• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Retro tacticool 590A1...?

I've had my 590A1 awhile and have always wanted some old school corncob wood furniture for it. I've seen the forend for sale a few times, and the correct stock, but rarely a matched original set. I was bidding on a set on eBay and it went for $128. Jeez, that's more than some folks pay for an entire 500! So I started looking for donor shotguns on GunBroker and found this little gem (bottom in pic).

20249808144_2894aa35db_h.jpg

It's a 500ATP, the grandpappy of the 590A1 and original bad boy "military & police" Mossberg pump. It was not listed as an ATP, but one of the closeup pics showed the bottom of the receiver with the model info. It came with a field barrel so I think I got an OK deal. You can see my 590A1 in the pic, with Hogue furniture, S&J mag extension and CDM light mount with Surefire P2X Fury.

Time for the switcheroo!

It turned out to not be as easy as I was expecting. The 500ATP has the really early anti-rattle mag tube with the 2 collars silver soldered on. The spring was missing so it offered nothing to prevent rattling, and only headaches. I had some difficulty removing the wood from the action slide so I decided to just swap the entire slide. But that wasn't meant to be either thanks to the stupid anti-rattle collars on the 500 mag tube and the anti-rattle dimples inside the 590 action slide. I reluctantly put some extra heat into the slide nut and it worked like a charm, though I did slightly char the wood. D'oh! I should've put more effort into protecting it from the heat.

Anyway, the switch was complete!

20672859580_97835ac9ba_h.jpg

20684286600_20969aa0b0_h.jpg

I just ordered an Aimpro heat shield but I'm pretty sure it will interfere with the light mount. I may remove the light as it doesn't really fit the look I'm going for. What to do...

20879561911_8358e3bb5f_h.jpg

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I love the old wood on 590A1's. Personally, I would refinish the wood to my liking and slap a new recoil pad on the stock. Here's one that I did... stripped and refinished old 500 wood furniture:
590A1WoodatRange_zps0d81a199.png

Thanks everyone!

st1264, I actually like the wood exactly as it is. It has a dark, rich color to it. I've moved the light mount onto the mag extension, so now the light is almost flush with the muzzle. Now the Aimpro heat shield will definitely fit. Yay!

I was thinking about getting one of the exact fit Limbsaver recoil pads. We shall see.

Back