• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Removing the castle nut

ladytech777 said:
I won't say "I told you so"........ but....it always works. You can go broke buying tools for only one specific purpose. Being a "purist" is fine ...if you can afford it! To avoid marring the piece find a short plastic rod about 1/4 or3/8 dia. about 4" long. Tap it to lock it down and it will be easy to remove when you need to in the future. A little light grease on the threads will help. You would be surprised how tight you can make it with just a few raps with the rod. It the rod breaks- who cares. You might try a wood dowel also now that you have it loosened up. (BTW_ the adjustable spanners are lousy to try and use)

It's not lack of belief, and I agree that having a specialty tool means spending a lot of money for a uni-tasker, it is just I hate making a mistake and marring up what I spend good money on. I will probably use the dowel for now without any issues, and at some point make or buy a tool that will do the job.

Back