• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rounds Sloshing Around

Pete Diaz

.22LR
Just out of the blue I started having problems with rounds advancing when cycling the lever (they would get jammed up) & I could hear rounds sliding around in the tube. I disassembled the lever & bolt & cleaned things up which cured the cycling problem but I can still hear rounds sloshing around in the tube. I took the spring out from the top & reinstalled but that didn't help. If you have any suggestions on what I can do next I'm all ears. TIA

Mine came with a little orange plastic follower in the magazine tube. The thin end of the thing swelled up from solvent or heat and jammed in the tube.

I repaired it temporarily by simply shortening the follower. I trimmed off the thin tail with a razor blade.

That worked OK but I eventually made a nice brass follower.

I’m pretty sure you can buy aftermarket followers made of metal. It’s about the world’s simplest part to make.

Mine came with a little orange plastic follower in the magazine tube. The thin end of the thing swelled up from solvent or heat and jammed in the tube.

I repaired it temporarily by simply shortening the follower. I trimmed off the thin tail with a razor blade.

That worked OK but I eventually made a nice brass follower.

I’m pretty sure you can buy aftermarket followers made of metal. It’s about the world’s simplest part to make.

Thank you very much, I have a feeling mine may have fell out. I'll start looking for a replacement metal one.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a aftermarket supplier for Mossberg parts?

Thanks, found one on ebay, brass, $21 w shipping. Will update once its installed. When I saw a picture of the little orange bugger, I knew I saw it somewhere but not sure where. So it must've fallen out & I just ignored it.

Well I got the brass replacement follower & installed it; upside down, right side up, not sure but it didn't work in either case. There was no resistance when inserting a round. I think I'm going to use my bore sight light & see if I can find the problem.

I purchased a few Lever guns in the past five years and every one of them had some minor rust in the tube.

The same thing happened on my Mossberg 500: there was rust in the tube.

So I cleaned up the magazine tube with my Schwab-its & it came out reddish brown. I also found the old follower stuck in there & removed it. Installed the new brass follower & all is well in 464 land again. Cycles, fires & loads as it should. Thanks for all the help gents.

Back