• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Re: detent ball stuck in safety indicator

bradyblack said:
actually after i came on here and said it didn't work, i gave your idea another try. except i really smacked it a good one. and it did work. the safety looks a bit rough now, but it functions properly. thanks for the help.

bradley

Glad to help. Try a small dremel round cutting tool on the "rough spot" and finish with
nail polish. Just get the "wax" out of the detent first. No one will notice if the red dot is
a little bigger.

Newby Question...

Hello to all! I'm new to the forum & new to Mossberg as well. A few days ago I got a 930 Home Security and was wondering about the function of the gun. (My other shotguns are a Winchester 140 & a Saiga .410). I have not had the chance to shot the 930 yet, but I have loaded it with 4 in the magazine & 1 in the chamber. When I pulled the charging handle back to eject the shell in the chamber, the shells in the magazine stayed in the magazine. Is this normal or should a shell from the magazine moved to the elevator? Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Newby Question...

Howdy, welcome to the forum. Stop by introductions and say hi, you’ll want to hang here after you look round some.
I would say not normal for any semi shotgun. Standby, some folks around here have some serious time with the 930 and will be along to help.

When I first bought my 1100, I was concerned when I tried to cycle the gun, the bolt would lock open and a round would not feed up from the magazine, this is normal at least for an 1100....LOL!!
I believe that the 930 is the same and will cycle just fine when you actually pull the trigger on a live round.
Give it a try, you will be surprised, there is a lot going on in a semi once you actually shoot it.

I have a Winchester semi that will cycle all the rounds out by hand....all three lol. It's the only one I have experience with

So some semi shotguns just won’t do it by design?

Just checked and my 930 feeds shells just fine when racked by hand. By racked I mean racked like an ar15 don't ride the bolt let it use all the momentum it can, I've found I can slowly rack it back and essentially unchamber the round without loading another.

LTB45 said:
When I first bought my 1100, I was concerned when I tried to cycle the gun, the bolt would lock open and a round would not feed up from the magazine, this is normal at least for an 1100....LOL!!
I believe that the 930 is the same and will cycle just fine when you actually pull the trigger on a live round.
Give it a try, you will be surprised, there is a lot going on in a semi once you actually shoot it.
Negative. The 930 should cycle rounds by hand.
OP, if your shotgun isn't cycling rounds you need to check the length of your mag tube spring. Measure it and see how long it is. The 930 SPX has had a history of this problem, which has been largely due to mag springs that are too long. The other issue that causes this shell stops and latches that are not properly aligned. Sometimes they can be bent slightly so that they will feed the rounds properly. If you look you should be able to see a small arm that is holding the rear edge of the shell and keeping it in the mag tube when the bolt is opened.
If you don't load the mag to capacity, will it still cycle rounds manually? Take the rounds out of the mag tube one at a time and see if the problem goes away with 3 rounds in the mag, or 2. If the problem goes away your spring is exerting too much pressure on the rounds, preventing them from being released by cycling the bolt.
I would not be in the least surprised if OFM put too long a spring in.

How do you remove the spring? I took off the mag cap & there is some sort of spring retainer in the end of the tube holding the spring in place. Also, if I remove the retainer will this void the warranty? (It's also a 930 Home Security 4+1, not the SPX model) Thanks for the input so far.

jbb said:
How do you remove the spring?
The spring retainer should have a slot in it. Typically you can either put a screw driver in the thing and turn it or simply pry it out with a driver in the slot. I haven't messed with one in years and remove them in anything I find them on.
I took off the mag cap & there is some sort of spring retainer in the end of the tube holding the spring in place. Also, if I remove the retainer will this void the warranty?
Shouldn't. It's a spring retainer. It keeps the spring from flying out when you remove the mag cap. It's also impossible to clean out the mag tube if you can't remove the retainer.
(It's also a 930 Home Security 4+1, not the SPX model) Thanks for the input so far.
I know. That's why I said to try it with three rounds in the mag tube, and then two, etc as opposed to six and then five ad nauseum.
I mentioned the SPX because that problem occurs in the SPX and is largely due to too much spring length. Given that OFM does some really bizarre things from time to time, I wouldn't be surprised if an SPX spring ended up in a Security model. A 590 trigger pin ended up in an SPX, so it is possible.

The spring in my 930 is 22 1/2" long. Not sure if that is the right length or not. When I reassembled it, I put a little Remoil on the follower then tried with 4 shells of Winchester target load in the magazine. To my surprise all 4 cycled. So I tried with the Remington buckshot & I was back to square one & had to manually eject all 4 shells. I tried the Winchester again & ran into the same problem as the Remington. (All shells were 2 3/4"). Do you clean the magazine the same way you clean the barrel? Thanks again.

I also noticed with 1-2 rounds of Remington in the magazine, they would sometime cycle but you see a delay before the shell would go onto the elevator.

With it being off and on, it may just be that you need to go shoot the thing a lot. There is some merit to breaking in this shotgun, although some don't have that issue. Clean the shotgun, and mean very well, if you haven't already. Even if you have, it would be a good idea to do it again. OFM ships their stuff with industrial grade pluturdium inside and you need to get it all out. Then lube the shotgun. A lot. Inside the receiver, along the gas system, on the bolt, in the FCG. Ignore the manual in this case and run it wet. If you have to, load a round manually in the chamber if it won't release one from the mag at first. Shoot it and see if you have the same problem as it fires.
If you're seeing a delay, and with the shotgun sometimes working manually and sometimes not, it may just be a cleaning and break in issue.

So, what is considered a proper break in period? How many shells would that be roughly? And, m24shooter, thanks for adding the new word to my dictionary - "pluturdium" - I'll have to use that one in the future! Just out of curiosity, what's the FGC? Thanks.

There is no way to tell how much of a break in period is needed. The best way to put it is, until it doesn't need it anymore. Mine didn't need one at all. Others needed 30 rounds, some people run it more before it settles in.
Cleaning is very important. OFM is notorious for the crap that gets shipped in new guns. It can be very heavy and thick and cause problems. Running it dry doesn't help.
The FCG is the fire control group. The parts that are held in the trigger guard.

Thanks for all of the info & help. I plan on shooting it Wednesday, (Pending the weather), and will let you know how it does..........

Well, I cleaned I oiled the 930 today & took it out this evening for a test shot. I shot quite a bit: 7 Winchester 00 buck, 5 Remington 00 buck, 4 Winchester 1oz slugs (never shot slugs before - didn't realize they kicked that much!) & 10 Winchester #8 target loads. The 930 is cycling like it should & did not have any problems shooting it today! It will now cycle the shells through the chamber manually too! That's great.....would have hated to send a new gun back for warranty work! Thanks for all of the input that was given - it really helped.

Good deal! I've been watching to see how things go for you!

Glad to hear your Mossberg 930 is performing as it should!

Back