• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Remmy Slugs vs Federal Truball Slugs

Water Monkey

The man, the myth, the monkey
Supporter
Got out to the range this morning with my Fiance. I wanted to work on some accuracy with her and some reloading from the side saddle. And I wanted to group my bulk order of remmington slugs (1600 fps) and the federal truball slugs (1600fps).

Fedreal grouped tighter but I had 2 way off the mark. Remmington groups within 12" diameter. both shot at 50 yards. All slugs shot out of a Mossberg 590A1 smooth bore with a bead sight (factory) with 12" LOP Hogue Stock and forend grip.

Here's video of it plus some other stuff we did at the range:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVKDWnugC3U[/youtube]

WaterMonkey! Great video man! You both are doin well and your reloads look great, nice and smooth and back on target quickly!

That factory bead is black isnt it? It helped me to go to somethin with more visibility. I chose the Meprolight tritium 5/40 thread. I found though (after missing a couple birds while hunting and then havin to back to do some repatterning) I was shootin low with it cuz the profile is slightly taller than the factory bead. I just had to adjust and cover my target better with the bead. I imagine a fiber optic may be similar. But if your gun groups a little high anyway, if you ever switched it may never be a problem.

If I may, the only other thing I'd recommend for your fiance, is to see if she can get a little more square behind the gun moving the recoil pad into the pocket of her shoulder a fuzz. I heard you mentioning to speed up some, or go faster. Being more square may be able to speed up recovery between shots by helping to redirect recoil.

Her side saddle reloads looked pretty good and she really made nice work of handling the 590!!!

Good video man! I'm gonna give this a linky-do in the ammo review thread.

Thanks Rossignol!

Yeah I noticed that when I was cutting the video she needed to put the stock in her pocket and square up a bit. Things you don't notice while at the range and filming lol

This was her first time actually doing side saddle reloads and we found out that the gun is too heavy for her to load like I do so we modified it to tuck it under her shoulder and do the reloads.

Yes it's the black bead. I was thinking of doing a big bead but to in all honesty its gonna be a HD shotgun so the sights on them now are basically spot on for what I need it for. As long as the Misses can handle the weapon I'm fine with it.

Thanks for watching!

Water Monkey said:
Things you don't notice while at the range and filming lol

Yep, this is one of the biggest reasons we film while we shoot, then we review and realize the stuff we coulda done differently.

I understand what youre sayin bout the bead, and the only other thing I'd say about the black for an HD/SD gun, is that the bead is black. I may have a brass bead layin around if youre interested in tryin it out?

Looked to me like she did pretty well supporting the gun with her arm, but improvising to make it work better or easier to do is what its about. Finding what works for you, or in this case for her. Make adjustments and practice practice practice!

Youre welcome BTW, and I enjoyed it! Thanks for sharin it with us!

I absolutely enjoyed watching your video! And I think it's wonderful that your fiance can and will shoot 1600-fps slugs. My wife won't even shoot low-brass 1-oz #7.5 game loads that poke along at 1200-ish from my 590. Now the Browning Gold Fusion might be another story, but it's really long for her. I'm sending you a +1 Rep Point; you earned it!

Rossignol said:
I understand what youre sayin bout the bead, and the only other thing I'd say about the black for an HD/SD gun, is that the bead is black. I may have a brass bead layin around if youre interested in tryin it out?

Yeah I'm interested thanks! But I'm a tool and I have zero idea how to remove the current black bead. I was thinking of just hitting it with sandpaper.

nitesite said:
I absolutely enjoyed watching your video! And I think it's wonderful that your fiance can and will shoot 1600-fps slugs. My wife won't even shoot low-brass 1-oz #7.5 game loads that poke along at 1200-ish from my 590. Now the Browning Gold Fusion might be another story, but it's really long for her. I'm sending you a +1 Rep Point; you earned it!

Awesome man thanks for the rep! But I have to be honest she never shot the slugs but she did shoot the 00 Buck which is rated 1600 fps and handled it like a champ! In the video she was eventually hitting center mass. The slip on limbsaver takes a lot of the umpf out of the recoil.

BTW I really have to mention this. NY ranges blows for patterning shot. I pulled in the movable target to the 10 yard line to pattern the buck and have her shoot at HD distances. The Range owner comes by and gives me a little bit of a hard time (he was being very nice about it I have to admit) that he only wants bird shot being used on that target as larger caliber eats up the steel on the stand and he's concerned with richocet. How in gods green earth am I supposed to figure out the pattern of my shot if I can't get the proper distance to pattern it. So basically my only option to patter is with bird shot at those distances (and he wasn't too keen on the stand at 10 yards) and use the 50 yard for larger caliber. And this range is known for being very liberal with their target shooting. Other ranges I cant even stand up to shoot my shotgun it is all done in a sitting position for paper targets. I guess it's time to get into trap shooting now because those ranges are prevalent here.

Well at least I got my data.

WaterMonkey, I just used channel lock pliers to remove the factory bead. Theres probably a "right" way, but heck, it worked...

If I can find the danged brass bead I'll let you know man, otherwise just as you said, you may be able to polish the black factory bead.

I'll try and find that thing in the meantime...

Back