• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ripping off hull base. (Sold the gun)

Plowboy87

.22LR
My Mossberg 930 has started ripping off the hull base of certian ammo. (Gun Club and AA it runs great as always) 1 1/8 oz shot loads in particular. 1 oz not so much. Anyone else have this issue and how did you rectify it? 1211.jpg 118985803_3040939479368431_1654989964311227000_n.png

When it ejects does the plastic hull stay in the chamber?

Wonder if the shell is actually sticking in the chamber?

Can you manually drop a new shell in the chamber to see if it goes in and comes out without issue.

Has the chamber been thoroughly cleaned?

Regards

When it ejects does the plastic hull stay in the chamber?

Wonder if the shell is actually sticking in the chamber?

Can you manually drop a new shell in the chamber to see if it goes in and comes out without issue.

Has the chamber been thoroughly cleaned?

Regards

Yes the hull stays in the chamber but it is easily removed by sticking a finger into it to draw it out. (slides freely) and an unfired shell loads and ejects just fine. A fired AA, STS, or Gun Club shell is just fine too. I have cleaned the chamber and then cleaned it some more.

1 oz loads the bases do not rip off but they are loose and will rotate on the hull.

Thanks for the consideration.

Hard to diagnosis over the internet but from the pictures, especially the second one the plastic casing, seems to show scratch marks where the labeling is worn off. Not sure if that's true or if shell labeling is just bad.

I'd take a new shell and put a magic marker dot on it. Load it so the dot is at 12 o'clock position and fire it. When you extract it look for chamber marks on the plastic. If there, use the dot to reference the problem area in the chamber.

If it's hanging up on a burr or something that may be your issue. Make sure you don't have any pitting in the chamber. Pitting will cause this issue.

Obviously from what you've said your bolt and ejector are working ok but getting some dragging in the chamber.

If you can't see anything you might find someone with a bore scope and take a look. Might get local gunsmith to look at it.

Hope this helps.

Regards

I don’t suppose you have a second shotgun or a friend with a semi auto that can run a few of the worst offenders to see what happens. There are only 3 things that can be wrong. The gun, the ammo or the shooter.

I don’t suppose you have a second shotgun or a friend with a semi auto that can run a few of the worst offenders to see what happens. There are only 3 things that can be wrong. The gun, the ammo or the shooter.
My Browning Silver will eat anything I throw at it, same story with my hand me down Winchester Model 1400. This Mossberg 930 I purchased in 2016 and it has ran fine until this dove season. Hence the original question. "Anyone else have this issue and how did you rectify it?"

One of our sponsors and member here is @OR3GUN they are customizing the 930 and troubleshooting.
I would send him a msg.

I'll be entirely honest.

I have never seen that happen before. Ever. Period.

Even more confusing to me is that it's doing it with multiple brand shells and didn't ever do it before.

Kind of makes me think the action spring is aging and weakening and may need replaced because it's allowing the bolt to come back so quickly that it's like pulling a tablecloth out from under the dishes on the table.

But that is just a really wild guess.

Another wild guess would be debris or fouling underneath of the extractor maybe. I just don't know.

I'll be entirely honest.

I have never seen that happen before. Ever. Period.

Even more confusing to me is that it's doing it with multiple brand shells and didn't ever do it before.

Kind of makes me think the action spring is aging and weakening and may need replaced because it's allowing the bolt to come back so quickly that it's like pulling a tablecloth out from under the dishes on the table.

But that is just a really wild guess.

Another wild guess would be debris or fouling underneath of the extractor maybe. I just don't know.

I might try changing the action spring. I have pulled the entire bolt apart for a deep and thorough cleaning when this adventure began. I do owe Fiocchi an apology as I thought it was their shells. They comped me a couple of boxes that I shot out of my Winchester 101 Special Trap.

I might try changing the action spring. An old timer at my gun club had a similar opinion about it being a timing problem. I have pulled the entire bolt apart for a deep and thorough cleaning when this adventure began. I do owe Fiocchi an apology as I thought it was their shells. They comped me a couple of boxes that I shot out of my Winchester 101 Special Trap.

It would be great if it's just the spring, but like I said, I was just throwing a few things out there. If it's a recent development, aside from cleaning it, had you made any changes prior?

Obviously, something has changed. Pinpointing that may help.

At worst, you may end up having to send it in for repair work to the factory and be sure to at least send some pictures of the shells if you don't want to send a couple different hulls themselves along with the gun.

It would be great if it's just the spring, but like I said, I was just throwing a few things out there. If it's a recent development, aside from cleaning it, had you made any changes prior?

Obviously, something has changed. Pinpointing that may help.

At worst, you may end up having to send it in for repair work to the factory and be sure to at least send some pictures of the shells if you don't want to send a couple different hulls themselves along with the gun.

The first problem it gave me this year was light primer strikes, a fresh firing pin did not cure it so I changed the main spring (hammer spring) on advice from a few other gun forums. I have considered that might be the culprit but as it cured the light primer strikes I figured I would reach out here before chasing that bunny as this is a dedicated Mossberg group.

I bought it for it's reported light recoil when I was recovering from a rotator cuff repair. I have enjoyed this gun and taken lots of dove out of the air with it and more than a few clays but if I can't get it running the cheap stuff again it is bound for the sale table at the next gun show.

Make sure the chamber is clean and smooth but someone probably already mentioned that. Inspect with your finger and/or a bore scope. Maybe buffer spring is weak allowing the bolt to "jerk" the head off the shell? I don't know--could just be a bad batch of shells...

From an ammo prespective I've sern this from "cheap" ammo and using reloads where the wad was not seated properly. Given the pictures in ftom the op and problems with two different brands it's doubtful this malfunction is caused by the ammo.

If mine, I'd pull the barrel and inspect the chamber and forcing cone.

Guess the other question is how many times has this happened?

Regards

+
From an ammo prespective I've sern this from "cheap" ammo and using reloads where the wad was not seated properly. Given the pictures in ftom the op and problems with two different brands it's doubtful this malfunction is caused by the ammo.

If mine, I'd pull the barrel and inspect the chamber and forcing cone.

Guess the other question is how many times has this happened?

Regards
Everything in the barrel looks and feels fine. To answer your question, North of ten, south of twenty.
;

Back