• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Remington 6 1/2 ‘s

oli700

12g
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Pretty slow in here but I’ll throw it out there.

Anyone try these soft cup small rifle as a sub for small pistol ?

I have been researching it and hearing great success and can’t find any bad on the subject.
This could be valuable info for reloaders in the near future. I have a 1000 laying around I’ll probably load some light 9mm's and work up and see how they do....

These were the only small rifle primers on the shelf the last time I looked.
Reason being Remington doesn’t recommend them for 223 because the high pressure round CAN blow a small hole in the primer leading to a micro jet in turn the jet acts as a little blow torch on your bolt face, ruining it in time.
It seems I have used these in the past in 223 with no issues......word is if you keep them below 55,000 psi the cup holds up.

Anyway small pistol is the toughest primer to find right now and we have a heap of CCI and Fed small rifle so what the hell

Hi, oli~

I tried Rem 6-1/2 in .223 and about 20% pierced with even mid-range loads of BL-(C)2 and H335.

I have since used almost all of mine up in handgun plinking rounds. If there are some available somewhere at a good price grab 'em. They perform fine and don't have any more "ooomph" than standard small pistol primers.

Fact is, Remington acknowledges that the only rifle cartridge their 6-1/2 primers are intended for is the diminutive little .22 Hornet. Yeah, I know..... knowing trivial little tidbits like that shows that I need to get out more often.........

Another sign that I need to come up for air more frequently: I know that the correct name for primer ooomph is "brisance."

Take care, buddy.

Thank you for the feedback, that seals it.
Hope everything is going well

Back