• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rookie Press Operator Prepares to Blow Things Up

I've been waiting for that day . . .

I had a couple .223 Perfecta cases that were far from perfecta, in that the flash hole was way off center in the pocket. The press balked each time, I backed off the pressure and juggled things around until it seated and popped out the primer.

But my theory is:

I have four spare decapping pins, and that's why I haven't broken one! That's just how Karma works.

I should buy 3 more sizing dies, & then I will probably never have to worry about getting a case stuck in one again.

See if squirreldaddy has the decapping pin for whatever make your 223 die is.

I am very impressed with their 300 blackout decapping pins. No more stuck cases since I started using them. And it was a regular occurrence when converting 223 cases to blackout because of the nature of how that works.

Don't know if it's the hardness or temper or what, but I didn't make it through two hundred 223 to 300 blackout case conversion before the factory pin was toast. I'm not sure if it was slightly too wide and causing them to get stuck so regularly or what, but the squirrel daddy pins have given me no problem since I replaced with them.

It appears his decapping pins have a ball end instead of a square cut end.

This looks like it will help align the pin to an off-center flash hole, as long as there's no burrs. All flash holes are off a little bit but most are no problem.

But off-center flash holes are definitely the thing that cause my press to balk. Normally I won't push it when that happens. I back out and see what's wrong.

I must have been distracted or something when I forgot to lube that case, and ham-handedly seized it in the sizer. :(

But if you decide to do what I did, which is lube the OD with powdered graphite, you'd better lube every case.

I decided to try graphite because I was lubing the case bodies with RCBS-2, and then sticking the neck in a little cup of graphite just to lube the bead (the ID sizer.)

This seems like too many steps but I will continue because I didn't like how graphite lubricant works on the OD sizer.

With RCBS Lube, I don't necessarily Lube every case. I judge how much Lube to use by how the Press feels.

But I also tumble all my cases both before I size them and after I deburr them. I hate to stick dirty cases in my die. I hate to stick Lubed cases in my bullet seater. By the time I'm decapping them they're already nice and smooth so I don't need as much Lube as when decapping and sizing un-tumbled cases.

spell chekc sucks.

auto-correct sucks

I got so tired of backspacing to intentionally make the o in obama lower case to change it to an improper noun that it's not even funny.

Yes, I know that the word check above is misspelled. That was intentional.

I turned all that shit off and I correct (or make) my own mistakes. But I can't figure out how to turn off that capitalization.

Back