• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Re: Mossberg 930 wont pick up shell ?? Also jamms.

rene said:
I dont think it has to do with the way Im holding the bolt.
I'm not saying that you were, I was saying don't do that in trying to figure out and observe what the shotgun is doing.
I open ti yesterday after I came from work and read the instructions on how to open the shoot gun. When I did I notice that the button that realeses the bolt has a spring at the far end of a level, I personally think that the problem is in that area.
I don't think the problem is in the bolt release. It sounds like it is the shell stop or interrupter. The bolt release isn't going to cause the problem you describe; bad stops and latches will.
Either way, Ill be taking it today to the gun shop again today after work, and Ill be asking to get it either exchange for a mossberg 500 or something else. Ive already lost the emotion and the love for this shootgun. I dont think its a reliable gun anymore.
I'd agree that from what you describe it isn't. I don't think it is beyond repair however, especially if you haven't tried to fire it again or have someone look at the stops.

m24shooter said:
Another thing to watch for on the SPX guns or the 5 round models that you put extensions on is the threaded end of the mag tube. On some guns that is a rough area. If you are having trouble feeding rounds with a full mag tube or if you can fire the first two or three rounds but then the shotgun stops feeding, take a small round file or Dremel and slightly polish/chamfer the inside of that area. Sometimes you can feel a slight lip on the inside. That lip can snag the follower and/or rounds and prevent the shotgun from feeding if an extension is used.

You said that a spring putting too much pressure ? sounds right to me. Because it will load one shell into the chamber. But when theres 4 on the magazine, I think theres that would put more pressure on the stoper. I dont really know what to do right now. Its just that I spent all this money and I was expecting to act flawless like my other gun that I have since a year already. Ill be going to the gun shop and Ill see what they can do. Cause I really wanted a shootgun with less recoil than a pump action so the wife could shoot it in case of self defense.

rene said:
m24shooter said:
Another thing to watch for on the SPX guns or the 5 round models that you put extensions on is the threaded end of the mag tube. On some guns that is a rough area. If you are having trouble feeding rounds with a full mag tube or if you can fire the first two or three rounds but then the shotgun stops feeding, take a small round file or Dremel and slightly polish/chamfer the inside of that area. Sometimes you can feel a slight lip on the inside. That lip can snag the follower and/or rounds and prevent the shotgun from feeding if an extension is used.

You said that a spring putting too much pressure ? sounds right to me. Because it will load one shell into the chamber. But when theres 4 on the magazine, I think theres that would put more pressure on the stoper. I dont really know what to do right now. Its just that I spent all this money and I was expecting to act flawless like my other gun that I have since a year already. Ill be going to the gun shop and Ill see what they can do. Cause I really wanted a shootgun with less recoil than a pump action so the wife could shoot it in case of self defense.

I also forgot. After spending all this money, I really dont want to be investing more money on something that should have been performing well from the begining.

Let us know what the shop says but I have a feeling after you send some lead down range you will gain all confidence back in the Mossberg 930 autoloader. Its an amazing firearm and for me mine has been nothing but reliable.

rene said:
rene said:
m24shooter said:

I also forgot. After spending all this money, I really dont want to be investing more money on something that should have been performing well from the begining.

Whole lotta people here have had 'teething problems' and would be EXTREMELY WILLING to help ya' in anyway they/we can!! And is your shell elevator functioning properly or is IT getting 'hung up'? Worst case scenario, there are some EXCELLENT folks at Mossy (if ya know who to talk to!) So, if a really want the 930, I'm pretty sure it can be fixed, under warranty of course if it has to come to that! I'll be following your progress, cause you shouldnt have to deal w/this. May just be a 'needs break-in' thing? I'd pay attention to M24shooters suggestions, got me the info I needed, BEST OF LUCK!! :D
Stephen

Re: 930 Bolt release removal

ChuckS said:
Nope,

Not yet. I haven't figured it out yet and I have been distracted by other things lately. I have about 90 rounds through this thing and it has been faultless. I had thought that I may have to do something since it would not always put a round on the lifter using the bolt release if I have 7 or more rounds in the tube. But it shoots flawlessly so I will get to it sometime...

Any suggestions?

Later,
Chuck
I've never pulled mine out because there is a small pin that holds the roll pin in. It is in a just slightly wider slot, and I don't even know how I would get it out. I cannot imagine how much fun it would be to get it back in.
As for your mag tube issue. First check the inside of the mag tube where the threading is for the extension. Feel inside and see if there is a slight burr. Get a round file or Dremel and chamfer the end of the mag tube slightly. The transition area of the mag tube can cause problems like you describe. You might also want to check the length of your mag tube spring. Choate has been sending springs to OFM that are 40" long, and can put too much pressure on the shell stops, preventing the proper timing so that a shell is released. Particularly the first round and especially when operating by hand.
If your spring is in the 40" neighborhood, you can trim it back. Start by taking a few inches off, and go one coil at a time until it works.

not to come off as a jerk, but do you know how to post a video on youtube? i'd like to see you re-create this issue you're having. perhaps people here may have a better perspective. for some reason i keep thinking you're caught up with the same mindset i had in the beginning. i couldn't get my 930 to behave they way i FELT it should. all doubt has now been erased since i've taken her out.

also, it seems that IF it is the fact the spring in the tube is too long, simply cutting it as has been suggested should fix you right up. that, or give the spring time to loosen up and not be so stiff. a video really would help us help you.

either way, keep us updated.

I appreciate all your help guys but I not only got fed up with the gun but also with the poor service from the gun shop. I returnd it yesterday, and hopefully my brother will get me a pump action shotgun now. In between the prospect theres a mossberg 590 that I got my eye on. I ll let you know what Ill be getting on Sunday. I you guy would like to know what I had to dealt with on the gun shop you can check the post that I created that says, whats the policy and laws to returned defective firearms ? Again, thanks for the intell and the support.

Good news, I got rid of the defective 930 and now Im the proud owner of a Mossberg 500 tactical. :D

rene said:
Good news, I got rid of the defective 930 and now Im the proud owner of a Mossberg 500 tactical. :D
COOL! And... ENJOY!!
Stephen

rene said:
Congratulations on your new Mossberg 500 tactical!

I got to shoot the 500 yesterday. Shooting slugs hurts !! LOL. But 00 buck was fun. I totally love my Mossberg 500. I called it Mike like the angel. My Springfield XDs name is gabe like the angel too. LOL

Anyone got Pointers on Choate PG install???

I bought a Mossberg 930spx riffle stock also purchase a Choate PG stock and I'm looking for someone who has done this install before because the Choate PG Stock didnt come with instructions and would like someone to give me pointer on install and what to look out for...

Re: Anyone got Pointers on Choate PG install???

As far as I know it is a pretty straight forward install. You remove the buttpad from your stock via two philips head screws. Then there is a nut that you will remove and your stock should come off at that point. Follow those directions in reverse and you should be good to go.

Hi M24,

Heck, taking apart spring-loaded gun parts is always interesting!

As for the mag thing, I found a couple other guys with the same observation and they traced it back to beat up rims on their dummy rounds. Since mine shoots fine, I am guessing that is what happens to me.

When I first installed the Nordic tube, there was some interference at round 5. I broke the follower edge (work on the cheapest part first!) just a hair and now there is no issue where the tubes meet. The Nordic tube I put on came with a long spring. My first cut was where it just allowed the 9 shells to fit in the tube. I then took off coil by coil until it was reasonably easy to load 9 but the last still snapped out. I got distracted by the problem above and may of went a bit far, but I did stop when I realized the problem was random-ish.

So far so good but I am sure I will need to clean under the bolt release sometime. The desert has a way of getting into everything!

Later,
chuck

I didn't realize you were using dummy rounds. They will do it, as will repeatedly chambering the same round over and over.
Glad it is worked out.

Lifter issues...am I alone?

okay, this should go into the "930 issues" thread but i wanted to broaden my exposure. i've had this issue since i got the 930 spx and i don't know if it only affects me or everyone else as well. say you have a full magazine tube and want to do the quick empty using the release button. there is the recess milled out of the bottom of the bolt assembly that allows the lifter to rest to give enough clearance when loading and unloading the mag tube.

well, my problem is that the lifter often times does not rest in the recess but rather just to the side of it. and this causes the shell to hit the lifter and remain stuck until i give sideways pressure to the lifter to push it over, allowing it to fall into the recess. this actually happens ALOT. i have no idea if the recess should have been wider, or if my trigger housing and connected lifter are too sloppy and causes the issue or if the lifter itself should be bent a more obtuse angle. or perhaps the recess should have been milled wider.

this poses a big problem if i ever have to use this in a home defense situation. it affects both loading and unloading. i've been "dealing" with it and putting up with it until just now when i was showing my girlfriend how to load and unload the spx if i'm not around and she needs to use it. i found myself instructing her how to "lessen" the chances of the lifter not resting within the recess and i felt like i was teaching her how to jury rig the gun.

am i the only one here, because if so, i'm calling mossberg tomorrow. otherwise, if it happens to all of us, then a re-engineering is in order on their part for future production runs. that, and a replacement part/s for me when they become available. this is no longer acceptable to me. and this sucks because both me and my girlfriend LOVE this shotgun!

relief1.jpg

relief2.jpg

Re: Lifter issues...am I alone?

I'm on the same boat but easily fixed by unloading the shells by sticking 4 fingers inside and holding the lifter open while depressing the release button and guiding the out coming shell with you index finger...

agreed. but this is a simple oversight on mossberg's part. don't get me wrong, i love my baby. but dang, something so simple as milling out the recess .062" more or changing the angle of the bend on the lifter would completely eliminate this. i can easily take the bottom assembly and give it to the cnc dept or even our manual bridgport guy and mill it out some. but then i'd have to get it re-blackened. we have a blackening dept at my work too, but it won't come out the same.

something this simple should not just be accepted by we, the consumers. i'm going to call mossberg for shits and giggles and see what they say. i think i already know, but at least i can try. then i'll either keep putting up with it, or mill wider myself.

AH, S**T. they said they aren't aware of this problem and to ship it back to them and there is 2 - 3 week turnaround time. uh, but i don't want to wait that long. i think i may attempt to unbend the lifter myself. warranty be damned. i'm sure if i complained enough i could get them to cover shipping both ways, but guess what, i'm tired of companies across the nation anymore.

Back