590. In that regard, the 870 is less likely to have a problem. Not immune, but less likely. Same with the 1100/1187 and the 9200/930 series.
The Mesas have had problems with reciever pinch in spite of the Chicago screws, and also with improperly sized Chicago screws. There were many people with problems in the 930 platform due to the Mesa sidesaddles.
On ID guns like the Benellis/HKs, the use of any sidesaddle can cause problems not due to receiver pinch but rather from increased mass, which prevents the ID system from cycling correctly.
If you want to completely eliminate reciever pinch, use one of the adhesive mounts like 3 Gun Gear or buy some industrial Velcro and use either a Vang, Original SOE Gear, 3 Gun Gear, or Esstac shotshell card.
The Vang carrier also uses a Chicago-type screw to secure the hard plate to the receiver along with an elongated stainless ejector screw replacement, and then uses Velcro to secure the shell holder to the mounting plate. It is a nice design and will work with any of the above shell holders.

Good insight M24, Thanks!

To clarify, "ID" is Inertia Driven?

Back