• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Right-folding non-blocking stock

climatex

Copper BB
Hello folks,

I've been an owner of a pistol-grip-only Mossberg Mariner 500A for some time and I'd like to give a try to a folding stock, to keep the level of compactness that a PGO stock provides, but with more accuracy should it be extended. Besides that, I have no problem with the recoil of a PGO..

Now, out of numerous stocks I have seen reviews of, a majority of those comfy-on-the-cheek and good looking ones, fold to the left side, where I have a side saddle installed. This is the reason I'd prefer a right-side-folding one, which does not block the ejector port and simultaneously, doesn't bruise your cheek so it's not just a thick friggin' wire (really, I care more about the ruggedness and comfortability, than of the looks).

I've also taken a look at the ATI over-folding stock that's just hideous, blocks the sight with its shell holder (when collapsed) and according to other users' reviews, gives you a bitchslap to the cheek when fired.

The side saddle of mine I have mentioned - well it's not a permanent modification to the gun, with my adhesive velcro tape treatment that withstands the recoil of the gun and doesn't move itself - but I could just tear it off when absolutely necessary should I find no suitable right folding stocks, but then again, in that case I'd prefer a stock that has an integrated shell holder. Something like this made by Southern Arms: http://www.saatg.com/imagedb/image161111-c1c552872f74ae581b14581a34253d53.jpg However they sell it as a whole complete shotgun and them darn rednecks won't even let me view their website as a non-U.S. customer.

That being said, my last requirement is a seller that can do business outside America. I reside in an European country where a concealed carry of a sawn off shotgun, or a 200rnd Glock, should there be one, is perfectly legal - then again, use just 1 single hollowpoint round in self-defense and you're an outlaw.

With all this "filtering" I'm just unable to find a suitable piece.. Any hints, gentlemen? The PGO is just unsuitable for engaging targets more than 25m away, and a fixed stock is my no-no.

Thanks

The stock you said the rednecks wouldn't let you look at, folds to the left anyway. And I'm certain they don't make that particular buttstock.

I didn't have a problem accessing that page.

But I'm smack dab in the middle of redneck country, so...maybe that's why I didn't have a problem.

I also don't know of any right hand folders because that would typically block the ejection port and interfere with the function of the gun.

I think you've slightly misunderstood me - the thing is, as I've mentioned in my first post - I could just remove the side saddle off the left side of my receiver, and happily continue living with a left-folding stock, IF it has a shell holder, like the one I've given as an example. Otherwise I'd leave the saddle as it is, and would be going for a right folding stock that doesn't block the ejection port, which was my intention. Indeed they do exist - I have managed to find one for a Remington 870: http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/arms...963_02_remington_870_with_folding_sto_640.jpg . It seems it can do a good face weld though.. Basically, that's all - I don't require additional features to it - no buffer tubes, shock absorbers, to be made of walnut wood etc., other than being just "rugged" as you would normally expect when it comes to firearm parts.

I have some understanding that American companies are not willing to sell ,,anything gun related'' abroad in general because of different regulations in each country/state, so, like in my case, I have been given an example of playing possum with all website access blocked. I mean, I cannot see this itself as a restricted item, even when it comes to international postage - and besides, it's up to the customer to verify whether his item is in accordance with law, when it's mounted on the weapon itself. I hope you get my point so I don't have to discuss gun politics here.

Thanks

The thing I am not sure you are understanding, if you mount anything on the right side of the receiver, it's going to interfere with the function of the gun if it blocks the ejection port. And thus why side saddles are made to go on the left side of the receiver and you are not finding one that goes on the right.

The buttstock you linked is certainly interesting. Looks like something someone made in their garage. Judging by the grip they used, they also made it a long time ago. I don't believe I would personally want to use it. It would put a lot of stress on the receiver where the bolt screwed in to it. Especially with high power loads.

I think it is you who may not understand US laws, ITAR and I truly do not want to discuss international gun politics here with you either.

To my knowledge, the US doesn't block foreign internet. If it did, you would not be able to view what I just wrote. That is likely coming from Slovakia.

China blocks internet, Iran blocks internet, the US created the internet.

if you mount anything on the right side of the receiver...

Did I state anywhere in my replies that I was going to mount something to the right side of the receiver? If so, where ?

Looks like something someone made in their garage.

I cannot verify the origin of that particular stock, since the image points to an online listing that had expired. I've just stated it for illustrative purposes only.
Looks like Butler Creek seems to be producing similar stocks, for Mossberg 500s even - http://mossberg500fan.com/mossberg-500-pistol-grip/ .

To my knowledge, the US doesn't block foreign internet.

I presume the Southern Arms corporation web site, which is located at http://www.saatg.com has a .htaccess file, in which a rule is set to restrict non-American IP addresses so that such visitors are directed straight to http://www.saatg.com/usonly.html . To skip out the IT and geolocation stuff on a gun board, I've called that with a simple, single word, "blocking". For me, it is. If you don't believe me, click the link and see for yourself. Of course evading this check is easy, or else I wouldn't even have posted their stock photo. That's not my point though. It's just one of those things I don't like.

...the US created the internet.

... and its government is running and sponsoring an organisation that actively spies on it. ;)

Right, to sum things up, the Butler right-folding stock seems to have costed $95 and now it's on a $141 tag, according to http://www.theconsumerlink.com/butlercreek/list/butlerstocks/105/1 .
I admit it looks crude and is expensive for its price tag. I'll repeat my question; are there any alternatives for me to explore?

Thanks

I don't know of any that you haven't already found. At least none that are likely to ship to your home country without loads of export/import paperwork to comply with export laws.

These are the ones that I don't think you're aware of.

https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/itar.html

Other countries may not have a problem selling gun parts abroad. I'm certain that the U.S. isn't the only location where shotgun buttstocks are made. Perhaps you can purchase one from them.

I went back and re-read your earlier replies, and I don't see where you said you were going to swap your shell carrier (side saddle) to the other side of the receiver. When reading it, was challenging to understand what you wanted to accomplish.

Yes, the U.S. Government (and virtually all other governments and regimes around the world) are spying on everyone and even internally. That shouldn't surprise anyone, but regardless of my opinions about that, I have no control over what any government does. Mine, or anywhere else, any more than you do.

If someone else knows of a solution to your dilemma, I'm sure they will reply. Otherwise, that is all this redneck can help you with.

I've just contacted a few firearms importers here in SK and I have been informed that a Choate Mossberg 500 Folding Stock is also one of the stocks I'm looking for, since they cannot, at this moment, import the Butler stocks.
However, the Choate stock also comes with a forend that requires to be swapped against the original one. I don't mind that, though.

Here it is, if any others are interested: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/71...ossberg-500-590-600-steel-and-synthetic-black

Looks like they're being manufactured for over 20 years now. I think I'll give it a try.

I have a choate folding stock on my MP5.

They have very good customer service.

I have cracked my receiver mount twice, and they have replaced it twice with no questions asked.

Back