• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Remmington Slugger Slug in 85D

DarkHelmet

Copper BB
I have a real newbie question. If I remove the choke from my 85D can I then use the Remington Slugger slugs? The are said to need an open choke I believe because they are a little larger in size.

If it has an internal threaded barrel, DO NOT shoot a slug through it without a choke in place.

The slug sliding past the (exposed) threads will ruin the threads if you do.

If the threads are external, yes you can shoot it without the choke if you want to, but just be careful to not damage the threads or ding the crown when the choke is not on it because the barrel will be really thin where the threads are.

If it has an internal threaded barrel, DO NOT shoot a slug through it without a choke in place.

The slug sliding past the (exposed) threads will ruin the threads if you do.

If the threads are external, yes you can shoot it without the choke if you want to, but just be careful to not damage the threads or ding the crown when the choke is not on it because the barrel will be really thin where the threads are.

Thank you for prompt reply. It sounds like what I need then is an "Improved Cylinder" choke. The Slugger slug is larger than a regular slug and requires a "Cylinder Bore" choke which I believe is what the 85D would be with the Improved Cylinder choke.

The above statements are my understanding and I do not pretend to know exactly what I'm talking about :)

Please confirm I understand correctly or please correct me.

Your help is very much appreciated.

I don't know that a Remington slug is any larger than any other slug, however, I prefer either a cylinder (or sometimes called open bore) choke, or even an Improved cylinder choke.

I have shot slugs through modified chokes, however, I just prefer either cylinder or improved cylinder chokes.

I would stake my career on the absolute fact that Sluggers are not a measurably larger diameter than other loaded slug ammunition.

And I agree that its absolutely necessary to leave in any choke tube that is now inside your barrel, or purchase another and install it. Nobody would ever suggest that you should fire any shotgun ammunition (not just slugs) in an interchangeable choke barrel without a tube in place

BTW, a foster slug is designed to safely be fired thru any choke constriction. Yes, the accuracy is best with Cylinder or Imp. Cylinder but for decades there have been a crapload of Remington and other brands of slugs fired thru old single shots and pre-interchangeable tube pumps and semis that came with fixed chokes of FULL or MODIFIED.

Last edited:
Thanks again for your reply. I've read so much lately on this no doubt I probably make a mistake on the Remington Slugger size. I do remember there was a slug that said it was make a little larger for a tighter fit for a cylinder bore choke and should not be used in a modifed or full choke. But can't remember for sure which. thought slugger but I remembered incorrectly.

I will purchase a Mossberg 20IC choke for my 85D and give it a try.

Any recommnedations from anyone on a 20 ga slug for my 85D for deer hunting?

Also, any way to mount a scope on a 85D ?

Thx
Steve

Back