• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rethinking my purchase of my 590A1

recoil is not the problem for the wife. She does just fine with it. Her issue is the weight of the loaded shotgun. I even unloaded all but one round and the weight of the heavier barrel is still a bit much for her to hold up for any length of time.

This is going to sound really counterintuitive, but I added a 7-shell cuff to the stock of my 930 SPX. While in reality it made the whole package heavier, it completely changed the balance which makes it feel lighter. It also points much faster, at least for me.

Tried the cuff thinking it may help the balance but it did not for her. She has it in her head that the 590A1 is just too heavy and she will not change. I am doomed to look for the double barrel coach gun so she has something to use when I am not around.

590A1 is heavy. due to the 20 inch heavy barrel. thats why i settled with a 590 18inch plane jane. why didnt you go with 500 for her?

Its your call on the Stoeger.
From what I have seen from them.....don't waste your money.

One friend blew a hole in his house when shutting the barrels on his Stoeger SxS HD.
Another friend had both barrels firing with one pull of the trigger.

I hope you got it resolved, if you haven't and it's still too heavy for her, I would try selling it on Armslist.com (if it's legal to do so in your state). Personally, I would list it both ways (stock and as configured). My experience is that people ask too much for configured guns. The nice thing about configurable guns is that you can personalize them, and I don't know about others, but unless they have an accessory I have made up my mind that I want, I am NOT interested in other people's customization. That said, I haven't had a lot of luck selling accessories by themselves, but it can be done, and I've also had to throw them in to even trades or sweeten the pot (as others have done for me as well).

Given what you said your needs are for, I would definitely consider getting out of the 590 series altogether and start looking at 500 series options. That is not a downgrade in my opinion. The thicker barrel of the A1 series in particular is going to add weight. You don't have to worry about that in the regular 590 serious, but there are still a lot of lighter options in the 500, 505, and 510 lines. I'd also consider getting a 20 gauge because they'll be lighter yet, and remember, even if she's fine with the recoil, you're going to feel it a little more in a lighter gun. In other words, you may find yourself trading the lighter gun in again, and losing more money, because now it kicks harder. You can surely avoid that with a 20 gauge which is still more powerful than a .44 magnum if you think it's the right option. If you plan on customizing a 20 gauge, however, you may be more limited in your options.

Anyway, I hope this helps if you haven't settled in on anything. Given that you shoot a lot and it's been a few months, you probably already put this matter to rest, but it's something for others to contemplate if they're in the same boat reading this.

the 590A1 18.5 is heavy to begin with then add the S&J all steel extension it can get heavy
I have one with the extension and a light attachment (Surefire military surplus) and yeah its now heavier than a 20 inch 590A1
Don't get me wrong I really like my shotty but its not something someone who is small in stature could use well
get her a 500 5 shot
they are really light

I would invest in a Glock 19 for her instead of the shotgun. Very light weight, high capacity and low recoil. She may even find she likes going to the range with it, and may also consider getting her CCW. Just a thought.

His wife wants to shoot Snakes, Squirrels and Coons.
A Glock 19 aint the right gun.

Back